Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

can't find pix of my road bikes.
so mt will have to do.

Last edited by mooty; 05-26-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Sweet looking ride Phil....

Just make sure you get it out of the garage more often then the C4S....
The funny thing is I definitely put more miles on my bike than I do my car. Funny or sad? Not sure which. Maybe it's cuz the bike is technically a "cab."
Old 07-15-2009, 02:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 871 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great to see so many cyclists here!

To get away from the Campy v. Shimano (and now SRAM) debate, we need more garage/car/bike pictures...

Craig, I too have taken out my front seat to stow a bike!

Road or mountain, nothing is better than getting in the 911 after a good ride... and letting the engine do the work.

Best,
Udo
nice collection Udo!
this is the only photo i have on the work computer.
hmmmmmmm it doesn't seem so messy in real-life

best

Craig
Attached Images  

Last edited by cgfen; 07-22-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:33 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

OK guys, I need some advice. I bought a new Cannondale Quick 1 this weekend, but I examined it, it had a dent/gouge in the frame. The bike shop took it back no questions asked. My question is this. I want a flat-bar road bike, but when I shifted the Quick 1 during the test ride, unlike my Trek 7200, it has a Shimano lever shifter. Shifts were good, however I have a chronically bad left thumb and the twist shifter really is easier for me to use. The lever shifter causes some pain at the base of my thumb, so I'm reluctant to buy a bike with a lever shifter. I will spend $1600-1800 for the right bike - question is which to get. I am fine with an alloy bike with carbon forks, etc. so don't need to go >$2K for a fully carbon bike. Does Specialized or Cannondale make a bike (like the Sirrus for example) that would give me a twist shifter? I know that the low end Sirrus (around $500) has one with a twist shifter, but it's a base model without the other goodies I want. Would it make sense to simply reorder the Quick 1 and swap out the stock shifter for a high end twist shifter? I feel like I'm moving into custom territory here. Appreciate any input!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:08 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

First, this probably won't help you. If you have a bad left thumb, and the left lever controls the front derailleur, you could always put a left (or right) down tube shifter on your bike. Why this probably won't help you is because I don't think bikes are manufactured anymore with shifter bosses on the down tube (just cable guides). Hmm, a second option, again, if you have a bad left thumb, is to use a bar end shifter on the left (which fits into the end of the handle bar). You can still find bar ends pretty easily and you don't need a boss on the down tube. It's not that big of a deal to shift the front derailleur this way and you won't have to use your thumb. (I switched from an ERGO lever to a down tube shifter for the front derailleur for about 14 years ago and have never once thought it was a problem.)
Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
First, this probably won't help you. If you have a bad left thumb, and the left lever controls the front derailleur, you could always put a left (or right) down tube shifter on your bike. Why this probably won't help you is because I don't think bikes are manufactured anymore with shifter bosses on the down tube (just cable guides). Hmm, a second option, again, if you have a bad left thumb, is to use a bar end shifter on the left (which fits into the end of the handle bar). You can still find bar ends pretty easily and you don't need a boss on the down tube. It's not that big of a deal to shift the front derailleur this way and you won't have to use your thumb. (I switched from an ERGO lever to a down tube shifter for the front derailleur for about 14 years ago and have never once thought it was a problem.)
Appreciate the input - I'll go over the options with the crew at the bike shop, and then will pull the trigger. The guys at the shop thought they could swap out the lever shifter for a good quality twist shifter, which might be a good option. I'll know more in a couple of days. Thanks!!
Old 07-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
The guys at the shop thought they could swap out the lever shifter for a good quality twist shifter, which might be a good option. I'll know more in a couple of days. Thanks!!
That's probably your best move. Don't confuse your component group selection with your bike frame choice. You can put a twist shift on just about any bike if you really want to (it's actually a cheaper/less precise shift mechanism).

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ray S
That's probably your best move. Don't confuse your component group selection with your bike frame choice. You can put a twist shift on just about any bike if you really want to (it's actually a cheaper/less precise shift mechanism).

Good luck.
Yes, I'm aware - I'm going to retry a road bike with lever shifter to see if I can work it pain-free. If so, I'd rather go that route. If not, I'll go with the twist shift.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:31 AM
machina
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shimano just came out with electronic shifters/deraileurs that work really well finally, but they are wicked expensive.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:19 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by machina
Shimano just came out with electronic shifters/deraileurs that work really well finally, but they are wicked expensive.
You can also upgrade the Shimano Dura Ace 7900 group from manual to PDK ...
Old 07-22-2009, 03:34 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Is the 977.1 setup to readily accept roof racks/bike carriers?...which carrier system is the best...would I stick with Porsche ?...I'm looking at an '08 977 and will need to carry a rooftop bike or two. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2009, 05:16 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The four tabs on the roof pop out and accept a rack (sold by Porsche) that you can mount wheel trays on (I think that they are also sold by Porsche). It supposed to be a pretty easy system where the tabs pop out and the rack screws in. I looked for other bike racks (Thule, etc.) and could not find one that was offered for a Carrera. It looks like Porsche is the only game in town. (Personally, when I go to races I take off the wheels, and sometimes cranks, and the bike fits fine in the back along w/ two sets of wheels and a portable workstand - all in protective bags. Pump and gear go in the passenger seat and trainer and tool box and anything else fit under the hood.)
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Great...thanks!...I'm not so adept as to dismantle and rebuild these bikes...a kids specialized, my MTB and wifes cruiser. If it were for my Cannondale alone...I could probably figure out the disassemble deal but I always have issues putting it back together...so...simple porsche tramsport might be the answer...I'll check Thule and Yakima. My concern was whether there were vehicle mounting points.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:12 PM
scottmc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been a track cyclist all my life. I don't post much, but thought you cyclists might appreciate my current bike...
Attached Images  
Old 07-25-2009, 07:58 AM
glpellegrino
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bike cleaning day...+ one more on the roof rack....and the bike I rode this week in the Etape du Tour (Mt. Ventoux stage of the TdF)
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: for those of you who are cyclists...