The Cayman is no 911

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 01:13 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a great car! Don't sell it short

It's near perfect Weight distribution F:R 47:53 vs the 911 F:R 38:62 makes it a handling champ.

This allows for easier rotation in the corners and a great driving experience.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:42 AM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I very nearly bought a Cayman S before pulling the trigger on the C2S.

My wife kind of talked me into the 911 - she correctly reckoned that being my first Porsche and knowing that I have really wanted a 911 for years now I would regret getting a Cayman S.

Even the full leather interior in the Cayman looked cheesy to me.

Honestly - I prefer the vehicle dynamics of a mid engine car over a rear engine car. That is part of the reason I kept my S2000 after getting the C2S - it's just more fun to have a car that I don't have to force to rotate. On the track I feel I need to compensate for the engine hanging out over the real wheels and I don't really like it. It's going to be a street cruiser from here on out and the S2000 is going to get all of the track/auto-x time with the exception of PCA events.

Out to play on Monday:

If Porsche had come out with a GT1 block GT3 engine 987 and called it the Cayman RS that would have been my choice.

If I had my way I'd ditch the joke of a back seat, put the engine in the 911 in the middle of the car - ditch the ugly rear end of the Cayman S and make the most awesome 911 in history.
Attached Images   

Last edited by lig; 08-28-2009 at 02:20 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:55 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We drove them at PDS, I was impressed with them.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I started my Porsche life as a teenager in a mid-engined one. (914). What a fine car that was,--underpowered, which taught you how to deal with driving a car with only 69 horsepower. But the handling was super! Then, onto a 911S with a large step up in power (157HP) and that heavy 40-60 rear weight bias. But you sunk or swam. But I missed that mid-engined handling. It was so easy! Then onto a turbocharged 911 with 270 HP and still that squirrely rear end. Still missed the mid-engine. But finally with my present 997S cab and 355HP I am happy with the handling,--highly dialed in by Porsche. The Cayman is a beautiful platform, with great lines. For those new to Porsche, a Cayman is a great start to learn how to drive, before you transition to the complexity of a rear engined car. But the Cayman is still a nice looking car, with plenty of capability in the right hands. Most competent Cayman S drivers can smoke the average Carrera driver these days.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:32 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As I stated before, I have zero problem with the Cayman and Boxster platforms. My beef is with the Cayman's build quality. It was not what I have come to expect of Porsches. Both of my 911s have been tight as a drum.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:43 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lig
I very nearly bought a Cayman S before pulling the trigger on the C2S.

My wife kind of talked me into the 911 - she correctly reckoned that being my first Porsche and knowing that I have really wanted a 911 for years now I would regret getting a Cayman S.

Even the full leather interior in the Cayman looked cheesy to me.

Honestly - I prefer the vehicle dynamics of a mid engine car over a rear engine car. That is part of the reason I kept my S2000 after getting the C2S - it's just more fun to have a car that I don't have to force to rotate. On the track I feel I need to compensate for the engine hanging out over the real wheels and I don't really like it. It's going to be a street cruiser from here on out and the S2000 is going to get all of the track/auto-x time with the exception of PCA events.

Out to play on Monday:

If Porsche had come out with a GT1 block GT3 engine 987 and called it the Cayman RS that would have been my choice.

If I had my way I'd ditch the joke of a back seat, put the engine in the 911 in the middle of the car - ditch the ugly rear end of the Cayman S and make the most awesome 911 in history.
That's two great, inspiring photos. The car looks great and you're clearly enjoying the track time.

All you need now is to get that weight transfer to the rear. : )

Have you got ceramics on that? Rare!
Old 08-28-2009, 02:53 AM
lig
Racer

Thanks. It's a ton of fun and the car stops like crazy. The PCCBs are awesome. No dust. Look cool.

This layout is super tight and favors a smaller, tail happy car. I'm comfy with PSM off and rotating at a bigger faster layout but not this one.

Ran R888s and as much camber as the OEM control arms would allow but if I were to get serious I would like a bigger rear bar and way more camber up front. Most of the day was an exercise in understeer managment.

S2000 is another discussion - it's neutral to tail happy and really a lot of fun to slide around. Not to mention way cheaper to replace.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:02 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lig
Thanks. It's a ton of fun and the car stops like crazy.

This layout is super tight and favors a smaller, tail happy car. I'm comfy with PSM off and rotating at a bigger faster layout but not this one.

Ran R888s and as much camber as the OEM control arms would allow but if I were to get serious I would like a bigger rear bar and way more camber up front. Most of the day was an exercise in understeer managment.

S2000 is another discussion - it's neutral to tail happy and really a lot of fun to slide around. Not to mention way cheaper to replace.
Risk is definitely a factor -- too much money at risk and you're not having fun.

The R888's are not a great tire and I believe Toyo is changing back to an RA-1 (like) tire due to so many complaints.

I can see the understeer problem, that's really a fast-in problem, but I know the frustration if the car's not aligned and, as you point out, if the soft factory rear sway bar is making the car plow, it takes assertive driving and a lot of practice to get that weight transfer. You sound like you're ready for a the PSDS courses -- they do a great job of showing 911 drivers how to use the brakes and how weight management (and "wait" management aka patience) will have you taking the 911 through short courses that are barely the size of a basketball court (for the skid pad, double clutch and trail brake drills.) You'll start the first day cursing the PSM, but by the afternoon of the second day, it's not an issue.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 AM
lig
Racer

I really should commit to learn to drive this thing faster but my S2000 is set up so beautifully that I really prefer it's handling characteristics.

Lots 'o camber, stiff coilovers for such a light car 10k/10k, sticky wide tires and 50/50 weight distribution.

I'm with you on the R888s. Not nearly as sticky as the V710s and noisy as all get out on the street. They do take the heat pretty well though.

I can trail brake the S2000 very late, rotate the car and nail the gas pretty early. If I try that in the C2S - it'll push unless I do something crazy to get the tail out like a quick lift off the throttle...
Old 08-28-2009, 03:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lig
I really should commit to learn to drive this thing faster but my S2000 is set up so beautifully that I really prefer it's handling characteristics.

Lots 'o camber, stiff coilovers for such a light car 10k/10k, sticky wide tires and 50/50 weight distribution.

I'm with you on the R888s. Not nearly as sticky as the V710s and noisy as all get out on the street. They do take the heat pretty well though.

I can trail brake the S2000 very late, rotate the car and nail the gas pretty early. If I try that in the C2S - it'll push unless I do something crazy to get the tail out like a quick lift off the throttle...
It sounds like you're starting to see the difference between the 911 and other cars. Neither right nor wrong, just very different. If you master the 911, the S2K will never satisfy you again. : ) And there's no "law" against an abrupt turn-in with the weight forward to "chuck" the 911 into a turn and get the abrupt rotation required to make a tight radius in a 3000lb+ car on hot, sticky tires. Try a lot more pressure in the rears to compensate for the soggy rear sway -- I was running 44 hot in a C4S Cab just to be sure the rear would be easy to manage with the throttle and that was on Laguna Seca where some apex speeds were 80 mph. Imagine the excess stick you've got in the rear of the 911 around an autocross. And for me, PSM didn't murmur unless I'd already made a gross mistake (transitioned into excessive oversteer without power on.)

I'd encourage you to not give up on the 911 -- developing the skills to control the 911 is a rewarding path (and I'm not suggesting I'm all that far down that path ... but I'm enjoying the journey.)
Old 08-28-2009, 03:41 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

There's no point on this thread. Two very different cars. Yes I prefer a 911 but the Cayman is a fantastic car. There 's no point in putting it down. It sounds like a kid bragging about his toy being better than his neighbor's. Senseless, really.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:53 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
There's no point on this thread. Two very different cars. Yes I prefer a 911 but the Cayman is a fantastic car. There 's no point in putting it down. It sounds like a kid bragging about his toy being better than his neighbor's. Senseless, really.
It's a well worn debate and a futile comparison. The Boxster is a great, great car and the Cayman is, well, the more expensive hard top version. They're held back by lesser engines and four corners of struts instead of at least the equivalent of the 911 rear end.

It's certainly not just some dopey kid bragging about spending more money or some Boxster/Cayman driver being seen as penniless because they didn't have the funds to get a 911.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:12 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

It sounds like a kid bragging about his toy being better than his neighbor's. Senseless, really.
Absolutely hitting the nail on the head.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:05 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Relax. It's just a thread to compare two different Porsche models.

I have found the responses very interesting and educational.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
rvklein
Racer

Both of my 911s have been tight as a drum
my 2002 996 rattled alot.

Quick Reply: The Cayman is no 911