Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be Honest...how many of you will give the wave to Panamera owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 07:47 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Be Honest...how many of you will give the wave to Panamera owners?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Just received the Christophorus with lots of pictures and it just reminded me how ugly the car was. The back looks like a Chrysler, no trunk, side mirrors look like something from a 70s american muscle car....I won't go on. I refuse to give the wave or flash the lights and thats final!
Before someone goes on the attack..this is just a joke and I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
abe
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
lig
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not me. I hate that car. Not a Cayenne fan either. And Boxster owners never return the wave. For that matter I usually don't wave at 996 owners unless it's a TT because they look like Boxsters to me.

And yes - I'm only partly serious.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:32 PM
surfer
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL that car is so fugly. No wave from me.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
russo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have to worry about waving since there are not many Porsche's in this neck of the woods. There are a few Box/Caymens and they don't wave, but they do try pass me, which I absolutely won't allow.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

I wave at all Porsches.
If I get a wave back, that's good.
If I don't, that's okay, too.
I actually like the Panamera pics; I want to see one in person.
I was not originally a fan of the Cayenne when it debuted. I now own one - and love it.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM
MFC996
Instructor

I'm looking at the magazine right now. It'll be a wave...of sympathy
Old 01-08-2009, 09:36 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the standard for waiving at other Porsche owners? Is it based on whether or not you like the cosmetic looks of the particular Porsche you see on the road, or is this a 911 superiority complex? I try to waive or flash my lights whenever I see another Porsche.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Leader
I wave at all Porsches.
I was not originally a fan of the Cayenne when it debuted. I now own one - and love it.
Other than the fact I don't own a Cayenne, a big +1 from me to all of your other points. I do try to give a little nod to other Porsches.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
am722
Drifting

I have to admit to sort of feeling like an *** for waving at other people based on the car they drive. That said, I certainly return all waves I receive.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:38 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leader
I wave at all Porsches.
+1 except I don't like the Panamera pics - If I see one in person, OK. if not, OK
Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by am722
I have to admit to sort of feeling like an *** for waving at other people based on the car they drive.
Excellent point.

It's snobbishness defined: to recognize others for what they possess while ignoring those who don't possess.

I initiate no waves. And I return no waves. Unless it's someone I know.

It's just a frickin' car, people. Don't place more value on it than it deserves.

Nod and acknowledge the common man on the street while you're walking down the sidewalk.
That confers more value to society than acknowledging the material possessions of others.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:10 AM
plz
Advanced

I wonder how many Panamera ownres will bother to wave at 911, 98x, Cayenne owners?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 AM
lig
Racer

I think you guys are viewing it the wrong way. It's an enthusiasm thing - not a ooooohhh you have a Porsche too thing.

In my S2000 - waves are almost 100% returned - love that car and the community. Perhaps it is more popular with real enthusiasts since it's 6MT only.

I know a fair number of people with Porsches that just want to say that they have a Porsche - they never go to the track or auto-x or have Mobil 1 in their veins - they just "have a porsh(e)"
Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Huh. I think calling people "the common man" sounds a lot more snobbish than feeling a kinship with people who share your love of this particular marque.

My first car was a '60 Austin Healey Bugeye (way past its prime, this was in the mid '80s). You can be damn sure I gave and received countless waves and smiles from all sorts of people in MGs and Triumphs and even the occasional Jaguar. There was no snobbery or conspicuous consumption involved. Heck, most of those old cars are more duct tape and baling wire than car, even then. It was simply a recognition of the common bond shared from our mutual appreciation for old British metal and oil spots and dodgy electrics. It takes a peculiar kind of person to drive one of those things and it always brought a smile to my face when I encountered another one of those peculiar people.

When I drove a Miata we all waved at each other too. Same deal -- Miata folks know they're driving one the finest-handling cars on the planet, one that most folks don't "get", and when you see another on on the road you can be pretty sure it's someone you'd get along with just fine.

Similarly, Porsche cars and the heritage of the marque attract a certain sort of buyer. I'd trust we all recognize this, otherwise why would we spend our time socializing with other Porsche owners on an online forum like rennlist? Is a wave and a smile on the street any more snobbish or elitist than having a rennlist account? I don't see much difference.

Sure there are plenty of Porsche buyers who don't share the enthusiasm for the brand that many of us do -- and sure the Panamera buying world probably has a higher percentage of those people than other Porsche models -- but if you get a wave or a wave back from someone in a Porsche I don't think it has anything to do with snobbery or price or couth.

That wave is just recognizing a kindred soul in an otherwise faceless sea of strangers and who can't use a bit more of that in their life?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:22 AM
lig
Racer

Nugget - I feel exactly as you do. Back in the 80's in my college days I drove a 124 Fiat Spyder. Total POS but just like you and the Bugeye and the Miata - I felt a real kinship with fellow enthusiasts.

Quick Reply: Be Honest...how many of you will give the wave to Panamera owners?