Sponsored by:

Spare tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Art20c
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spare tire question

I just left deposit for 09 4S. Came home and realized that as I've been told, all new Porsches come w/o spare, just with quick fix kit. But I live in New York where roads are not always perfect, and, given that tires are low profile, there is a good chance to bend a rim. In this case fix kit wouldn't really help. How reliable Porsche rims are? Will they bend from slightest bump or it takes some serious pothole to destroy them? Will any collapsible spare from old model (say 928) fit to these new 997?
Old 06-16-2009, 07:22 PM
peterm
Racer

do a search an over discussed topic- I'm in metro ny and the rims can take a pounding would really have to hit a hole hard to bend on- which i have but with no loss of function or air- my bigger concern is leaving th ny area where there aren't a half dozen dealers with tires in stock-- that being said i carry a 996 spare (and tools)- not sure if it will fit but lets not try
Old 06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive to New York from Connecticut and not having a spare will give you nightmares. You’ll get to know the guys on 11th ave and 38th street. They fix flats for taxis and are open almost 24 hours. They can also put a patch in the tires. Over the last 4 years I’ve been there at least 6 or 7 times. It’s a unbelievable not having a spare. I’ve driven into my garage in NY and the attendant has spotted a nail in a tire. At that point you need to make a quick decision, do you leave it and hope it’s a slow leak or do you rush to 11th avenue. Or better yet, it’s Sunday morning and you you’re ready for a drive. You go into the garage and the tire is flat; nothing to do put a wait for a tow truck. If the tire is fairly new you’ll want to patch it so it needs to be towed to 11th avenue. Forget the dealer, they won’t fix it. They will suggest only give you a new tire.

Having said all that, don’t worry, it’s put a small price to pay to drive your Porsche! We all live with it.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The larger issue is where you put the takeoff. There is little room inside for these massive tires,--particularly the rears.

I understand that Porsche now has a spare listed on the configurator web site. See what they can do there.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
do a search an over discussed topic- I'm in metro ny and the rims can take a pounding would really have to hit a hole hard to bend on- which i have but with no loss of function or air- my bigger concern is leaving th ny area where there aren't a half dozen dealers with tires in stock-- that being said i carry a 996 spare (and tools)- not sure if it will fit but lets not try
Pete, you are driving around with a 996 spare tire and you are not even sure it will fit? That's like packing a bunch of clothes for a business trip, not knowing if they are your size.

You can relax, because it will fit. Just funny that you've gone through the trouble of carrying that around and you're not sure....
Old 06-16-2009, 08:51 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a collapsable spare out of my 996. Never used. New condition.
$150 plus shipping for the tire if anyone is interested.
$250 plus shipping for the spare, tools, and jack combined.
PM me.

-SOLD-

Last edited by medtech; 07-04-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Art20c
Instructor

Guys, you are all talking about spare and TOOLS. Does 997 come without jack and wrenches?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:23 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Art20c
Guys, you are all talking about spare and TOOLS. Does 997 come without jack and wrenches?
Yep - no jack and (I think) no lug wrench.

BTW, when I bought my TT a few months ago, they offered me a 5-year plan that covers tires and rims for damage from road hazards; I think the price was heavily discounted for me but I paid something like $975. They also claim the company will follow Porsche's standard that punctured tires are not to be patched. While I hope not to have to use the policy, based on past experience I expect I will make out like a bandit with this policy.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:36 PM
peterm
Racer

Fitment on the 996 spare has been a point of contention- I have asked many and no-one seems to know the answer- the spare option # part does not match the 996 spare number. Asking the dealer / service /parts they don't know. Run a search and you see a few "it will fit"s and a few "probably wont fit over the brakes" comments' I don't know the real answer and my 997.1 survived without testing it now I m beta testing the 997.2 Ill let you know what i find out if i find out.

There are no jack/tire changing tools in the 997.2 just compressor and goop. Most important is the huge plastic bag you need to carry to put the tire in the front seat without trashing the interior.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
peterm
Racer

jim make sure you drive overa lot of nails when the tread gets low- though i suspect they will prorate claims- unless it specifies replacement for wear- sounds like its just for road hazard- that doesnt include doing donuts in the parking lot
Old 06-17-2009, 12:01 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

There's a decent solution on the pca.org web - 996 spare (not sure if donut or collapsible though), cover and form that fits the rear seat and buckles securely with the seat belt - preserves trunk space and trunk has no way now to secure the tire.

The big problem as mentioned is what to do with the take off tire - has to go in the front seat I think.

You need the jack (and foam tire insert to hold it in the spare) and any tools - tire hangers are recommended. I thought the jack, tools, and hangers were worth having regardless.

I have ordered a toolkit off ebay, a jack and hangers from...??? Prime Parts maybe or Suncoast. And I got the Black Jack tire repair kit from Amazon. I'll probably wait on the spare as that seems pretty drastic. If tire repair, as Dan suggests, turns out to be too much hassle, then I'll get the spare setup - which could run as much as $800 unless I can find the bits on ebay.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:23 AM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the 996 collapsible spare solution parts in my garage but I never actually carry it around.

Instead I bought the repair kit from Powertank to carry in my cars, including the Porsches, so I have a shot at a repair without removing the tire, at least for simple holes.

The tools with handles are solid aluminum and the case makes for a neat package for the collection of tire plug/patch materials. You still need to carry a compressor to re-inflate.

http://www.powertank.com/products/sf.../productID/186
Old 06-17-2009, 03:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I went for the insurance as well. Have gotten a few tires out of the deal so far. But to get me by for THAT day, I used a plugger and built a kit for it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-tire-kit.html
Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Art20c
Instructor

I will buy tire+rim insurance, price sounds very reasonable ($600 for 4 years with $3500 coverage cap). But my main concern is not the occasional tire puncture, but the situation where rim is bent. I had a very bad experience with MB CLS with aftemarket wheels bought from MB dealer though. Any small bump or hole would bend those rims alone inner side and inner side only, resulting in total pressure lost at least once a month. There were no scratch marks or scuffs on the rim, so it never even made a contact with ground. I cant imagine not having spare in situation like that. My only hope is that Porsche wheels wouldn't bend or crack from slightest touch.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:06 AM
richc
Pro

Duct tape the spare to the roof. You'll be prepared.

Quick Reply: Spare tire question