Sponsored by:

Module for Telephone PCM option

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Module for Telephone PCM option

I am looking at 2006 997. What is the "Module for Telephone PCM" option?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:53 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Option #666
Pop in your SIM card...you have a hands free phone
Works pretty good BTW
Old 05-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got this in my car and I think it's pretty worthless for the US market for a few reasons:

It's tri-band GSM, not a quad-band so there are vast stretches of highway where I've got five bars on my mobile phone but the car has no service. Depending on where you live this may or may not be a big problem for you. Driving from Houston to Austin you'll have no coverage at all for the majority of the trip, for example.

No US-based carrier will clone a SIM card for you. This means that the phone in your car will have a different phone number than your mobile handset. I think the feature was designed with the assumption that you'd be able to clone your SIM card or get your carrier to bind the same phone number to your mobile and the SIM card you put in the car. That's easy to do in UK/EU/ROTW. That way you've only got one number and people don't have to know where you are in order to call you on the right number.

Failing that, you're left having to continually swap your SIM card between your handset and the car which is a whole pile of inconvenience. "Hang on, I have to call you right back, I got home and I need to put the SIM back in my mobile." vs just parking and staying on the phone.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:41 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
I've got this in my car and I think it's pretty worthless for the US market for a few reasons:

It's tri-band GSM, not a quad-band so there are vast stretches of highway where I've got five bars on my mobile phone but the car has no service. Depending on where you live this may or may not be a big problem for you. Driving from Houston to Austin you'll have no coverage at all for the majority of the trip, for example.

No US-based carrier will clone a SIM card for you. This means that the phone in your car will have a different phone number than your mobile handset. I think the feature was designed with the assumption that you'd be able to clone your SIM card or get your carrier to bind the same phone number to your mobile and the SIM card you put in the car. That's easy to do in UK/EU/ROTW. That way you've only got one number and people don't have to know where you are in order to call you on the right number.

Failing that, you're left having to continually swap your SIM card between your handset and the car which is a whole pile of inconvenience. "Hang on, I have to call you right back, I got home and I need to put the SIM back in my mobile." vs just parking and staying on the phone.

I'll be willing to bet that you are using ATT as your mobile carrier. I had terrible reception with my car until I switched to T-mobile. What I ended up doing was to buy a pay-as-you-go sim card from T-mobile. I keep that in my car. It costs a lot per minute, but I use it so infrequently, that it costs me very little per month (like about $10). MUCH better reception with T-Mobile.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:48 PM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the info. I just switched from ATT to Tmobile this PM. Huge difference ! my 2005 C2 went from no bars to 5 bars with crystal clear reception all the way home.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GSM

try TOOKI, it works great. Full integration on PCM.
Bumperplugs sells them
Old 04-05-2011, 11:00 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

SIM card easier install than Tooki.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

great option. I use verizon for my mobile phone, I got a 1000 minute tmobile card for $100 and just fwd my phone to the car when I am in it... fairly flawless!
Old 04-06-2011, 10:52 PM
hagfish2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The built-in phone has excellent quality reception and I can be heard so well, my wife doesn't realize I'm in the car! Best of all it uses the factory system the way it was intended - no added microphones, buzzing, or quirky re-wiring.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
great option. I use verizon for my mobile phone, I got a 1000 minute tmobile card for $100 and just fwd my phone to the car when I am in it... fairly flawless!
Me too. Except I have at&t. Nothing like having a 3.8L phone!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify: did you guys' PCM come with the 'phone module installed? I tried putting my SIM (AT&T) into the tray, and it still says "Phone not available" or something to that effect. The dealer said I need to have the module installed, and quoted me around $1000, which I think is ridiculous for anything other than a full-on Bluetooth hookup that I can use my iPhone as a phone and an iPod too.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:40 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your car came w/ "Module for Telephone PCM" option (option #666) you have to have the module installed @ many $$$$$$
Old 04-07-2011, 03:48 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Just to clarify: did you guys' PCM come with the 'phone module installed? I tried putting my SIM (AT&T) into the tray, and it still says "Phone not available" or something to that effect. The dealer said I need to have the module installed, and quoted me around $1000, which I think is ridiculous for anything other than a full-on Bluetooth hookup that I can use my iPhone as a phone and an iPod too.
See post #2 and then check your option list. You probably don't have it.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:16 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Email Ric Knab at SuncoastParts.com your VIN #. He can tell you what options your car came with.

Ric Knab <rknab@sunsetautogroup.com>
Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
No US-based carrier will clone a SIM card for you. This means that the phone in your car will have a different phone number than your mobile handset.
This is true, but that does not mean you cannot get a clone of your SIM card, you just have to go have a 3rd party make you a copy of your SIM card. But a clone isn't difficult to get.

Quick Reply: Module for Telephone PCM option