Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Awkward situation w friend's wife and my 08 997

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 02:35 PM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So this is what you guys talk about in the 997 forum.

I think I am lost......
Old 05-05-2008, 02:59 PM
draxa
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coochas
I would say let it go and pay to get it fixed yourself.
Cars are easily repaired, friendships are not.

I'm with Dave.

It's tough when that happens and you have my sympathies. Don't let it put you off sharing, though.

I've had my car 20 months and everybody who comes round gets to drive it. I went on holiday for three weeks over Christmas and added my two neighbours to my insurance so they could take it in turns to keep it ticking over. Apart from doing me a favour, you just can't believe the pleasure their young sons got preening themselves in the back!

Cars like this are for spreading the joy......
Old 05-05-2008, 03:06 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by draxa
I'm with Dave.

It's tough when that happens and you have my sympathies. Don't let it put you off sharing, though.

I've had my car 20 months and everybody who comes round gets to drive it. I went on holiday for three weeks over Christmas and added my two neighbours to my insurance so they could take it in turns to keep it ticking over. Apart from doing me a favour, you just can't believe the pleasure their young sons got preening themselves in the back!

Cars like this are for spreading the joy......
I'm with Dave and Draxa,

I really enjoy letting others drive my car. And it really is about spreading the joy.

TD
Old 05-05-2008, 03:17 PM
eqs
Advanced

I agree, everyone gets scratches and dings - it's a car! You can't believe how happy friends and family are after you let them drive this thing though - they want one! - little kids too, they love it when you take them out for a drive!

But your "friend" should have offered to pay to get that fixed though.

Anyways, hope everything works out, cheers
Old 05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

They should have offered to pay, but didn't.
You already told them "Don't worry about it." That is your word, you must keep it.
Your choices now are to leave it alone or get it fixed.

Pretty simple.

Personally, I have let a few others drive my car. I enjoy watching the thrill for them.

I do not let valets drive it. I don't know them, and they can be fairly reckless.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

I have to confess that when I first saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be about how you got stuck in your 997 with your friend's wife.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:12 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I have to confess that when I first saw this thread title, I thought it was going to be about how you got stuck in your 997 with your friend's wife.
LOL..I was thinking along the same lines, except that the wife hit on the OP.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:15 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I am with TD. Thought is was going to be about the windshield getting popped out from the inside!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:19 PM
eqs
Advanced

Well Dariof, if you watched the movie "Ferris Beulers Day Off" with your kids (or grandkids), there's a nice red Fcar dropped off at a dwntn lot with valet and the valet drives slowly off w/the car - then peels out the back w/a buddy after the guy walks off. This does happen even at ritzy places around town. A friend back in hs did this job and I understand - test drove the lambos and fcars before gently parking them in the front.

Anyways - valet sir? (thanks for the tip ..... and the ride )

Cheers
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dariof
They should have offered to pay, but didn't.
You already told them "Don't worry about it." That is your word, you must keep it.
Your choices now are to leave it alone or get it fixed.

Pretty simple.

Personally, I have let a few others drive my car. I enjoy watching the thrill for them.

I do not let valets drive it. I don't know them, and they can be fairly reckless.
I agree 100%. I love letting friends and family enjoy my car. I feel lucky to be able to afford one, and like to share the experience. I don't let valets drive them if possible. Some are real turkeys.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by eqs
Well Dariof, if you watched the movie "Ferris Beulers Day Off" with your kids (or grandkids), there's a nice red Fcar dropped off at a dwntn lot with valet and the valet drives slowly off w/the car - then peels out the back w/a buddy after the guy walks off. This does happen even at ritzy places around town. A friend back in hs did this job and I understand - test drove the lambos and fcars before gently parking them in the front.

Anyways - valet sir? (thanks for the tip ..... and the ride )

Cheers
That was a great movie. I have not yet watched it with my 9 year old.....to give her these ideas at such a young age....
Old 05-05-2008, 05:26 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey, sh*t happens.... I would let it go. However, they will not be test driving future new car.
abe
Old 05-05-2008, 05:56 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

On this subject... Yesterday I was driving my 2006 997 with a stinky yellow lab in the passenger seat and thinking I am enjoying this Porsche more than the last 8 (race cars excluded)
Old 05-05-2008, 06:21 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the chip repair guy on the case and you'll no longer worry about it.

Won't cost more than a couple of tanks of gas, and you'll sooon forget about it when you can't see it any more.

Ask your stealership who they use for these repairs as a good starting point.

Oh, and don't let anyone near your car again!
Old 05-05-2008, 06:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by bill walczak
On this subject... Yesterday I was driving my 2006 997 with a stinky yellow lab in the passenger seat and thinking I am enjoying this Porsche more than the last 8 (race cars excluded)
I get asked to display my car at various Porsche events. Now, I am not particularly **** about the car, but I don't like strangers walking up and sitting in it solely due to the sheer volume of people and the resultant potential for wear. (I ask kids if they want to sit behind the wheel at times). Well, one time while I was watching casually from a distance, a woman with a dog on a leash guides her dog into my car and proceeds to sit down in the driver's seat with the dog prancing around the front seat, center console, and into the back seat. This despite a "please do not touch the cars" sign that was nearly blocking entry to my car.

I was a little stunned. I walked over and politely asked her to remove her dog and herself from my car. She seemed surprised that I would ask her to get out, and explained that she "didn't think anyone would mind." I asked her if she had seen the sign . . . I was still polite, but if anyone deserved to be berated, she did . . .

Quick Reply: Awkward situation w friend's wife and my 08 997