Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Cars Trashed at Sheraton (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/507292-cars-trashed-at-sheraton.html)

Edgy01 06-16-2009 03:51 PM

Cars Trashed at Sheraton

1 Attachment(s)
I would consider it a personal favor if you on the 997 list would venture over to the 928 forum to take a look at a poll going on over there regarding a recent incident.

https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ml#post6657079

Over 200 Porsche club members went to the 4 Points Sheraton in Ventura, CA to attend the 45th Anniversary of the region, and when we returned to our cars we found that during that afternoon meeting they totally trashed several members' cars with recycled water from their sprinkling/watering system. Apparently, the sprinkler heads were way off, and this nasty stuff sprayed all over a few of the cars and then was allowed to bake on in the afternoon sun. This isn't exactly the nice soft rainwater you may find in Hawaii or Vermont,--this is like acid rain, with an event higher concentration of calcium to create a real mess. We've tried everything short of a polishing wheel and fine polish to get this stuff out. Several members had just paid to have their cars detailed extensively for this event.

The worst part was the actions of the hotel management. They each claimed to be "the manager" and then when we asked them how this could be resolved they suddenly had to call someone else of higher authority. We got bounced around a lot, finally talking to the general manager. He told one of our member's that he didn't care. That was it. Another, behind the counter, made disparaging comments about Porsche owners in general. They weren't any help at all.

If you get a second, head over to the linked poll and weigh in. I don't know why it ended up posted on the 928 forum. The cars affected included my Carrera cabriolet (thank god I had my top up!), a new 997GT3, a Cayman S, a Carrera 4S, and a Boxster. The darker colors really will have a tough time dealing with this.

Thanks for listening.

mdrums 06-16-2009 03:57 PM

I call it Poo Poo water...smelly recalimed water. This really sucks and will take a huge effort of detail work to get the cars back into original shape...that is if the poo poo water did not etch into the clear coat.

I find this type of hotel attitude the same at the 4 Points Sheraton at Sebring too. Very few people other than 1 really nice receptionst I deal with actually care about customer satisfaction.

_Nathan 06-16-2009 04:09 PM

That really sux. I had some similar damage to the clearcoat on a used RX-7 turbo that I bought once. I got it all out after a couple of hours of polishing with a Porter Cable 7424.

points 06-16-2009 04:22 PM

I voted to have the cars washed . Its the least they could do. Bet you the club wont be back there anytime soon.

Dr_KarlB 06-16-2009 04:34 PM

I got this from my own sprinkler system when i moved into the new house.

Easy fix is to use Lemon Juice... it really works !!

I tried polish and all sorts, nothing worked at all.

Gently wipe on lemon juice and these water marks come right off.

I then washed the car, clay bar-ed it and applied Rejex.

Looks great now !!

JohnnyBahamas 06-16-2009 05:01 PM

Let me count the times that has happened to me... no wait, too painful.

That is seriously s hitty. If the management won't help, get a big bolt cutter and lop off all the sprinkler heads.

abe 06-16-2009 05:02 PM

I wonder if instead of lemon juice, vinegar might work too. They are both acids and I think some of those white spots are calcium deposits.
IMHO, I stay away from that site....they are making the Korean nuclear crisis look like a simple misunderstanding.
abe

JohnnyBahamas 06-16-2009 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 6657338)
I wonder if instead of lemon juice, vinegar might work too. They are both acids and I think some of those white spots are calcium deposits.
abe

White vinegar will work... and it is MUCH cheaper than lemon juice. I think COSTCO sells four gallons for $2?

Minok 06-16-2009 05:11 PM

Sounds like it is just hard water buildup. The recommended acidic solutions should dissolve the crud.

I'm not sure I'd call the result a 'trashed car', which is a bit over the top.

Alan Smithee 06-16-2009 05:12 PM

As a fastidious previous owner of a black 997 that was ONLY washed by me with ONLY the best products available, it sucks.

However, the hotel owes nothing, not even an apology. They have no responsibility to keep your cars clean while parked in their lot. Taking the view of a hotel worker, I don't blame them for their reaction, nor do I blame the hotel for using sprinklers excessively and during the day since they are using reclaimed water.

Different story if it was a malicious act by one of the hotel workers.

I do appreciate the post, though, as a public service for those of us that are OCD about our paint to be especially careful to avoid contact with reclaimed water...

Dr_KarlB 06-16-2009 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by abe (Post 6657338)
IMHO, I stay away from that site....they are making the Korean nuclear crisis look like a simple misunderstanding.
abe

I tried vinegar... well the stuff us Brits put on our Fish 'n Chips anyway.
Didnt work as well as the Lemon Juice

allegretto 06-16-2009 06:05 PM

lemon juice, being a "dibasic" acid (citric) is just the thing to chelate calcium from what is doubtless calcium carbonate and other crud. EDTA at a much higher cost would be ideal.

vinegar, being acetic acid will work, but not as efficiently.

while i'm not an attorney, i would think that if their sprinklers were indeed "defective" and sprayed cars with that bile that some liability could be established. perhaps our new friend, At Law, could weigh in?

Edgy01 06-16-2009 06:28 PM

thanks for the ideas. I'll will try lemon juice, as the vinegar didn't do a thing really.

I like the bolt cutter idea! ;-)

Sadly, the club is even planning to go back for another party there. I think that speaks loads about the club's leadership...

Edgy01 06-16-2009 06:39 PM

Lemon juice doesn't solve the problem, either. This stuff has eaten into the paint.

OCBen 06-16-2009 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 6657115)
Over 200 Porsche club members went to the 4 Points Sheraton in Ventura, CA to attend the 45th Anniversary of the region, and when we returned to our cars we found that during that afternoon meeting they totally trashed several members' cars with recycled water from their sprinkling/watering system.

Puh - lease! This was no deliberate act. Misleading threat title. :to_order:

Originally Posted by Edgy01 (Post 6657616)
thanks for the ideas. I'll will try lemon juice, as the vinegar didn't do a thing really.

I wouldn't use lemon juice if I were you.

Go to autopia to see David Bynon's preferred method of treatment. If you're a perfectionist and as anal about paint finishes as he is, that is.