Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spare tire question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:23 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the duct tape idea- but i would duct tape the passeneger to the roof and put the wheel on the seat - those rims are expensive it it were to fall off the roof.

I had a shredded tire on route 80 once coming back from pocono in a 996- Had to drive 80 miles on the donut at 50 mph. Got quite a few jeers from the rest of the traffic flying by at 85mph- quite embarassing but no more so then being stuck in western jersey for a coupkle days waiting for a tire rack delivery- hence i carry the spare
Old 06-17-2009, 05:27 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Just keeping driving FAST....the tire will fill itself back up from the heat......
Old 06-30-2009, 10:40 PM
stevehess
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought the spare and jack plus insert and tire mounting rod from Porsche ($900 plus)
What is the suggested tire pressure for the folding spare when the day comes to use it?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:44 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by stevehess
I just bought the spare and jack plus insert and tire mounting rod from Porsche ($900 plus)
What is the suggested tire pressure for the folding spare when the day comes to use it?
Did you verify the rim clears the S brake calipers? Do you have a PCNA part number for that kit?
Old 07-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by stevehess
Usually there is a label on that spare telling how far to inflate it. I used these a bit on past 911s and they work quite well. But then in those days we had room in the trunk for the flat!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM
stevehess
Track Day

I picked up the bits and pieces from the dealer yesterday , went home and tried everything but did not actually inflate the folding spare. I have the base model 2007 Carrera, not the S, but it is the same chassis, etc. Everything worked perfectly with plenty of clearance around the calipers. You have to also get a lug wrench. I just rescued an extra Craftsman breaker bar and socket from my tool box. Also a large plastic bag to cover the flat tire when you have to stuff it in the car. You need the compressor (or a manual pump) to inflate the spare when needed.

The indecently overpriced jack has an oval top plate boss that fits into matching recesses at the front and rear lift points on the car. With tax all the stuff came to about $900. Pretty outrageous but worth it for peace of mind. I have to still figure out a restraining strap mounting so the spare does not bang into the hood on a sudden stop and dent it. I have lost much (most) of the trunk space but for me it is an acceptable trade-off since running around without a spare is unacceptable. I had a flat two weeks ago (nail) which started the whole process. Took 5 days to locate and ship in a matching tire through the dealer and they refused to fix the puncture because it is a speed rated tire.

Part numbers are: 996-362-020-04 (tire), 996-722-101-00 (storage insert), 996-721-211-00 (jack), 999-571-074-30 (alignment pin). Strictly speaking you can supply your own jack and save some $240. The "storage insert" fits inside the spare to hold the jack and jack handle. Nice and neat but not required. The alignment pin helps mount the spare or original wheel but also not a necessity but cheap enough for the convenience.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:49 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

this is a good start for protecting the hood: http://www.p1speed.com/categories/in...rotection.html

They look like they came with the car once installed.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
stevehess
Track Day

Originally Posted by stevepow
this is a good start for protecting the hood: http://www.p1speed.com/categories/in...rotection.html

They look like they came with the car once installed.
Thank you. I just ordered it.. $218 with shipping
Old 07-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

You can obsess over the spare tire issue or move on. I have about 38,000 on my 06 now and have had a few nail issues, but they have all been solved with plugging the tire to get me to my immediate destination. I won't ever get to the point where I feel that I have to carry a spare in the trunk. There just is no reasonable solution for dealing with the take-off wheel.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Frino
Pro

Been carrying around a 996 spare for the better part of 3 years. Having it there enabled me to move on in terms of the no spare issue. Have 5 yr wheel/tire insurance as well and patch kit too. Still have room in the trunk for my stuff. No worries.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM
stevehess
Track Day

"Moving on" is easier with four inflated tires. I am happy to give up the trunk for my "rescue gear" I ordered "Das Schild" yesterday but need to cobble up a strap to hold the tire from moving forward
Old 07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

What will you secure the strap to? The best option (safest) is to tack weld on a mounting point.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear everyone gearing up with spares and tools.

Does anyone have an actual story of a rear tire getting flat and them using their tools and mounting their spare on the rear and then driving on? Thats the the story that has some value to me.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
peterm
Racer

2002 c4s just left pocono raceway was mixing it up on route 80 with an e55 and hit a bolt in western jersey- shredded the right rear- pulled off to the side- no cell service out in western jersey- summer time with the nice aroma of a road kill deer cooking in the summer sun- had my OEM spare and did the change (at that time PCNA included a tire)- put the OEM super large shreeded rim and what was left of the tire into the plastic bag and on the front seat, limped home with the donut 85 miles with a lot of people pissed off at my 55 mph speed in my "fancy" car.

Looking back at this - no goop and compressor would have fixed this tire- i would have been at the mercy of what ever tow service the state police would have called - I would have been stuck in western jersey for a day or two waiting for the tire to get ordered as noone out there would have that size tire available. I take solice in the fact I can travel outside the metro area as I have the spare- do i know if it really fits? I havent tried but the c4s had red shoes and 19's lso Im hopefull- never eally was able to get anyone to confidently answer that question
Old 07-03-2009, 11:59 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

nice story peterm - kind of thing that I worry about heading into South GA - although there are Porsche dealers within 100 miles of anywhere I'm likely to go, but still...an unrepairable tire would be a bummer and a long wait, a possible night or so at the Bates Motel - who knows...

PCA members can find a write up in the Tech Q&A Wheels and Tires area where a "stock" rear seat mounting spare solution is available from Porsche - parts list etc is there are well as some discussion about which spare fits which cars/brake setup.

I am going with the repair kit idea for now - if I go through the worse case scenario of ripped up tire and hate it too much, then I'll get this rear seat solution (could still put it in the trunk but without secure mounting). The actual part for the seat is about $75 in addition to all the other bits that you'd get.

Quick Reply: Spare tire question