Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those of you who are cyclists...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:43 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default for those of you who are cyclists...

after 21Yrs of being away, i went to the store for two-wheelers for the 5 yr olds.

Lord, the new bikes are so trick. bought a Specialized Roubix first, but went to have it fit and switched to a custom.so different, so fast, so comfortable.

it would seem that some/many here may share the disease and i wondered what sophisticated tastes that chose 997's (shameless attempt to avoid being OT) such as you would prefer to ride.

sorry if this is too OT, but i wouldn't dream of posting on that forum...
Old 06-26-2009, 06:23 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

Look 595

I like to spend money on all of my toys

Last edited by Izzone; 01-13-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:24 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Hey, I only have a 996, but I am a very regular cyclist. I have a Trek Madone SL which is a few years old. I think my fast friends look down on me a bit as not being enough of a bike snob. Oh well, I can live with the pain.

I have loved having the carbon fiber frame. Next bike? I'm really not sure. I like what I am seeing in the Specialized and the Cervélo lines. I guess I'm still not enough of a bike snob to go with the Euro brands.

I like to hang with the faster guys, which strangely, is something you can still do (mostly) at an older age in this sport. So a Roubix is a bit relaxed for my tastes. Still an awesome bike, just not for me.

It's a great sport to stay active, but it is really hard to do once in a while because so much of it is endurance. That takes time and consistency to develop.

Have fun!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:42 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Izzone
Look 595

I like to spend money on all of my toys
OH!!!

that's what i'm talking about...

gorgeous!!!

what gear are you running?
Old 06-26-2009, 06:46 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

yeah, the Roubix was a little soft ( i think the guy in the store saw my gray hair and thought i was here for looks), and after each ride, my arms/hands were numb and my knees were awful. which is why i went for a fit. bottom line was the frame was ALL WRONG.

got a Serotta Meivici w/ Super Record all over. what a difference. having it changed to 11-21 though since 11-25 is useless around here. will grab some pics when i get her back

i know i'm going to get a TT like Izzone here (on second look, maybe it's not a TT, what's up Izzone? looks like an aero seat post but no aero bars?), but they recommended i go with a roadie first till i'm toughened up. Cervelo makes some beauties!

Originally Posted by DCP
Hey, I only have a 996, but I am a very regular cyclist. I have a Trek Madone SL which is a few years old. I think my fast friends look down on me a bit as not being enough of a bike snob. Oh well, I can live with the pain.

I have loved having the carbon fiber frame. Next bike? I'm really not sure. I like what I am seeing in the Specialized and the Cervélo lines. I guess I'm still not enough of a bike snob to go with the Euro brands.

I like to hang with the faster guys, which strangely, is something you can still do (mostly) at an older age in this sport. So a Roubix is a bit relaxed for my tastes. Still an awesome bike, just not for me.

It's a great sport to stay active, but it is really hard to do once in a while because so much of it is endurance. That takes time and consistency to develop.

Have fun!

Last edited by allegretto; 06-26-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Figures this group of guys and gals would love to collect expensive toys. I am an avid cyclist as well. I went with a Pinarello F4:13 CF road bike this year to replace my Bianchi Titanium as my daily rider. I am not a watch or boat enthusiast, so it's just bikes and cars for me. !
Old 06-26-2009, 06:54 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Specialized S-works ruby, ladies version of the roubaix. I am just too short for the mens version, but I need to get back out and ride! Nice Look!!! My next bike will be a Cervelo.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:14 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
Super Record
Yeah, baby! Nice.

But why a 21, especially since you have 11 cogs to play with? You must have a hill or two somewhere no? We have only modest hills around here. An 11 is pointless for me since I'm not doing any big descents. I was hanging at 30 a couple of rides ago with a 12-23 and was not geared out.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wait until Mooty sees this thread!!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DCP
Yeah, baby! Nice.

But why a 21, especially since you have 11 cogs to play with? You must have a hill or two somewhere no? We have only modest hills around here. An 11 is pointless for me since I'm not doing any big descents. I was hanging at 30 a couple of rides ago with a 12-23 and was not geared out.
i know. in Chicago we're quite flat too. the shop maven suggested 11-23. maybe i'll go with his rec. i just know that i'll never use 39-25 for anything around here. maybe in CA they need it?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:50 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

i know. in Chicago we're quite flat too. the shop maven suggested 11-23. maybe i'll go with his rec. i just know that i'll never use 39-25 for anything around here. maybe in CA they need it?
Just my $0.02 here. Feel free to ignore. Unless you are massively strong from something else, and you have to be massively strong to need an 11 without a big, long descent, consider a 12-25. I suspect that you will find some hills (they're fun - I go find them) and while you are getting up to speed, the easier gearing will help. You can switch to the fast guy gearing later if you want it and retain the easier cog to switch to if you ever go climbing.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd go w/ the 11-23. The 11-21 is a nice idea but it's just always better to have a bail-out cog no matter where you live. Do you know how to figure gear inches? If not, divide the number of teeth in the chain ring (39 teeth small ring/53 teeth large ring is standard unless you are running a compact) by the teeth in the cog. Now multiply the ratio by the diameter of the wheel (off the top of my head, one set of wheels I have has a diameter of 2.117 meters). The product is the distance you travel in one revolution of your cranks. Do this for each combination and you will see how much over-lap you have in an 11x23 (or 11x21) cog set with your chain rings. The point is, you have so many combinations that it never hurts, on your first cog set, to have more cogs than you think you need. It's also nice to have a slightly larger cog in case you decide to mix and match chain rings.

I live at the base of the Oakland hills. Every ride involves at least 4K feet of climbing and I rarely need anything lower than a 39x19 (39 tooth chain ring 19 tooth cog) but I mash gears and put more miles training on my bike per year than driving my car.

New bikes are trick but it all comes down to the engine.

2002 Seven Axiom (14.65 lbs. w/ mixed Record and after market components w/o Zipps)
2000 Cervelo P3 (5th 56 cm produced. Heavy, uncomfortable as hell but lighting fast)
1995 Litespeed Classic (hasn't been off the trainer in 9 years)
Old 06-26-2009, 09:07 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DCP
Just my $0.02 here. Feel free to ignore. Unless you are massively strong from something else, and you have to be massively strong to need an 11 without a big, long descent, consider a 12-25. I suspect that you will find some hills (they're fun - I go find them) and while you are getting up to speed, the easier gearing will help. You can switch to the fast guy gearing later if you want it and retain the easier cog to switch to if you ever go climbing.
hey, no, i need enlightened input. well right now i effectively am using 12-25 since i don't think i need 11. i went to it once just to feel it and even on the somewhat gentle downslope it was work.

the nice thing about super record is that it comes with 5 individual cogs in the smaller numbers, then two sets of three. so if i want to go 11-23 or 11-21 i just change the big three.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

the nice thing about super record is that it comes with 5 individual cogs in the smaller numbers
Trust me, that is not the only nice thing about Super Record. Shimano cassettes are the same set up, but as far as I know you can't buy the individual cogs. Jerks.

Also, I just realized that Super Record is available in a compact crankset. I was assuming that you had a 39-53 crankset, but if you are using 34-50 chainrings, ignore my comments entirely.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:36 PM
lgascoig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

High end stuff you want something like the Pinarello Prince or a Colnago C50. Colnago also works with Ferrari so it's perfect for car guys!

Quick Reply: for those of you who are cyclists...