Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

for those of you who are cyclists...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:44 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

specilized: modone, heard great things about it, never ridden one.

If you are referring to the Madone...it's made by Trek, not Specialized. I've owned several Specialized bikes and by far the S-works is the bomb for me! I am looking to get a Cervelo in about 50lbs!!!

and DuraAce does rule especially the compact!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:40 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ray S
Point/Counter-point.....

Dura Ace rules!!

I have DA on my Kuota, and Record on my Griffen.

Like most things Japanese the DA is super crisp and accurate in it's operation and like most thing Italian, Record is nice but finicky and not as crisp.....
i know you have more experience than me, but my Specialized had DA 7800 and the Serotta has Campy SR. the SR is just more precise and predictable. both are crisp.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
specilized: modone, heard great things about it, never ridden one.

If you are referring to the Madone...it's made by Trek, not Specialized. I've owned several Specialized bikes and by far the S-works is the bomb for me! I am looking to get a Cervelo in about 50lbs!!!

and DuraAce does rule especially the compact!
u are corect, trek makes madone. where the *** did i get specialized
Old 07-01-2009, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Point/Counter-point.....

Dura Ace rules!!

I have DA on my Kuota, and Record on my Griffen.

Like most things Japanese the DA is super crisp and accurate in it's operation and like most thing Italian, Record is nice but finicky and not as crisp.....
dura ace and campy record are both great stuff. but it's almost like religion, some love campy and others favor DA.

DA is indeed crisper, but i like campy. more like women. finicky, but if you bend them just right....
Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Killdog
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fun fact.

In his heyday, Lance Armstrong could time trial for an hour, pushing about 500 watts, which equals...

...about 0.67 horsepower.

Kinda makes you think differently about what lies behind the four-wheeled machine in your garage!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:24 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See, I told you to wait until Mooty saw this thread.... he knows his bikes!

Yes, I said it in a "fun" way; not an "I told you so" way.

20 pages!!!!
Old 07-01-2009, 01:33 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to replace my Litespeed (ferrari California metallic blue-$400 paint job-with the fork) with a bike with full campy carbon that would be cool. Since I spent some time with Greg LeMond last year in Mammoth he convinced me that his carbon bikes are the best on the market. He offered me and my buddy
(2004 National TT champ 40-45 YO) road bikes at cost. Tim took advantage of it and its a work of art. Really. Greg did give me a Carbon stem for my litespeed. He drank beer with us for 4 hours putting his bike together then rode a century the next morning at 8000' altitude!!
BTW Greg is a BIG boy now, no longer a 140 lb guy!!(200 I think?) His son is now a pro cyclist. Jeff. I gave him a ride in my GT3. He wants to win the tour now.
I posted some pics last year I think.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts
Default drive-n-ride

Originally Posted by allegretto
it would seem that some/many here may share the disease and i wondered what sophisticated tastes that chose 997's (shameless attempt to avoid being OT) such as you would prefer to ride.
after watching "the boys" suffer up the Tourmalet on Sunday, i decided to go for a nice drive-n-ride in the hills of North San Diego county.

No 997 content, cause it's easier for me to pull the passenger seat out of my 993 rather than risk Chairman Meow's ire at wrenching on her car.

it helps to ride a small bike, (50cm), for this technique to work.

be safe

Craig
Attached Images    
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
urban_alchemist
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Both in Israel and London I spend most of my time on bikes, but the needs are completely different. That said, one thing is the same: the need to balance comfort/performance with not-too-many-tears come the inevitable theft.

So... for Tel-Aviv (where it is, literally, an urban jungle-desert) I give you the Cannondale Caffeine F2:
(Not mine, but hey, mine's identical):

And for London, (where you get arrested for even thinking about getting on the pavement) I give you the Specialized Allez Sport:

I love 'em both to death and will be seriously upset when the inevitable happens...
Old 07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That looks very similar to my F800 which looks very similar to this one..

Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Maxsar
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Great thread.

I have an Independant Fabrication Titanium with DA components. Some of the bikes described here are fantastic and create an itch to get one, however after what I spent on my Indy there is no way that I will be buying another bike for a long long time.

I don't know a whole lot so this has been educational. I just go on long rides and wanted something relatively comfortable, but with some performance. I've been riding regularly since the early 80s but nobody will mistake me for anything but a slug. The Indy is only the third road bike I have purchased since I started riding. I have had a few other bikes for things like commuting in Manhattan when I lived there in the late 80s.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

So this did devolve into a Campag. v. Shimano thing. Bike talk always seems to hit this point. It runs along the same lines as arguments about the "best" exhaust mod. My biggest problem w/ Shimano used to be the exposed cables (v. Campy's more hidden).

LeMond Bikes? About a month ago I heard that he had a financial dispute w/ Trek and they dropped the brand. I don't care how pretty a bike is or what kind of deal you get, warranty issues become sketchy when the brand disappears (who do you complain to when you drop your CF bike, bruise it, and go looking for a warranty replacement?). Well, that's unless you don't care about that sort of thing. It's too bad LeMond (bikes) are currently off the market b/c many of the models seemed to fill a niche in the market and force competition among the mid-level brand offerings.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great to see so many cyclists here!

To get away from the Campy v. Shimano (and now SRAM) debate, we need more garage/car/bike pictures...

Craig, I too have taken out my front seat to stow a bike!

Road or mountain, nothing is better than getting in the 911 after a good ride... and letting the engine do the work.

Best,
Udo
Attached Images    
Old 07-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I want a good quality road bike, and don't want to spend a fortune. You can obviously go crazy and spend $5K plus without trying hard. Being an aging biker, I decided to go with a flat-bar model. I test drove several including the Cannondale Quick 2. I loved it (especially coming off of a Trek 7200) but ordered the Quick 1, which is slightly more money, but has upgraded wheels, shifters and derailleurs. Nice, comfortable bike for me to do 20-25 miles 3-4x a week on. http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/09/cusa/model-9QR1.html. Getting a 2010 model and should have it in a few weeks.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:44 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sweet looking ride Phil....

Just make sure you get it out of the garage more often then the C4S....

Quick Reply: for those of you who are cyclists...