Sponsored by:

Battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:14 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by current47
mission accomplished.. just picked up an MTP-91. followed Dave's hood pop instructions (thanks again Dave!) and dropped it right in.. fit like a glove.. went a local garage (2mins away) and they had one for me. (man the oem battery was heavy!) $130 bucks and we are up and running...

still have the psam falure light though! will take it to a dealer this week..

one thing to mention to others, the vent on the battery is oval and doesn't quite fit the elbow vent on the p-car so you need to put in a rubber conduit hose. (make sure to ask your garage if they can cut a 3-4" rubber hose for this to work)...

you people are awesome! thanks again!!
Failure light should go off after you drive the car for a few minutes. See attached. Don't forget to reset the windows too.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
997 Owners Manual Page 261.pdf (12.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 12-29-2008, 03:17 PM
current47
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perfect...

happy new year everyone!
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I'm at 52 months and 42K miles on my original 05 CS battery. I had it checked a few months ago since it sometimes seems a little weak on starting, but dealer said it was fine.
Well, crap! My battery is dead, got jumped tonight to get home. Looking for the Interstate in the morning!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Another Chicagoan here with a dead battery. Went through the popping of the electric trunk release trick and tried to jump it from the other car, no dice. All it did to show it was alive were three weird things: 1) give me a slew of error messages 2) role down the window about two inches 3) raised the rear spoiler. I chalked all this up to "character". I patricullarly enjoyed the raising of the Spoiler as I think it was her attempt to show that she was happy to see me, like a dog! Made putting the cover back on interesting.

Anyway my plan now is to not bother until April and get a new battery. Does anyone use an OPTIMA Battery? I searched and found that an Optima 34R with reverse poles works but does not fit quite as nicely as the Interstate MTP-91. But as the car gets some track time I would rather have a dry battery. Any thoughts?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by agdamis
Another Chicagoan here with a dead battery. Went through the popping of the electric trunk release trick and tried to jump it from the other car, no dice. All it did to show it was alive were three weird things: 1) give me a slew of error messages 2) role down the window about two inches 3) raised the rear spoiler. I chalked all this up to "character". I patricullarly enjoyed the raising of the Spoiler as I think it was her attempt to show that she was happy to see me, like a dog! Made putting the cover back on interesting.

Anyway my plan now is to not bother until April and get a new battery. Does anyone use an OPTIMA Battery? I searched and found that an Optima 34R with reverse poles works but does not fit quite as nicely as the Interstate MTP-91. But as the car gets some track time I would rather have a dry battery. Any thoughts?
You'll need a special tray/mount for the Optima. GMG has one (pricey) or you can search for instructions on how to fabricate one yourself. I used the GMG tray on a 997 - perfect fit and very secure. Good luck.

GMG 996 GT Battery Tray
It's a well known fact that the original equipment battery supplied by Porsche is good for little more than 2 years of life. How many times have you parked your 996 for a few days only to return and find your battery dead? Our GT Battery tray is a great way to upgrade your battery. Optima batteries DO NOT fit into the standard Porsche tray and just throwing the battery into the existing tray is dangerous. Our GT Tray is made of aluminum for years or durability, CNC machined and powder coated satin black for an OE look. Available with or without the Optima battery.

LEGAL FOR ALL CLUB RACING AND TIME TRIALS- SCCA-PCA-POC-NASA Great for cars that have upgraded Audio system. Recommend with use of Optima Yellow Top Ideal for anyone who's battery has failed and needs replacement.

Fits all 996 cars from 99 and on, including 996TT, GT2, GT3 and Cup Cars.

GT Battery Tray and Mount - $275.00
Optima Red Top - $165.00
Optima Yellow Top - $189.00
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

JH - Thanks a lot man, this is good.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:27 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

FYI, I went to the Interstate regional distributor, and replaced my battery with an MTP-H7, which they claimed was the appropriate battery. But the MTP-91 specs seem about the same, so doubt it makes any real difference.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:38 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,035 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I think my battery is on the way out - will get a check on it tomorrow. Any recommendations on what to get as a replacement?

MTIA

Came back from a 2-week vacation last summer and the battery was dead. Jumped it, took it to the dealership 3 days later and mentioned the weak battery. They tried to charge it but didn't like what they saw so got a new Interstate under warranty.......no questions asked. That's what I recommend
Old 02-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My issue

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Car has 17K miles and is an 06. It gets driven 2-3 x/week. The starter motor seems slow to catch - feels like it's churning.
Last October my battery died and when I finally got the car to the dealership they said I needed a new battery & alternator, which they replaced for free under the warranty.
Then, last month the battery died again. The dealership thought I wasn't driving the car often enough (not true) and they charged up the battery. A week later the battery was VERY low, so I went back to the dealership and they found that the alternator they installed last October went bad. So, now I have another new alternator and, so far, everything is fine.
Mr. B
BORLA SOUND CLIP (before last alternator installation)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrAls...e=channel_page

Quick Reply: Battery replacement