Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:59 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...

I was on 101 South. The car in front of me stopped due to traffic, and then I stopped behind him. I was at complete stop, a second or two later, I looked up my rear view mirror and saw a Honda Accord appraching behind my car quickly.

The driver was apparantly not paying attention to the road. He didn't slow down until very close to my car. At the last seconds, he realized the freeway traffic was stopped, and he hit the brake hard. I heard his screeching tires (no ABS I believe) and BAMP! He reared-end my 997S.

The impact pushed my 997S forward to touch the car in front of me. My 997S automatically tightened its seatbelt and flashed the emergency blinker, the engine stopped but the airbag was not deployed.

I tried to start my engine again. However, the engine only ran seconds and then stalled. A something like "...Visit Workshop' red warning message displayed on the dash. It seemed my car was not drive-able.

CHP came, tow truck came, and my car was now in the bodyshop. It was late in the evening and I am going to call the bodyshop tomorrow morning.

From the picture, can we tell how bad the damage was? The engine couldn't run and the 'visit workshop' message do worry me a bit...

With best regards,
- Alex.

Before:

After:

His bumper pushed in, abobve my exhaust and under the bumper pad:

The Honda that rear-ended my car:
Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 AM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow. good luck. I am far from a mechanic, but that doesnt look that bad. Perhaps the sensors were a pracaution not letting you drive it.
Could have been a lot worse. Thank God damage seems limited to the rear bumper. Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Been there, done that. I'm not sure why the engine shuts down, but my 997 did exactly the same thing when it got hit. Dealer did some sort of reset, and everything was fine.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:33 AM
wetstuff
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be like having your house broke into .. 'sorry that happened.

Had that taken place in Newark, NJ; five other people would have stood next to your car holding their necks.

I drive by my local impound lot on the way to the shop each morning ..and last night's damage featured a 4-dr, Ford Tarus that is bent at about 35deg at the center door pillar with the roof cut off by EMS. Richard, the wrecker owner, has some stories you'd never hear in an inner city ER.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=axhoaxho;5344635]I was on 101 South. The car in front of me stopped due to traffic, and then I stopped behind him. I was at complete stop, a second or two later, I looked up my rear view mirror and saw a Honda Accord appraching behind my car quickly.
The driver was apparantly not paying attention to the road. He didn't slow down until very close to my car. At the last seconds, he realized the freeway traffic was stopped, and he hit the brake hard. I heard his screeching tires (no ABS I believe) and BAMP! He reared-end my 997S.
The impact pushed my 997S forward to touch the car in front of me. My 997S automatically tightened its seatbelt and flashed the emergency blinker, the engine stopped but the airbag was not deployed.
I tried to start my engine again. However, the engine only ran seconds and then stalled. A something like "...Visit Workshop' red warning message displayed on the dash. It seemed my car was not drive-able.
CHP came, tow truck came, and my car was now in the bodyshop. It was late in the evening and I am going to call the bodyshop tomorrow morning.
From the picture, can we tell how bad the damage was? The engine couldn't run and the 'visit workshop' message do worry me a bit...
With best regards,
- Alex.

I feel really bad for you and I hope the repairs make your baby like new.
I know it's a little late for this, but here's something I do when I see a car closing in on me from the rear. I hit my flashers. More than once this has saved my a**. Oftentimes your flashers will get the attention of distracted drivers who don't see the stopped traffic in front of them. It won't make a difference for the guy whose mind is a million miles away but, FWIW, it has helped me.
Here's another thought: If you're stopped and you see that the guy behind you is definitely going to hit you, you should move up so that your front bumper is touching the rear of the car in front of you. The impact of the hit to your rear is lessened when you're in contact with the car in front of you.
Mr. B.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:59 AM
richc
Pro

Glad your ok - and hopefully the person who hit you has insurance.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:02 AM
cag64
Instructor

That sucks big time! I hope the distracted driver wasn't playing with a cell phone or better yet texting on a blackberry!!!!! I hope you are ok and your car turns out for the best.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:31 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

That is really bad news. What is it with Arctic Silver. This is mine last August after a garbage truck driver wasn't paying attention. Sorry about the crappy images, they are from cell phone cameras.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:35 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sucks.

But it doesn't look too bad.

See this thread out for reference:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/339319-my-dream-car-has-finally-come-home.html
Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

My damage was $27000 to repair, the frame rail on the passengers side was 1/2 inch short at the rear bumper mount. The engine was fine, and I drove it to the body shop. Never saw the light that you did. I was told that the engine was worth about $25000 if it needed to be replaced.

Good Luck with getting it repaired.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:00 AM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Insurance Claim

As an insurance agent I would suggest you be sure to seek reimbursement for Diminution in Value The cost to repair your car is obvious. The car who hit you will pay for your damage. Your insurer will pay for the damage to the car you hit and any damage to your front bumper less your collision deductible.

After this, the car's value is diminished due to this accident. How much will be the subject of negotiation. Your dealer might be able to assist here. For example, if you were to trade your car without damage, what would you get? Then, how much less would you get with the damage. This difference is what the other insurer will owe and pay.

Good Luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 11:03 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about that. Ours was about $25k when my wife was rear-ended, although she was also pushed 10 feet forward into a car carrier, so the front bumper and lid had to be replaced.

Make sure the shop has both keys--when we got our car back the key that was in the house wouldn't work and required a trip to the dealer to be re-programmed.

As far as Dim Val, here is a point of reference:
My car had 7k miles, and was sold for about $10k less than would have normally been sold for (on the wholesale market). May be a little less in other cases as my car hadn't been titled and had a pretty long disclosure for the buyer to sign regarding the frame damage.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 AM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry to see this, and glad you're OK. Hope the driver of that crappy Honda has insurance.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:27 AM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bella1
As an insurance agent I would suggest you be sure to seek reimbursement for Diminution in Value The cost to repair your car is obvious. The car who hit you will pay for your damage. Your insurer will pay for the damage to the car you hit and any damage to your front bumper less your collision deductible.

After this, the car's value is diminished due to this accident. How much will be the subject of negotiation. Your dealer might be able to assist here. For example, if you were to trade your car without damage, what would you get? Then, how much less would you get with the damage. This difference is what the other insurer will owe and pay.

Good Luck!
I think that is good advice, I am seeking "accelerated depreciation" for my loss, but you need to crystallize your loss before you can go after the insurance company for your loss. I got rid of mine as soon as it was finished at the body shop. So now the battle begins.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:35 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback, please keep the valuable information coming. I really appreciate it.

I already reported the accident to the insurance company, and I am heading down to the body shop this afternoon to follow up with them (it was late last evening.)

I will keep it posted.

With best regards,
- Alex.

P.S. Folks, be careful on the road these days. The CHP officer told me that lately he has seen so many accidents due to people were not paying attention when driving.

Quick Reply: Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...