Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be Honest...how many of you will give the wave to Panamera owners?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Huh. I think calling people "the common man" sounds a lot more snobbish than feeling a kinship with people who share your love of this particular marque.
I was referring to the homeless, the panhandlers, those less fortunate that you run into daily on the sidewalk - otherwise known as the common man. Make them feel important by acknowledging their existence and/or placing loose change in their tin cups. That does more for society than ignoring them and rebuffing them when they approach you.

snobbish - adjective: befitting or characteristic of those inclined to social exclusiveness and who rebuff the advances of people considered inferior.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:34 AM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll wave. At $110k+ a pop and with other good sedan choices in that price range, someone has to have at least some respect for the marque to buy one...

That said, if I were to buy a sedan in that price range, I'd think Aston or Maserati.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:52 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Excellent point.

It's snobbishness defined: to recognize others for what they possess while ignoring those who don't possess.

I initiate no waves. And I return no waves. Unless it's someone I know.

It's just a frickin' car, people. Don't place more value on it than it deserves.

Nod and acknowledge the common man on the street while you're walking down the sidewalk.
That confers more value to society than acknowledging the material possessions of others.
It's just a wave, fella.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:55 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
When I drove a Miata we all waved at each other too. Same deal -- Miata folks know they're driving one the finest-handling cars on the planet, one that most folks don't "get", and when you see another on on the road you can be pretty sure it's someone you'd get along with just fine.
Yeah, I get way more waves in the Miata than I do in the Porsche.

Similarly, Porsche cars and the heritage of the marque attract a certain sort of buyer. I'd trust we all recognize this, otherwise why would we spend our time socializing with other Porsche owners on an online forum like rennlist? Is a wave and a smile on the street any more snobbish or elitist than having a rennlist account? I don't see much difference.

Sure there are plenty of Porsche buyers who don't share the enthusiasm for the brand that many of us do -- and sure the Panamera buying world probably has a higher percentage of those people than other Porsche models -- but if you get a wave or a wave back from someone in a Porsche I don't think it has anything to do with snobbery or price or couth.

That wave is just recognizing a kindred soul in an otherwise faceless sea of strangers and who can't use a bit more of that in their life?
+1

It's OK...you don't have to if you don't want to, though. I'll probably still wave.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:58 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No wave but I'll try to pull alongside them and ask if they have any Grey Poupon...
Old 01-09-2009, 01:33 AM
PMD 993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MFC996
I'm looking at the magazine right now. It'll be a wave...of sympathy
So what you're saying is you would point and laugh?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:36 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking OCBEN must be "new" money...we are to common to be waived at

When I use to have my YUGO we all waived at each other....we even got the non yugo owners to participate... they all laughed (at us).
(just a joke ben...I think)
abe

Last edited by abe; 01-10-2009 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:46 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I was referring to the homeless, the panhandlers, those less fortunate that you run into daily on the sidewalk - otherwise known as the common man. Make them feel important by acknowledging their existence and/or placing loose change in their tin cups. That does more for society than ignoring them and rebuffing them when they approach you.

snobbish - adjective: befitting or characteristic of those inclined to social exclusiveness and who rebuff the advances of people considered inferior.
The phrase "common man" is normally used to emphasize the difference between the elite and the average citizen. The average citizen is not a panhandler or a homeless person.

However, if the economy continues to decline, the average citizen could end up being a panhandler and/or homeless.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 AM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lig
Nugget - I feel exactly as you do. Back in the 80's in my college days I drove a 124 Fiat Spyder. Total POS but just like you and the Bugeye and the Miata - I felt a real kinship with fellow enthusiasts.
wow - I had an X19, and yes we waved and made lots of new friends all because of a shared interest. Every now and again I see some of the people I met with those X19's and to this day we still laugh and smile -much like many of us here on this board. I say keep the waves alive
Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Happy to wave at a Panamera owner. Guy deserves kudos for not being boring and buying a BMW, Caddy, Lexus, or Mercedes. At least he wants to do something different rather than be another risk-averse sheep in the executive car class.

Panamera is a cool car. If Americans are too conservative in their tastes to get it I'm sure the rest of the world will.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Abe - I've had three 911's and have never gotten the "wave." I did when I had a Corvette. I guess if I get the Panamera, I won't be missing anything.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:38 AM
richc
Pro

I'm the village idiot, I wave at everyone.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM
sdw999
Instructor

Sorry Ben, but I'm not sure I see how giving money to panhandlers does more for society. Seems like doing so enables these people to not make any effort to better their situation. Granted, many are mentally, or physically disabled, but many are just plain lazy.

I don't mean to sound like a cold hearted *****, I guess I have just dealt with way to many aggressive beggars who practically attack you when you do not acknowledge them. Comes with the territory I suppose.

As far as waving, yeah, sure, why not. Most of the time when I see another P-car around here, the driver is totally not paying any attention.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
V.A.G.
Three Wheelin'

I wave every P-car owner except for abe..he is douche
Old 01-09-2009, 01:35 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Never give money to the guy in the corner...most use it for drugs and alcohol and it perpetuates bad behavior. Want to help...buy them a sandwich (which has been thrown back at me sometimes). Want to help... give them a job. As they say in Yosemite "please don't feed the bears". I know people aren't bears....
abe

Quick Reply: Be Honest...how many of you will give the wave to Panamera owners?