Sponsored by:

Awkward situation w friend's wife and my 08 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:31 PM
JJB236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awkward situation w friend's wife and my 08 997

Met up with a buddy and his wife a week ago. While we were having a beer, they found out that I drove my new 997 that had about 45 miles on the clock. After we were done, they wanted to check out my new ride. Any 911 is this guy's dream car. I gave him my key, he opens the car, he sits in the driver's seat, then starts the car. (He alwasy wants to "test-drive" my cars. My Vette, 996, and now 997.) His wife then open the passenger door, then scrapes the edge of the passenger door to a sign pole. I went sh*t... in my head. A paint got chipped about the half the size of the bb pellet and it's noticeable on the black body.

She has apologized to me about 100 times and so did my buddy, and I said to forget about it initially. But if she was so sorry, I kept thinking why wasn't she more careful handling a brand new 997. What would you guys do in this situation? Make them pay for the damage? How much to cover up this white bald spot? And do you let your friends drive your cars? For those friends who own equally priced cars or better, maybe yes, since they will be responsible drivers, but what if the buddy who wants to go take a spin in your brand new 997 waits on tables (no offense to waiters) and make less than $20K? Would you hand over your key?
Old 05-04-2008, 10:37 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

My experience is nobody (perhaps other than a fellow enthusiast with a comparable car) will take care of your car like you. With the exception of my wife (who I HATE to let take my car, and she knows it), and one time with a RL'r neighbor, who I let drive my car when it was pretty new, I just don't let anyone drive my car (valets included). Sorry, but its my baby, and that's just the way it is.
Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
pred8or
Racer

Its a thing!
Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pred8or
Its a thing!
+1
Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 PM
greenhouse
Advanced

I don't think I'd let people drive my car with only 45 mi on it, they can't really drive it.
After a few beers people are always a little less careful.
You already told them not to worry about it, so you can't really go back without looking like a ******. Especially if they don't have that much money.

Letting others play with your expensive toys has occasional costs, it just goes with the territory. But you'll keep doing it anyway, it's part of the fun.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:20 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JJB236
I kept thinking why wasn't she more careful handling a brand new 997.
Some people may fawn over a material thing, but never really appreciate it as much as a real enthusiast would. No matter what others may say or do, there's no way to trust anyone other than yourself 100% with a car.

I remember loaning my truck to a friend in college, and when he brought it back to me, the power door locks refused to work. It was inexplicable. Luckily the vehicle was under warranty, but I still had to drive 50 miles roundtrip to get the thing fixed. The guy may have done nothing, but I couldn't help thinking that he treated my comparatively nice truck the same way he treated his econobox, and just mashed on the lock with his elbow.

For your situation, I'd say find a good touch-up guy (ask your service manager), get it fixed, and only bring up the issue with your friend and his wife if you really need a favor from them
Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 PM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by JJB236
Met up with a buddy and his wife a week ago. While we were having a beer, they found out that I drove my new 997 that had about 45 miles on the clock. After we were done, they wanted to check out my new ride. Any 911 is this guy's dream car. I gave him my key, he opens the car, he sits in the driver's seat, then starts the car. (He alwasy wants to "test-drive" my cars. My Vette, 996, and now 997.) His wife then open the passenger door, then scrapes the edge of the passenger door to a sign pole. I went sh*t... in my head. A paint got chipped about the half the size of the bb pellet and it's noticeable on the black body.

She has apologized to me about 100 times and so did my buddy, and I said to forget about it initially. But if she was so sorry, I kept thinking why wasn't she more careful handling a brand new 997. What would you guys do in this situation? Make them pay for the damage? How much to cover up this white bald spot? And do you let your friends drive your cars? For those friends who own equally priced cars or better, maybe yes, since they will be responsible drivers, but what if the buddy who wants to go take a spin in your brand new 997 waits on tables (no offense to waiters) and make less than $20K? Would you hand over your key?
While we all love our cars...its just a car. its going to get scratched, dinged, shat (****ted?) on, etc. Once I emotionally accepted that statement, I have had even greater enjoyment from my car and let my brother, girlfriend, mom, dad, friends, etc drive it. Their excitement about the car is great and i love to share it with them. Just a life philosophy i guess...
Old 05-04-2008, 11:28 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I know how you feel. But unless he offered to pay for it which he should of then I think youre going to have to eat the cost. But gosh I know exactly how you feel. But now that my car has been on the track I dont worry about each little mark. I have rubber goobers I cant get off from that last time I was at Fontana.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:30 PM
rcl
Pro

My $0.02: be happy that you can afford such a car, and are generous enough to occasionally share it. That doesn't sound like such a bad situation to me. Life is full of risks. You took a good one here, and after a little touch-up all will be fine. Don't risk your friendship over something like this.

Drive it hard, continue to share, and enjoy!
Old 05-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Maybe she wasn't at all being careless when she chipped the door. Accidents happen. As neurotically careful as I am, I've still managed to chip my door against the garage wall a few times. They've apologized profusely, it sounds like, so I wouldn't dwell on it.

About letting friends drive your car, my answer is no. For me, it has nothing to do with their social status, education, character, or whatever else. Yes, it's a thing, but it's a personal thing. I wouldn't let them wear my clothes or shoes either.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:50 PM
rzundel
Instructor

Originally Posted by kennygoodboy
While we all love our cars...its just a car. its going to get scratched, dinged, shat (****ted?) on, etc. Once I emotionally accepted that statement, I have had even greater enjoyment from my car and let my brother, girlfriend, mom, dad, friends, etc drive it. Their excitement about the car is great and i love to share it with them. Just a life philosophy i guess...

Sorry, but I don't get the statement "it's just a car". I agree that a chevy or ford is "just a car", but when you are talking about a car priced at and built at the level of quality of these cars, the statement "just a car" takes on a whole new meaning. I have had my C4s for about 2 years. It has 6K miles on it and I love to pamper it. I go out of my way to park it away from other cars because I don't want some ******* who doesn't pay attention dig my car then just walk away and say, "it's just a car". For many of us "true enthisiasts", this car is far from just another car. That is why we buy this car. No offense to your perspective, I also love to allow others to get pleasure out of my car. That's a cool thing!

I'm sorry about your situation! I know how you must feel. If your friend hasn't offered to pay for the fix, probably nothing you can do. For peace of mind, I would probably get it fixed and write it off as a learning experience. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 AM
kennygoodboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by rzundel
Sorry, but I don't get the statement "it's just a car". I agree that a chevy or ford is "just a car", but when you are talking about a car priced at and built at the level of quality of these cars, the statement "just a car" takes on a whole new meaning. I have had my C4s for about 2 years. It has 6K miles on it and I love to pamper it. I go out of my way to park it away from other cars because I don't want some ******* who doesn't pay attention dig my car then just walk away and say, "it's just a car". For many of us "true enthisiasts", this car is far from just another car. That is why we buy this car. No offense to your perspective, I also love to allow others to get pleasure out of my car. That's a cool thing!
6,000 miles in 2 years?? True enthusiasts DRIVE their cars. And no offense to your perspective as well
Old 05-05-2008, 07:54 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be thankful it happened so early in your ownership (45 miles!). Now all the stress and worry about getting a chip or ding is gone. Happened. Done. You can just enjoy the car now, no more obsessing.

Thank them.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by kennygoodboy
6,000 miles in 2 years?? True enthusiasts DRIVE their cars. And no offense to your perspective as well
You never know with that statement.
I have only 9900 miles in 2+ years on mine but I drive the car 5-7 days/week. The clock has over 500 hours on it (i.e. I've spent over 3 weeks straight in the car).
And if you couldn't tell, I'm a fairly hardcore Porsche nut....as well as just a nut.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:12 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 222 Posts

I would say let it go and pay to get it fixed yourself.
Cars are easily repaired, friendships are not.
If she has apologized many times, I think that's more than enough. And if I'm reading this correctly and their income is not particularly high, you wouldn't want to saddle them with the repair bill when it is a trivial amount of money to a 997 owner.
Of course, if she's really hot, perhaps you could 'make out' some other arrangement: it is after all a P-car.

Quick Reply: Awkward situation w friend's wife and my 08 997