Sponsored by:

for those of you who are cyclists...

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:28 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCP
Trust me, that is not the only nice thing about Super Record. Shimano cassettes are the same set up, but as far as I know you can't buy the individual cogs. Jerks.

Also, I just realized that Super Record is available in a compact crankset. I was assuming that you had a 39-53 crankset, but if you are using 34-50 chainrings, ignore my comments entirely.
well i thought about the compact set but i was somewhat leery since i knew nothing of what to expect. see, to me a 53-43 makes much more sense than a 50-34. but of course with a 50-34 the 11-21 rear makes more sense i guess...

my Specialized had DA 7800 and i was underwhelmed with the feel. i always had to look down to tell how many cogs and it was far more vague. the SR has a far more positive feel and i can accurately change 1, 2 or three cogs far more reproducibly.

anyone using a power meter? i'm wondering if it has a place for me. i love my Garmin 705!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 PM
mb996
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'08 Scott Addict R3 w/SRAM Force - I got a great deal. Unbelievable bike, stiff yet comfortable, way faster than I have the guts to push it (I get nervous above 45 mph downhill...), absolutely minimal power loss when standing on it.

Between Porsches but this satisfies my need for speed.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:19 AM
richc
Pro

On the road I ride a Trek Madone 5.5, a project one bike. On trails I ride a Fisher Sugar 2+ and when I'm shopping I'd take my Cannondale touring bike and a Bob trailer. I ride 25-30 miles a day 6 days a week, these days I'm doing primarily road rides. I use Speedplay pedals, I have a bad knee (bike racing damage when I was in my early 20's), and these are the only pedals that let me put the miles on without pain. I really enjoy riding bikes, when I'm on them I often feel like I was born to ride bikes. In the winter I set the Trek up on a Kurt fluid trainer, the one with the 18 lb flywheel - it's a great winter workout.
No power meter, I'm happy with my Garmin 305. I got asked about moving to a power meter on a recent club ride (158 miles in a day - this was tiring but for a good cause) and told him at the age of 62 the fact that the cranks are spinning is all I need to know.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:28 AM
machina
Racer

After years on my Klein road bike and getting hit twice, I only ride my Surly.

Live across from the beach, run tires at 5psi in the soft stuff and up to 10psi on the hard pack sand.

Between the ocean air and the topless girls I dont think I'll be going back to the road bike anytime soon.

Last edited by machina; 10-07-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:13 AM
sethm2
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great thread

I own 2 bikes both custom sizes.

Road- Serotta Mevici with Sram Red and a wireless SRM. The bike is riding on Zipp CSC wheels for training. WOnderful bike and light.

TT- Guru Crono full Dura Ace with SRM wireless as well. Training wheels HED bastogne. Racing wheels Zipp 404 with disc cover.

I love my 50/34. It is a great when paired with 11-26.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:25 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sethm2
I own 2 bikes both custom sizes.

Road- Serotta Mevici with Sram Red and a wireless SRM. The bike is riding on Zipp CSC wheels for training. WOnderful bike and light.

TT- Guru Crono full Dura Ace with SRM wireless as well. Training wheels HED bastogne. Racing wheels Zipp 404 with disc cover.

I love my 50/34. It is a great when paired with 11-26.
I WANT PICS!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 12:03 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bikes are my true weakness. I raced Masters for a number years, although I was never anything more than pack fodder. My favorites are lugged steel frames. My collection:

Brian Baylis, full Campy Record
(This bike won best paint and best lugs at 2007 North American Hand Built Bicycle show)
Brian Baylis, full Campy Record
(an older criterium frame from the 90's)
Richard Sachs custom, full Campy Record
Orbea Orca, full Campy Record
(my race bike from a few years ago)
Abici TT, full Campy Record with Zipp disk and Nimble trispoke wheels
(my time trial bike)
Ciocc Mockba '80, full Campy Super Record
(my fully restored first good race bike, bought new in '84)
Santana Moda, full Campy Record OR
(antique MTB)

DMoore
'09 C2S PDK (launch model)
'08 Audi S4 Avant (the bike hauler)
Old 06-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got quite a few high end bikes..

- Kuota Kalibur Tri
- Linsky Custom Tri
- Griffen Kompressor B4C Road
- Cannondale F800 Mountain
- Mongoose Rockadile Mountain
- Burley Tandem Road

Old 06-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
hey, no, i need enlightened input. well right now i effectively am using 12-25 since i don't think i need 11. i went to it once just to feel it and even on the somewhat gentle downslope it was work.

the nice thing about super record is that it comes with 5 individual cogs in the smaller numbers, then two sets of three. so if i want to go 11-23 or 11-21 i just change the big three.

You would think that it would be a simple matter to switch out the largest three cogs but Campag doesn't make it so simple. If you could special order the three cog block it would probably cost a lot more than you think (hell, one replacement chain ring bolt cost me $27). If you don't mind mixing and matching, I bet an entire Chorus cassette (or even the next line down) would be close in price or cheaper than the Super Record block of cogs. Of course, that's if price matters to you - if it doesn't, just get the 11x21 and switch out the entire cassette later if you'd rather have the 11x23.
Old 06-27-2009, 01:56 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

this is great! i'm learning a lot here.

anyone have a good carrier that would work with a 997 Cab and not damage the car or the bike?
Old 06-27-2009, 03:51 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I'd go w/ the 11-23. The 11-21 is a nice idea but it's just always better to have a bail-out cog no matter where you live. Do you know how to figure gear inches? If not, divide the number of teeth in the chain ring (39 teeth small ring/53 teeth large ring is standard unless you are running a compact) by the teeth in the cog. Now multiply the ratio by the diameter of the wheel (off the top of my head, one set of wheels I have has a diameter of 2.117 meters). The product is the distance you travel in one revolution of your cranks. Do this for each combination and you will see how much over-lap you have in an 11x23 (or 11x21) cog set with your chain rings. The point is, you have so many combinations that it never hurts, on your first cog set, to have more cogs than you think you need. It's also nice to have a slightly larger cog in case you decide to mix and match chain rings.

I live at the base of the Oakland hills. Every ride involves at least 4K feet of climbing and I rarely need anything lower than a 39x19 (39 tooth chain ring 19 tooth cog) but I mash gears and put more miles training on my bike per year than driving my car.
Good advice with the exception of the diameter of the wheel being 2.117 meters. Did you mean circumence? You can either multiply by the diameter and then by pi or by the circumference.

PS Looking at buying a C4 or C4S. Current car 01S4. Current bike 76 Masi with 52/42 up front and 13/17 in back in flat Nebraska.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Oh, and I forgot to mention, if you do buy a second cassette consider European mail order. I use Total Cycling (which is out of Belfast I think but definitely N. Ireland). I've never had any problem with them. A quick check shows an 11x23 Super Record Cassette going for $318 - in the U.S. you pay about $450 mail order and even more at the local bike shop (LBS). Postage adds about $25. (I do try to support my LBS for the things I need technical help with but for a simple cassette I just can't see the $100+ premium.)

Also, I noticed that the 6 largest cogs on Super Record are Ti. Titanium holds up well but if you end up spending a lot of time spinning one or two of the same cogs it has been my experience that they will wear out earlier rather than later (compared to steel). I don't know the construction of 11 speed (I'm still on 9 speed, which is plenty for me) so the following comment is related to 9 speed (and I'm guessing that 11 speed is of similar construction). If/when single replacement cogs (the larger ones) become available you can take the three cog carrier to a machine shop (or bike shop) and they can push out the rivets. The individual cogs will slide onto the spline, followed by the spacers and you work around the whole 3 cog in fixed carrier issue. The problem is that only the more entry level gruppos come (or used to come) in a cassette made up of individual cogs. (If everything is fixed carrier now then you still have to buy a Centaur or Veloce cassette to get one cog - which can be more economical.) There are after market options for single cogs but all I can remember right now is that they are mainly Shimano compatible. Anyway, just a thought.

Finally, you can fit your bike in the back of a Coupe (in my case) or a Cab (supposedly easy w/ the top down). When I was in France I bought a bike bag called a Housse (the spelling is probably wrong but it is pronounced HOOSE). It is a big, durable bag with inside pouches for wheels and is used for transporting bikes on the train system (the cost in 2004 was about 45 Euros). Pop the wheels off your bike, fit everything in the bag (you can add some padding to keep the wheels totally away from the frame if you like) and it fits perfectly in the back of a coupe - and the nylon bag protects your interior. (I actually use separate wheel bags when I go to races but only because it is easier - not because the Housse wouldn't work.)
Old 06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mander
Good advice with the exception of the diameter of the wheel being 2.117 meters. Did you mean circumence? You can either multiply by the diameter and then by pi or by the circumference.

PS Looking at buying a C4 or C4S. Current car 01S4. Current bike 76 Masi with 52/42 up front and 13/17 in back in flat Nebraska.
Yeah, my bad. Circumference not diameter.

Is your current bike a 1976 Masi - a la Breaking Away? (Someone correct me but didn't that bike belong to the director and he used it b/c he was a shoestring budget?) Did wonders for Masi sales. Is it Merkyx Orange? Great retro bike w/ lots of provenance - probably has just as much of a head turning quotient as a Pinerallo, DeRosa, etc,!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 04:32 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Is your current bike a 1976 Masi - a la Breaking Away? (Someone correct me but didn't that bike belong to the director and he used it b/c he was a shoestring budget?) Did wonders for Masi sales. Is it Merkyx Orange? Great retro bike w/ lots of provenance - probably has just as much of a head turning quotient as a Pinerallo, DeRosa, etc,!!!
Yes indeed I am the original owner of a 76 Masi with many miles. Restored with some NOS parts and a Baylis repaint in the original black color a few years ago. Surely not as fast as carbon but one sweet ride and indeed a head turner.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Baylis? Head-turner? Check out my Baylis:

Name:  Brian_Baylis_road_head_tube.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  41.7 KB

DMoore

'09 C2S PDK (launch model)
'08 Audi S4 Avant

Quick Reply: for those of you who are cyclists...