Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TT wheel vs Carrera Sport for a TT ... opinions ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default TT wheel vs Carrera Sport for a TT ... opinions ??

I posted on the TT board, but it is not as "active" as this board.

So, I'll ask here. I always get great answers and opinions/recommendations from you folks.

As some may know, I am picking up a '09 TT cab Friday after dropping off my C4S.

I'm really not a fan of the TT wheels that come with the car. I do care for the Carrera Sport Wheels that came with my C4S. And, they particularly look terrific in CHROME. I think these wheels would "POP" on the midnight blue cab.

Anyone have an opinion as to fitment or how these would look on the TT? I have some CS wheels on the C4S ... and wondered if I could swap them out for the TTs. Or, just swap the TT wheels for some CS's in chrome?

Thanx for your opinions.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Yes, I believe you can swap the wheels between the C4S and the TT, as many people with Targas have the TT wheels for some reason.
Personally, I think chroming Carrera Sport wheels would be overkill, and expensive. I think some of the aftermarket wheels in brushed aluminum look much better, and provide the "pop" in a more subtle way and more consistent with the Porsche look (not a lot of chrome). Many, such as HRE and Champion wheels, are much lighter weight than the CS and TT wheels. Take a look at some of them on this forum, or check out Wheel Enhancement for the choices and photos of the wheels on different colored Porsches.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Thanx for the reply.

I have looked at Wheel Enhancement many times for wheels for the 993 ... they do have some nice wheels. But, that said, I don't find many that I would like on the TT.

Some are just about the same/same as the OEM TT wheels. Some have tooooo many bolts (which look waaaay kewl) which makes them difficult to clean. I'm not down with that.

Plus, I figure that Porsche wheels would be less expensive (go figure ... with a $150K car ... but, in these 'uncertain economic time', every buck counts) ... and more readily available.

I would not expect chrome CSWs to be all that much more expensive, and I think they would look quite nice on a midnight blue TT. But, all this is just personal preferences.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

I forgot to mention that you will need 17mm spacers for the rear Carrera Sport wheels to fit your TT. The factory puts these on any wide body cars that are ordered with Carrera Sports. You can get a set of spacers and bolts for around $150, depending on whether new or used.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Bagger,

Like you , I have never warmed to the 997 Turbo wheels. I know you were asking about the Carrera Sport wheels for your TT, but have you considered GT3 RS wheels? They are a direct fit to the Turbo since the RS is also a wide body car. Here are a couple of links to threads with pics that Jason (Atomoc80) posted with GT3 RS wheels on his 997 Turbo.

FYI - He originally went with GT3 wheels (68mm offset rear wheel) and needed 17mm spacers in the rear, but changed to the RS rears (51mm offset) because he said the regular GT3 with spacers made the car feel "floppy." BTW - the fronts on the GT3 & GT3RS are the same wheel/offsets.

GT3 RS Wheels on Turbo

More GT3 RS wheels on Turbo
Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My two favorite wheels for a Turbo:

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...lDetail&id=175

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/inde...lDetail&id=204
Old 01-29-2009, 03:05 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch...please, whatever you elect to do, stay away from Chrome Wheels.....yuck
Old 01-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cole328
Ouch...please, whatever you elect to do, stay away from Chrome Wheels.....yuck
You may have something there. But, bling is not limited to just chrome wheels, m'friend. The whole deal with the TT is sorta bling overload .... don'tcha think? I mean with the wing, front faring and the total package. I suppose it's less than at one time, tho.

The GT3 RS wheels look pretty nice to me.

BTW, the chrome wheels are less expensive.

I spoke briefly with Dave Martin at the W/E place this AM. I'll think about it a bit more, but I definitely don't like the oem TT wheels.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with you bagger Anything better than the OEM wheels, as they simply dont do the car justice. Anyway, whatever you choose, enjoy the ride..its a looker.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe a Gunmetal finish on those TT wheels?

I too never liked the chrome style look of these wheels. Maybe in another finish they would be less ...
Old 01-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Chrome wheels, any chrome wheels, would not be my choice for a modern Porsche (although I have 'em on my '62 Sunroof Coupe).
However, Carrera Sport wheels are my favorite. I have them (painted black) on my 997 and the stock grey on my wife's 987.
How about Carrera Sports painted Midnight Blue to match your new TT, leaving the rims unpainted? Could be quite striking...and unique.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Leader
Chrome wheels, any chrome wheels, would not be my choice for a modern Porsche (although I have 'em on my '62 Sunroof Coupe).
However, Carrera Sport wheels are my favorite. I have them (painted black) on my 997 and the stock grey on my wife's 987.
How about Carrera Sports painted Midnight Blue to match your new TT, leaving the rims unpainted? Could be quite striking...and unique.
I'm not sure about chrome wheels ... but, they did seem to 'set off' the rest of the blue/blue car. I don't drive the car in winter, but have found that even this causes some pitting occassionally.

Best I've had is powder coated wheels. But, of course I'd like MB spokes/centers and polished lips. Of course, this is just another cost and I'd have the car on jack stands while the PCoater did his job.

This seems to becoming more complicated.

But, I don't think I'll keep the OEMs ... they never did 'move me' on any car.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

What about these ? Chrome, too.

Here's a MB 997 cab with them on.

http://www.wheelenhancement.com/whee...ght%20Blue.jpg
or ...
http://www.wheelenhancement.com/whee..._89C_Black.jpg
Old 01-29-2009, 10:53 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

For non OEM hard to beat either Champion RF67 or RS171. I personally like the RF 67 in GunMetal Finish.
Attached Images      

Last edited by 996toomey; 01-29-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:00 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

GT3RS wheels are not light but they are pretty special. A little hard to keep clean, and the black gloss paint shows brake dust and road film in a heart beat. I might also look at a set of Fikse's.

Many of these aftermarket wheels look too ethnic to me. If you have the Porsche Turbo fantasy of your dreams, no reason to add a set of wannabe wheels. Stick with something factory. Or Fikse. Or close to it.

Quick Reply: TT wheel vs Carrera Sport for a TT ... opinions ??