Cars Trashed at Sheraton

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
atty talking to you on the phone at 300$ per hour
atty taking a drive on a beautiful spring morning and using bluetooth for the call - priceless

billable hours vs piece work the attys win

Here's an even better scenario:

Attorney talking to client #1 on his bluetooth about his case while taking a beautiful 50 mile drive in his P-Car to the airport to take depositions for client #2.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Here's an even better scenario:

Attorney talking to client #1 on his bluetooth about his case while taking a beautiful 50 mile drive in his P-Car to the airport to take depositions for client #2.
oh, you mean unethical double-billing?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:46 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sadiq
oh, you mean unethical double-billing?

sounds like sequential billing. nothing wrong with that...
Old 06-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by allegretto
"while taking a beautiful 50 mile drive in his P-Car to the airport to take depositions for client #2" means you bill client #1 for the time on the phone call WHILE you simultaneously bill client #2 for the time spent driving to the airport. Actually I've never seen anything wrong with this, and I think it used to be "allowed," but now it has been deemed "unethical" for some reason. Oh well. Oh yeah, um, porsches
Old 06-18-2009, 02:58 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

i'm sure he's quite ethical and appropriately bifurcated his bill
Old 06-18-2009, 03:02 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Exactly...In fact, in At Law's scenario the attorney is acting in an ethical manner that should be applauded. At Law never said or implied that client #2 would also be billed while one the phone with client #1. Instead, client #2 is benefitted by the attorney billing client #1 on the hypothetical drive to the airport because it would be customary to bill client #2 for the attorney's travel time. So, by working for client #1 while traveling for client #2, client #2's bill is reduced, and client #1 is appropriately billed for services rendered.

Someone shut this thread down. It has gone well beyond its original topic.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:10 PM
9elf S
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sadiq
"while taking a beautiful 50 mile drive in his P-Car to the airport to take depositions for client #2" means you bill client #1 for the time on the phone call WHILE you simultaneously bill client #2 for the time spent driving to the airport. Actually I've never seen anything wrong with this, and I think it used to be "allowed," but now it has been deemed "unethical" for some reason. Oh well. Oh yeah, um, porsches
That's double billing, unethical and in violation of every state's rules of professional conduct. Don't think I'm naive to believe this never happens. But that doesn't change the fact that it's flat-out wrong. And I'm willing to give At Law the benefit of the doubt that he meant something else.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by 9elf S
That's double billing, unethical and in violation of every state's rules of professional conduct. Don't think I'm naive to believe this never happens. But that doesn't change the fact that it's flat-out wrong. And I'm willing to give At Law the benefit of the doubt that he meant something else.
I'm not accusing him of actually doing it, but I don't see what "driving to the airport to take a depo for client #2" would have to do with it if it meant anything different?
Old 06-18-2009, 03:49 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My scenario was designed to exhibit how driving a P-Car
sharpens your thinking and allows both clients to benefit
simultaneously from the razor sharp legal advice they are receiving.

In fact, I generally do not bill my clients when their case requires me
to drive my P-Car. Driving my 997 is payment enough.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:10 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

i'm sure he's quite ethical and appropriately bifurcated his bill
Ummm, I like this, a "legal" and "medical" reason, other than general apathy and fatigue, to call in sick. Uh, I'm having some problems bifurcating this morning--don't think I can make it in.

I think I can ethically use the bifurcating rationale without any problem

Is this board great or what!

Many thanks to Doc Allegretto and the Denny Crains here.

(Please note: tongue is firmly in cheek, no disrespect intended)
Old 06-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Final Update.

I had a very enjoyable conversation with the hotel owner who's biggest fault, I believe, was to try to sort this out with incomplete facts. Like the early 928 Forum Poll which was put together by someone without direct knowledge, that sort of thing only makes damage control that much more difficult.

I'm quite convinced that he seeks to do the right thing, and that includes spending a lot of time with his management staff at that particular hotel in getting them to understand customer service. They, too, jumped to conclusions, and arrived at these in error, further aggravating this incident. Ultimately, it was their conduct that magnified something that should have been handled quietly and professionally.

While I will not be returning to that hotel in the foreseeable future (under its current management) I have left the door open in the event sufficient 'housecleaning' is done.

On the car front, several of those affected have had their cars detailed and from what I have heard, things were caught in time. Mine goes under the able hands of professionals on Monday. (This is a first for me,--a "detail" job, in 34 years of Porsche ownership).
Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ucube
Actually yes...not against the course owner, but the offender. I think you may be taking the concept of "assumed risk" too far. Were I to get hit by a golf ball from the group playing behind me that puts me in a coma, would that be my own fault? Have I waived all my rights to personal and property safety simply by playing on a golf course?
I was driving on Grand ave in San Diego and a golf ball from the Mission Bay golf course hit my car, ricocheted and hit the car next to me, ricocheted and hit my car again.

The noise scared the crap out of me and the two burn outs in the other car but I don't think they knew what the hell was going on.

I immediately drove to their office and they referred me to their insurance carrier who took care of everything.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:59 AM
peterm
Racer

I dropped my son off for a golf lesson and while waiting I had a nice view of the first tee. In that 45 minutes I watched 4 people put a ball on the road that parallels the 1st hole. Began to wonder how often that happens and how many people (drivers) don't recognize the club/golfers liability
Old 06-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Steve-o
Advanced

Dan,

keep us updated on how the detail went. Are you using Woody?
Old 06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Mine goes under the able hands of professionals on Monday. (This is a first for me,--a "detail" job, in 34 years of Porsche ownership).
Dan, I hope that turquoise blue beauty gets restored to its previous condition. Please update and post pics when the detailing is done.

This whole ordeal really sucks...

Quick Reply: Cars Trashed at Sheraton