Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

+1 on frame and wheels. That is where to spend all of your money
Old 06-28-2009, 10:15 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you use clinchers, or go with the fancy stuff?
Old 06-28-2009, 10:33 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by allegretto
Clinchers.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sand8
If you know your size, you may want to check out: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm

I bought the Immortal Force carbon fiber bike with Ultegra for $1600. I am using it mostly for weekend 40 miles ride.
My offroad bike is Intense Uzzi SL, and am not using it too much since moving to Houston.

Sinclair
Thanks for the tip ... BikesDirect.com rocks ...

Does anyone have experience or feedback with the Kestrel Talon?
($1499 Kestrel Talon Carbon Road Bike + Ultegra SL 6600G + FSA Carbon)

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...on_08_road.htm
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd say spend little on your 1st bike - then learn what style riding you like and what things about the bike you'd like to change. There are so many bikes now from high-end road and mountain (which most of us probably need even less than we need a 911) to trail, urban, cruising, commuter, long haul bikes, and on an on. Steel frames, carbon frames, aluminum - and all can make sense depending on the application.

I noticed a huge difference going from a $500'ish bike to a $900'ish bike with better Shimano components (brakes, hubs, crank, derailleurs) - like driving a Toyota Corolla stick compared to a BMW 5 series almost - night and day really.

Saddles are another big thing to sort out - after you get the riding style sorted. Brooks is good choice, although the WTB comfort on my new Marin I am preferring to the Brooks so far. I grew up with banana seats and that was comfort - modern bikes are just short of butt/crotch torture machines really. All this high-tech crap and a century+ old Brooks design is still one of the better choices - WTF?

Be careful with sizing - do your research as there are at least 3 popular sizing notions - and from what I can tell and have experienced, it is typical to under-size bikes in the US. I traded my 1st bike in for the next size up after a year (no charge - REI is great!) and purchased my newer bike in that same size. I think it is more of a French sizing that I preferred (get the largest frame you can ride or something like that) - at any rate, it takes some time in the saddle to know what you will feel good with and 1/4 inches make a difference when dialing it in. A couple inches in frame size makes a huge difference and some dimension problems cannot be corrected with saddle and handlebar adjustments.

Don't plunk down a $2K+ if you have not been through all this before. Plenty of time for that later.

That's my 2c on that.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:06 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by DPorcella
Lived in Marin and SF without a car for best part of two decades car-less. Now my main bike is an XT-equipped 29er.!
A 29er is a good call but you don't need no stinkin' shocks. You should try a cross bike for the trails on Tam.

Originally Posted by DPorcella
(What's with all you guys from the dead flat parts of the US with all the fancy bikes? I'd love to take you Houston and Clearwater folks over Mt. Tam to Stinson Beach and back of a Sunday. . . )
I lived in Houston before moving to CA and thought I was a decent cyclist. And then I tried climbing with the pack and was off the back in no time. Now, 16 yrs later and living high on Mt Tam, it's a piece of cake.

Back to the OP, buy 43/52 chainrings with a 12-25 a cassette. You'll soon discover spinning and find that mashing is . dave
Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 AM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Izzone
+1 on frame and wheels. That is where to spend all of your money
Absolutely right.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:22 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

thread too long
just got back from 100+ deg track.
if this is bike for your 5 yr. get him the cheapest crap you can find. something in excess of 50 lbs, train them early.

if it's for you. do you have hills in your state?
i am in SF, i have 53/39 (being a purist) but i have to cheat with 12/25 cogs
my next bike i am going micro drive.

various ppl mentioned these bikes, here are my 3 cents of useless opinion.

Masi: old schoool, great lugs, sexy but OLD. i would buy one to look, not to ride. (as you can tell, i dont believe in "steel is real" LOL. steel is history)

Miveci (sp): serotta.... well.... i dont like them. just dont like custom bikes anymore. had too many felt it's all markeing. the bike that fits me the best are off the shelf C50 and TIME. though it is a nice bike and with super record, you could be in $20k range easy.

Pinarello: old ones are work of art, see my comments on masi (same for de rosa as well), new pinerello, you have to be either heavy and a gear masher or young with strong lower back. the carbon prince etc are too stiff imo. my back can't deal with it. but great bikes and the power transfer is unreal.

Colnago: old one's are work of art. new C50 is wonderful. soft but not too soft, stiff but not too stiff. i love my C50.

Look: almost as good as colnago, but not quite there.

Felt and orbea: nice, but dont' fit my wired body shape.

time: this is IT. ugly graphics, but you got to ride one to understand. i would take this over my C50.

specilized: modone, heard great things about it, never ridden one.

seven: i have just about every model they make. ti is history. carbon is where it is at. you dont have to agree with me. i have over 20 Ti bikes from seven, moots, merlin, indy.... none of them hold a candle to my C50

moots: see seven
merlin: old merlin XLM is wonderful, but rob vandermark left merlin 10 yr or so ago, merlin is litespeed now, not good. chk out the welds. my dogs can weld better.

campy rules. i have record, but i want super record..... ;-)

potts

e 53/39 is better. that the 50/34
Old 06-29-2009, 01:23 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

clinchers. sewn ups takes too much time when u get a flat. of course if you have support car behind u like lance.. then.....

today's clinchers are great. i love grandprix 4000. dont last long thought. but i ride them to the cord, just like my toyos.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:26 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cgfen
ok, sorry, i'm a bozo.
i didn't know that C had resurrected the Super Record groupo recently.
sigh
way too much CF for my taste.

cheers

Craig

well, you can always use the classic record "delta" brakes. i still have a pair. heavy has hell, oh but the machining...... pure sex.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:33 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

i know. in Chicago we're quite flat too. the shop maven suggested 11-23. maybe i'll go with his rec. i just know that i'll never use 39-25 for anything around here. maybe in CA they need it?
if flat then run 53/39 and 11/21, be a man!
Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
Cgfen:

Do you, or have you in the past, jumped out of perfectly good airplanes? If so - yes, we've met. I think we chatted a few years ago during a ride with BB, perhaps the ride past the Sahm house in Rancho Santa Fe on one of BB's Masi memorial rides. Weren't you in a brief partnership with BB? I was a skydiving buddy of Mike Howard.

To get back on topic (997s) I caught the Porsche bug pretty recently. Started with an '08 C2, which set the hook in my mouth. I went to the Performance and Masters classes at PSDS in April of this year, and got to drive the C2, C2S (PDK) and turbo (tip) at Barber. At that point, I was doomed. About a month ago I traded in the C2 on an '09 C2S PDK launch car, the green over sand beige version.

Dwight Moore
'09 C2S PDK
'08 S4 Avant
that's me.
i'll send you my contact info via pm
P is new to me too.
Maya bought a Cayman S 3 years ago and WOW, opened my eyes.

Just rode by that "million dollar driveway" yesterday, ( on my 3 Rensho )

best

Craig

cheers

Craig
Old 06-30-2009, 07:16 PM
DPorcella
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Yeah, that's right, big legs: THREE of them!

. . . and I WAS just kiddin' you guys about living in the flatlands, because us hillbillies like to do that. Now that I'm up in the Sierra foothills instead of the Bay Area, it's even more extreme ups and downs.

Truth is, after spending 20 years mashing up one side of Mt. Tam and descending the other side like a maniac . . . I CAN'T SPIN!!

So shut my mouf! I can't spin. You guys in Clearwater and Houston could run away from me on a flat so fast. . .

But if you like passing cars on a fast and twisty descent, I can show you some serious kamikaze!

GO LANCE!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

anyone have a good carrier that would work with a 997 Cab and not damage the car or the bike?
I use this system on my 986 and it works great!!

I highly recommend it!!

http://www.willwoodsystem.com/products.htm
Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
campy rules. i have record, but i want super record..... ;-)
Point/Counter-point.....

Dura Ace rules!!

I have DA on my Kuota, and Record on my Griffen.

Like most things Japanese the DA is super crisp and accurate in it's operation and like most thing Italian, Record is nice but finicky and not as crisp.....

Quick Reply: for those of you who are cyclists...