Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cars Trashed at Sheraton

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 06:47 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that is terrible!!! I am driving to a seminar next week at the TPC Marriott in Ponte Vedre Beach, FL and for that reason I am driving my Lexus!!! It's only 8 months old, but it's an SUV and would rather have that damaged than my shiny new car! I am sorry to all the people this happened to.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:54 PM
997, esq
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
However, the hotel owes nothing, not even an apology. They have no responsibility to keep your cars clean while parked in their lot.
Not true. If the hotel was negligent (e.g., in placing, setting sprinklers, etc.), they may well owe. It's different than a car getting dirty from pollution, or damaged by hail or ash while in the lot.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:02 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 997, esq
If the hotel was negligent (e.g., in placing, setting sprinklers, etc.), they may well owe.
Puh - lease.

No negligence whatsoever. And you're supposed to be a lawyer?

The hotel can rightfully claim that if water from the sprinklers were a concern, they shouldn't have parked their cars close to the sprinkler heads, and should have instead parked in the middle of the lot, if they cared at all about not getting water sprayed from the sprinkler heads.

Or are you saying the hotel should have posted a sign alerting any **** retentives that the sprinklers come on at such and such hour for so many minutes? And that because no such sign was posted that they are therefore negligent?

Puh - lease.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 PM
peterm
Racer

sorry but the sprinklers are an unnatural system and do not count as an "act of god" hence there may be liability form the hotel standpoint- not that there has been any real damage just a case of point. What if you stay in the sheraton and the hotel room sprinklers go off and your laptop gets ruined- they have a liability there? What if the outdoor sprinkler head broke and flooded the garage they would also have liability.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:51 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

When the going gets tough . . . the tough get going! Who's with me!?

http://www.****senders.com/order/
Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Pretty obvious the club did not do regular irrigation checks or if they did it was a crappy job. Customer relations dept. at the club sucks or is very arrogant. In this day and age of tight money methinks the management should have been more sympathetic.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

thanks, Ben. This title was chosen in direct contrast to the 928 Forum (why there?) thread which downplayed the entire event,--was submitted by an employee of the hotel. I assume that he posted it so that they could say, see, no big deal. I'm not that ****,--I drive the hell out of my cars, but I also know what can happen very quickly to the paint on these cars if something happens. Many year ago my new Porsche's paint was trashed by a dealership in Germany,--the entire car had to go in for a new paint job. The car was about a year old. This stuff is VERY hard to remove without resorting to professional equipment.

I contacted Sheraton Corporate and their customer service staff is first rate, and are working the problem. As always, I will report back.
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
What if you stay in the sheraton and the hotel room sprinklers go off and your laptop gets ruined- they have a liability there? What if the outdoor sprinkler head broke and flooded the garage they would also have liability.
Poor analogies; in both examples it is reasonable to expect the belongings of the paying guest to remain dry and, as you implied, undamaged.

You assume the risk by parking near vegetation that said vegetation may be irrigated. In fact, it could be argued that the hotel was doing its best to minimize the inconvenience of its customers by irrigating during the day, when the least amount of cars occupy the lot.

People need to take personal responsibility.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 PM
boolala
Race Car

I'm not a lawyer (thank God) but I don't see any liability here. Just plain bad luck.

Stop looking for scapegoats to neutralize life's hard knocks.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Alan,--I respect your opinion, but being there makes all the difference. When the hotel turns on a geyser that's an entirely different matter. This was not a simple matter of one or two errant sprinklers. Moreover, it was their poor attitude that quickly became the larger issue.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:26 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Dan,

I have no idea why this was on the 928 board, though its initially presented there as 5 cars getting wet during the night. I think many of the early comments are pretty funny (especially those relating to the type of blower to dry a car). However, the tone definitely changes to what one would hope once you posted your picture showing the extent of the damage.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Is it true that these signs were posted on the property, as the OP in the thread on the 928 board states? If so, there is no negligence whatsoever, and therefore any demands were completely unresonable and a resulting negative attitude not unexpected.

Last edited by Alan Smithee; 07-21-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:40 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Lemon juice doesn't solve the problem, either. This stuff has eaten into the paint.
yeah, could be alkali if the pH is high enough (depends upon concentrations and other elements/compounds in the mix) and the paint is then etched.

bummer
Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Is it true that these signs were posted on the property, as the OP in the thread on the 928 board states? If so, there is no negligence whatsoever, and therefore any demands were completely unresonable and a resulting negative attitude not unexpected.
Alan, are you an attorney? i surely am not, and like Boo, happy that way.

but i have a question;

i've been told posting a "beware of dog" sign has been interpreted in some court (or another) that the dog/property owner is aware of a danger and the posting of a sign is NOT a defense. that the best sign would say something like; "please don't frighten the dog".

in a case such as that, isn't the posting of the sign an acknowledgment that the hotel is aware of the hazard and has a duty beyond posting the sign.

Ben and others, please don't jump me, i have no skin in this. it's just that sometimes the Law seems counter-intuitive to me and i want to understand the thinkin'
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

The original poster in the 928 forum is not an employee of the hotel. Not sure why Mark posted besides the fact he respects the opinion of his friends on that board. He also happens to own 928 International, Races Cup cars and is an all around fantastic guy.

I personally thought it was a joke post when he put it up and was saddened by the fact it was a real, and recent situation.

I still want to know who won the 2 cycle vs 4 cycle blower battle.

Quick Reply: Cars Trashed at Sheraton