Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pet Peeves of my 997... maybe someone can help me out?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 01:46 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Pet Peeves of my 997... maybe someone can help me out?

i LOVE my 997, love love love it!.. only 2 things bother me tho.. maybe others on the board have had the same problems and can shed some light on these 2 problems...

1st problem: my "auto leveling" headlights seem to autolevel very low... i know that driver headlight is always lower not to "glare" to oncoming drivers.. and i know they should angle downward as they go out.. but i feel mine angle too far down. i know there are "readers" on the driver side to auto level them but is their an overrride possible to bring them back up? my left headlight goes about 50ft in front of car and right about 65-70ft... they are crystal clear but again i think just a tad low.. i tried looking at the "readers" on the chassis but their is no adjustment i can see..

2nd problem: when damp outside my windows make the loudest screech in the world when lowering and raising.. yes i know its because of the water and the rubber..but still ive never had this problem on a car of mine before. is there some kind of lube i can place somewhere? or maybe check that soemthing is lined up right? getting really annoying and borderline embarassing when you go to put down window and screeches like theirs a bird in my car.

thank you for any and all help,
Old 07-03-2009, 01:59 AM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestions other than sympathy; however, may I take this opportunity to point out my personal problems?

1. The key. Which perverted engineer thought up this design? It's dreadful.

2. It is impossible to drive with windows even slightly open if its raining without water dripping in.

3. There is no one-touch turn off for the a/c or heater. The rocker has to be pressed repeatedly until the fan stops. (I'd love to hear from someone that I have thos wrong!)

4. Notwithstanding 1, 2 and 3, the car is just too wonderful for words in all respects.

5. See 4.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:10 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
3. There is no one-touch turn off for the a/c or heater. The rocker has to be pressed repeatedly until the fan stops. (I'd love to hear from someone that I have thos wrong!)
That's a good one, Drax. I didn't realize this was an annoyance until you pointed it out just now.

For more oldies but goodies on the subject: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...the-997-s.html
Old 07-03-2009, 03:15 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

I suppose you are referring to the ventilation level... the AC can be turned off w/ a single click of the 'Eco' button on 997.1 models or the 'AC Off' button on 997.2 models. And actually that is sound design - the AC should be turned off a couple of miles before shutting off the engine for the day and the ventilation should be on to dry out the ventilation pipes during that time.

The heater can be turned off by lowering the set temp, of course.

But, as you say, shutting down the fan turns everything off. What's wrong with that?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:14 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

What you need is a 356! Then ...

1. Auto leveling headlights!!!??? Adjust screws at 4:00 o'clock and 8:00 o'clock to your liking.

2. Windows screeching? When you "wind" them down, just hope they stay in the tracks.

3. Key? Could not be simpler.

4. Rain? It's frickin rusting everywhere - watch out!

5. A/C? It's called 260 - 2 windows down at 60mph!

6. Heater? Hahaha! Dress warm!

I love my 356!!! But I have no complaints at all when I compare my TT!
Old 07-03-2009, 09:59 AM
richc
Pro

Originally Posted by jcnesq
What you need is a 356! Then ...

1. Auto leveling headlights!!!??? Adjust screws at 4:00 o'clock and 8:00 o'clock to your liking.

2. Windows screeching? When you "wind" them down, just hope they stay in the tracks.

3. Key? Could not be simpler.

4. Rain? It's frickin rusting everywhere - watch out!

5. A/C? It's called 260 - 2 windows down at 60mph!

6. Heater? Hahaha! Dress warm!

I love my 356!!! But I have no complaints at all when I compare my TT!
WOW. That brought back some memories.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:29 AM
peterm
Racer

key - is even more annoying in the 997.2 as it now has a metallic rim for the key ring which has an everpresent rattle when driving- the plastic 997.1 didnt have that
Old 07-03-2009, 11:01 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
That's a good one, Drax. I didn't realize this was an annoyance until you pointed it out just now.

For more oldies but goodies on the subject: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...the-997-s.html
Is that because you never drive your car?
Old 07-03-2009, 12:23 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 120 Posts

Sorry, can't help you out but as long as we're addressing annoyances:

Can't see the rear spoiler elevate at 75 mph on a 997. I always considered it a successful trip to work when I could see the rear spoiler elevate in my 996. Miss that on my 997 (that's probably the only thing I miss on my 997 relative to the 996)
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
key - is even more annoying in the 997.2 as it now has a metallic rim for the key ring which has an everpresent rattle when driving- the plastic 997.1 didnt have that
Ha - I thought it was only me. I'm "testing" key chains now. "No key chain" may be one of the better solutions. I got one of those "911" with a short blue wrist strap to try - cloth strap connects to the key, so no rattle except for the key chain itself, but I think I have stopped that with some rubber.

Where to put the key when not using it... If they make these keys any larger I'll need to get the roof rack system installed to mount the key to.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:52 PM
peterm
Racer

this is a great thread- I had fogotton how much that spoiler issue bothered me when I had the 997.1 only now to be reminded It continues with the 997.2

no dipstick I find a huge PIA

finding a central display I like is also a bother - mpg- who cares, avg speed useless, tire pressure eliminates the radio call letters, rarely use nav- leaving me with miles remaining with fuel
Old 07-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

draxa - I completely agree with you here. I appreciate that I can turn the A/C off with a push of a button (as I normally do a block or so before I get home) but why must I repeatedly reduce the fan speed to turn it all of. Why no "off" button?

I also get annoyed that the passenger side window is auto down but only quasi auto up? Again, why?

Finally, I personally think the PCM/nav/stereo whatchamajiggy in my 997.1 is just crap. It's nowhere near as user friendly as the units in cars costs fractions of what my P car cost and it's just stupid that there's no proper Ipod interface let alone the fact that a CD changer was an expensive option. Granted, some of that has been remedied by the 997.2 but come on Porsche... you can do better.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm

no dipstick I find a huge PIA
I forgot about this... AMEN.

Call me a dinosaur but I would really prefer to check my own oil every once in a while. I just don't completely feel comfortable relying on the computer... esp. since its the same computer that gives me crap information about tire pressure (I know... it's two different systems but you get the point).
Old 07-03-2009, 01:37 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
d

I also get annoyed that the passenger side window is auto down but only quasi auto up? Again, why?
Well, I kinda sympathise/understand with Porsche on this one; it is, apparently, a safety issue. They are concerned about little children hanging out the window and pressing the 'up' button with dire consequences.

One final gripe; have you ever had to contort yourself in order to properly clean the inside of the rear window? Not a design fault, in truth, but a serious pain (literally and figuratively).
Old 07-03-2009, 01:52 PM
q2bruiser
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for you guys. Since the AC actually dries the air why do you turn off the AC a bit before getting home? Seems like you would actually pull moisture into the ventilation system.

Quick Reply: Pet Peeves of my 997... maybe someone can help me out?