Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alex, which body shop you took your car to?
Old 04-24-2008, 02:01 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Thanks everyone for the kind feedback, please keep the valuable information coming. I really appreciate it.

I already reported the accident to the insurance company, and I am heading down to the body shop this afternoon to follow up with them (it was late last evening.)

I will keep it posted.

With best regards,
- Alex.

P.S. Folks, be careful on the road these days. The CHP officer told me that lately he has seen so many accidents due to people were not paying attention when driving.
Cellphones.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:16 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Man, I am glad you're okay. I am on 680 from San Jose to Fremont everyday and I've a few close one when people not paying attention what's in front of them.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you did not suffer any injuries. Your health is the most important thing. Everything else can be replaced.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:48 PM
OH997
Pro

Triode

My son in college drives a crappy Honda too!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:10 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Alex, which body shop you took your car to?
Mathews-Carlsen body shop at Palo Alto (it is sort of related to the Carlsen Porsche dealer, I think.) I know Paul over there, through my mechanic friend, and he took good care of my cars before.

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:20 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cag64
That sucks big time! I hope the distracted driver wasn't playing with a cell phone or better yet texting on a blackberry!!!!! I hope you are ok and your car turns out for the best.
I may be stepping on some toes here, but I think the police should confiscate a driver's cell phone (if with him at the time) and look at the call record to see if it was in use when the accident occurred. If in use, I think these people should be charged with driving without due care and attention. To me, many cell phone users are a menace to other drivers because they are too distracted from the task of driving.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:41 PM
MartyB
Racer

[QUOTE=Mr. Brown;5344845Here's another thought: If you're stopped and you see that the guy behind you is definitely going to hit you, you should move up so that your front bumper is touching the rear of the car in front of you. The impact of the hit to your rear is lessened when you're in contact with the car in front of you.
Mr. B.[/QUOTE]

I respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree with this recommendation. If you make contact with a car in front of you, intentionally or otherwise, before you are hit in the rear, both the driver in front of you and the driver behind you, if they see it, will tell the investigating officer that you had already "collided" with the car in front of you. This will result in you being cited for following too closely and most likely will result in you being at least partially responsible for the property damage and bodily injury to the person in front of you. Even if you barely touch the car in front of you and you are then slammed in the rear by a car going 60mph, there will so much damage to the front of your car and the rear of the first car that it will be very difficult to prove your speed at that point. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-24-2008, 03:43 PM
ds2k1
Racer

I think I saw your car on the side of the road! On my way home last night, on 101N, at about 7:30-7:45 I noticed an arctic silver carrera being placed on a flat bed on the southbound side of the freeway. I also noticed that the rear end looked messed up. Sorry to hear about the damage, man. I was rear-ended on the 101 a few years ago in my Boxster S...exact same scenario you just described. I wish you the best of luck. Are you having it repaired by Carlsen's auto body repair?
Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

I agree with Marty. You may not be hit hard enough to impact the car in front, if you are already touching him you will certainly damage the front of your car as well as the rear! Dumb idea.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Mr. Brown
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Physics

Originally Posted by Jim 'n' SC
I agree with Marty. You may not be hit hard enough to impact the car in front, if you are already touching him you will certainly damage the front of your car as well as the rear! Dumb idea.
It has something to do with physics. If you get hit in the rear, you absorb ALL the impact, but if you're in contact with the car in front of you, the impact is spread between the two cars and not ALL the impact is absorbed by your car.

Any physics majors out there who can provide the facts??
Mr. B
The following users liked this post:
ClaMag (11-23-2022)
Old 04-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Your color didn't help highlight you to that inattentive driver. One reason I got such a loud color was to be seen. Silver sort of blends in with the background and pavement I have found. Glad to hear you're okay. These cars are made from the start to handle this sort of damage and then be repairable.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr. Brown
It has something to do with physics. If you get hit in the rear, you absorb ALL the impact, but if you're in contact with the car in front of you, the impact is spread between the two cars and not ALL the impact is absorbed by your car.
Mr. B
The argument for doing what you suggested is that you minimize the rapid accelleration/deccelleration of your car/person because the guy in front of you absorbs the impact and will be the proverbial ball in the slingshot. Imagine an eight ball and a nine ball resting solidly against each other and the eight ball being struck flush by the cue directly opposite of the nine. Not accounting for spin and any offset of the shot, and due to the equal mass of the *****, the eight ball should not move, but the full speed of the cue will be transferred to the nine. Unlike billiard *****, cars are designed to crumple. I am unsure of how this technique would effect passenger compartment intrusion into the middle car by a vehicle in the front or rear, but I still don't recommend it.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 PM
jackball
Track Day

Also, if any of the involved insurance companies discover that you hit (even gently) the car in front of you first, they will likely place the majority of the liability on you.

Another lesson to learn from this is to double check your insurance limits. I think I had $50k in property damage coverage (including underinsured/uninsured) on my previous car, and my insurance company did not even think to suggest raising my limits when I bought my 997S. You never know when someone with minimum insurance (or no insurance) will hit you. I raised my property damage limits to $100k in case I am hit by an ininsured driver or if I damage someone else's 100k car.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I may be stepping on some toes here, but I think the police should confiscate a driver's cell phone (if with him at the time) and look at the call record to see if it was in use when the accident occurred. If in use, I think these people should be charged with driving without due care and attention. To me, many cell phone users are a menace to other drivers because they are too distracted from the task of driving.
Next thing you know people will carry throw down cell phones.

Quick Reply: Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...