Mysterious rear window syndrome - cabriolets

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 01:51 AM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious rear window syndrome - cabriolets

Any other cab people have this problem?

You can control the rear windows just fine with the top up or down. In fact, when you hit the down-down button with the top down, the rears follow suit and go down with the fronts - that's slick.

But... sometimes when you put the top up and hold the top control button in the "close" position until the windows go up - one or the other of the rear windows will stop partly up or not go up at all. Then if you attempt to manually override the rear window with the window switch, it's still reluctant to respond, but will eventually do so.

I've talked to one other person that has experienced this problem but, of course - she couldn't get it to do so at the dealer.

Not a big issue, but a bit of a pain like most intermittent problems of this sort...
Old 10-21-2008, 03:42 AM
smiler51
AutoX

Maybe the full up-down window automatic has to be re-programmed. Like when a front window stops half way sometimes. There is a procedure how to reset it by opening and closing it all the way and holding the button down.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:09 AM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I had the same problem in 2006. This is what did the trick for me:

Originally Posted by djantlive
Try resetting the window by pressing on either up or down and hold it there for 60 sec after window is no longer moving.
Other possible solutions:

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is not unusual. What is important is to run the windows all the way down at some point so that the window controllers 'learn' where full down is. It should clear itself up shortly. I had that problem I think myself for a brief time. It cleared up on its own without bothering a dealer.
Originally Posted by Racedriver
I had the same problem. Dealer said it was a regulator problem and they replaced it under warranty.
Or just combine the first two approaches:

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Put them down all the way- when down all the way hold the button 'down' for several seconds. Then put them up all the way holding the button for 'up' all the way for several seconds. Should fix it; if not it'll be covered under warranty.
Old 10-21-2008, 09:57 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Mine works fine, other than the occasional error message stating the roof is not fully open and locked......when it is!!
Old 10-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does this from time to time. There was a TSB to fix it and silicon spray will help lubricate the guides for the rear windows.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:42 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this with my cab on a 996, but I think the mechanics are the same...and one fine day a big "SNAP" and a cable broke....to prevent this get your cab realigned.
Old 10-22-2008, 11:55 PM
EJC997S
Track Day

My 2008 cab does this sometimes...it's not a "mechanical" issue. I think that it's a programming issue. My passenger side window sometimes goes down ever so slightly (like it does when you open the door) and then goes right back up quickly when I insert the key. I thought that maybe it was due to the Smarttop I installed but it happens without it.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:46 PM
OneManTX
Pro

Yep, mine does this sometimes. Making them go all the way down and up by holding the switches seems to fix it. Annoying though, as I once walked away from the car thinking it was all closed up and locked and came back to find the rear windows not closed all the way.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Decided to try the "hold the button" method today as my left back window wont work right. Incredibly it regained its senses and began to close correctly. Heres to Rennlist advice.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some 33000 miles on a 2006 cabrio. All of the windows have behaved strangely at one time or another. The "holding the button" method almost always works. Only once did the driver's side front window mechanism need repair. The top needed resetting once because it refused to go up and a PIWIS reset once because it wouldn't go down. The window issues, even the time a repair was needed, never caused an error code.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:35 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

M7 07 does it from time to time. Sometimes, I just let the top back down, raise it agin and the windows work fine. There have been other time when I didn't have to let the top all the way down, just enough so the rear window went down. Of the reprogramming it works also, but all of these fixes last a few weeks, then it does it again - Not a major problem but a little annoying.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:38 PM
habbud
AutoX

My 2007 997S Cab also does the same from time to time....annoying.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:02 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by points
Decided to try the "hold the button" method today as my left back window wont work right. Incredibly it regained its senses and began to close correctly. Heres to Rennlist advice.
It reset's the 'retarded' setting. Either that or you just sobered it up.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:20 PM
snicks1
2nd Gear

Hi,
Someone have fix this problem? Because I've a 997 Cab and my rear window stay blocked in position open.
But the first symptoms it's like that.
Sorry for my english, I speak only french.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:49 AM
porscheman1963
Instructor

I was given a tip from a Porsche Tech on another site. He said once the top closes, the rear windows are hitting the rubber weatherstrip on the convertible top a bit roughly which causes the windows to roll back down. He told me to use silicon spray from the outside of the windows to get down into the track. I decided to avoid that mess and instead just greased up the rubber weatherstrip on the convert top where the windows were initially touching before rolling back down, I just used vaseline. For the first time my rear windows now go up and stay up !!!!

Quick Reply: Mysterious rear window syndrome - cabriolets