Sponsored by:

Spare tire question

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 12:28 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
I hear everyone gearing up with spares and tools.

Does anyone have an actual story of a rear tire getting flat and them using their tools and mounting their spare on the rear and then driving on? Thats the the story that has some value to me.
Okay, but this is from 996 land. Went to the parking garage after work and found left rear flat from picking up a nail. Car was still in warranty then and I could have called Porsche road assistance, but that would have taken a while, I'm sure. Installed the spare and put the flat tire on the passenger seat on top of the bag. Drove home and had the tire repaired the next day. No big deal at all.

I like having a spare.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:06 AM
stevehess
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
this is a good start for protecting the hood: http://www.p1speed.com/categories/in...rotection.html

They look like they came with the car once installed.
Steve
My "Shild" arrived yesterday. As a former manufacturer I recognize a twenty-dollar vacuum formed part when I see one, so at $200 a pop they have a nice little business going. That said, the part fits perfectly, looks great and clearly ads protection. Installation took two minutes. It would have taken one-minute but I misplaced my coffee mug. The type of fasteners they supply are not removable although I guess you could go at them with a razor or Dremel tool. But short of needing body work on the hood there would be no reason to ever have to take it off. A very nice product. Thanks for the tip.

Steve
Old 07-08-2009, 11:20 AM
stevehess
Track Day

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What will you secure the strap to? The best option (safest) is to tack weld on a mounting point.
Dan,
I took care of that yesterday. I had a couple of solid looking plastic clips that look like miniature drawer pulls (about an inch long with holes at both ends). I removed the large trim piece at the rear of the trunk (about 6 screws) and pop-riveted the clips to that piece with spare tire diameter dimension between them.( I couldn't easily identify any metal structure to mount them to). I put it all together and then secured the tire by stretching a bungee cord in front of the spare, clipped to the two plastic holders. I am aware that this is not a very rigid and strong solution but I am satisfied if it holds the tire in place under normal driving and braking. If I ever have a front end accident the spare might certainly tear its way from the hold downs but that would no doubt be the least of my worries.
I also installed a "Das Schild" hood liner, which is a very nice product
Old 07-08-2009, 12:06 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stevehess
Steve
My "Shild" arrived yesterday. As a former manufacturer I recognize a twenty-dollar vacuum formed part when I see one, so at $200 a pop they have a nice little business going. That said, the part fits perfectly, looks great and clearly ads protection. Installation took two minutes. It would have taken one-minute but I misplaced my coffee mug. The type of fasteners they supply are not removable although I guess you could go at them with a razor or Dremel tool. But short of needing body work on the hood there would be no reason to ever have to take it off. A very nice product. Thanks for the tip.

Steve
Ha!

Well, yes, but they don't advertise as anything more either. Some people pay $99 for a Porsche pen for the glove box - not a whole lot about car parts pricing makes sense - especially for cars like these. "Specialty item" I try to tell myself.

I reckon we're paying $200 of their attention to detail and clever idea. I still think you could remove it with one of those trim tools - I have one that should work, but I've no plan to test it out.

I got my glovebox pen from suncoast for $19
Old 07-08-2009, 12:19 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Arggh on the whole spare thing - especially after reading that recent post. I reckon I'm one bad experience away from pulling the trigger on the rest of my kit.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by DCP
Okay, but this is from 996 land. Went to the parking garage after work and found left rear flat from picking up a nail. Car was still in warranty then and I could have called Porsche road assistance, but that would have taken a while, I'm sure. Installed the spare and put the flat tire on the passenger seat on top of the bag. Drove home and had the tire repaired the next day. No big deal at all.

I like having a spare.
Today's (997) wheels are larger and larger. it's not easy at all to deal with the take off.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM
dieselophile
Track Day

Question Inflatable Spare compatibility

Interesting topic with a lot of useful info, but does anyone actually have experience using a 996 inflatable spare or a Boxter inflatable spare on a 997???
The part numbers are different and many claim that these are compatible.
I have a 2005 997 C2, just do not feel comfortable doing any long journeys. i am considering either getting the kit from the dealer (expensive) or 996 inflatable spare kit from Ebay (not sure if it'll work).
Thanks to all who may respond.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:17 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anybody ever used the goo and compressor that comes with the car successfully?

I don't think I'd risk the rims on that fix.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 PM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselophile
Interesting topic with a lot of useful info, but does anyone actually have experience using a 996 inflatable spare or a Boxter inflatable spare on a 997???
The part numbers are different and many claim that these are compatible.
I have a 2005 997 C2, just do not feel comfortable doing any long journeys. i am considering either getting the kit from the dealer (expensive) or 996 inflatable spare kit from Ebay (not sure if it'll work).
Thanks to all who may respond.
See this link for info:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ighlight=spare

Also this one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ighlight=spare
Old 03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Just drove across USA in my 997, not a moment was I thinking tires. Just amazed by scenery and performance.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:47 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ericthepilot
Just drove across USA in my 997, not a moment was I thinking tires. Just amazed by scenery and performance.
OTOH, you could be driving cross town to an impt. appointment and you're stuck waiting for a tow truck with half of the day shot to hell instead of just making your apt. on time by mounting the spare.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:59 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

I guess blondes have more fun ...
Old 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ericthepilot
I guess blondes have more fun ...
LOL On cross country trips, like you mentioned, the blondes always seem to be passing me in a Ferrari while I'm fixing a flat.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2010, 06:57 PM
fusion85
Intermediate

I bought the 996 spare & jack on ebay for approx $250. I have tested it for fit in its inflated state & then driven on it for a few miles in my 997 C4. I drive in the mountains a lot so I keep it in the trunk all the time. The spare is solidly secured by 2 nylon straps attached to the metal clip in the floor below the compressor & also by the weaker plastic clip on the rear wall of the trunk. I also carry the plug kit, & have a better compressor than the OEM. I have found that using 2 rather than 1 wheel alignment rods makes changing the wheel much easier on my old dentist back.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fusion85
I have found that using 2 rather than 1 wheel alignment rods makes changing the wheel much easier on my old dentist back.
Interesting you should say that. I have 2 and thought it would be easier to use both when wrestling the 60+ pound 305x30x19's tires and wheels onto my car. I actually found it more difficult to have to align the 2 rods with two holes simultaneously, than to just slip the wheel over one and then slide it into place. Maybe I'm using the wrong technique.

Quick Reply: Spare tire question