Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:22 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
Make sure your neck hurts and get back massages 3 time a week for a few months.
I am still dealing with doctors, twice a week to Message Therapy, once a week to Chiropractor and once every two weeks to Physiotherapy. As well I do my own stretches and light workouts at home, this is 8 months after. Go see a doctor and do what ever they tell you to do.

Originally Posted by roberga
The bumperetts do a great job. As you can see, my impact compressed the shocks all the way and the force transfered to the rails which folded. Yes it did hurt.
This is the main frame rail, mine was shortened 1/2", I wasn't keen about keeping my car after this accident.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My belt did the same. It is engineered to do so. It do make sure that you will not put it through another shock load.

My M.D.s only cared that the disk was intact and no bones were broken. I started getting monster headaches within a couple of days. I could not make it through the day and had to lay down. Went to a Chiropractor that discovered that my C1 moved slightly. She made a single adjustment and the headaches never can back. I could not believe it as I thought the profession was fake.
Old 04-26-2008, 04:37 AM
CayenneS2083
Advanced

i got hit by the back and my frame rail (like the pic above) is slightly bent (not as bad though). how bad is that?
Old 04-26-2008, 11:40 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Look for other damage. My son was rear ended in our infiniti and it didn't look bad at all. But the gap at the rear door was gone and the door wouldn't stay closed. It would pop open going down the road.

Will more likely than not hurt resale. I would try very hard to get his insurance to buy it at full retail and get your self another car. Let them fix it and sell it.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:04 PM
rcl
Pro

I just got rear-ended yesterday in stop-and-go highway traffic by a guy, yes, on his cellphone.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:45 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got rear-ended yesterday in stop-and-go highway traffic by a guy, yes, on his cellphone.
I am so sorry to hear that. Hope you are okay and your car is not damaged badly.

Since someone rear-ended my car last week... Now I am so paranoid even when I am just a passenger in my wife's car. I keep yelling "Watch out, this!", "Watch out, that!", I think I am driving my wife crazy.

With best regards,
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Some updates:

I visited my dealer body shop today. They told me the good news -- the bumper and the exhaust took all the hit, and the car basically had no damage itself. They are going to replace the bumper, the whole PSE exhaust system, catalytic converters, and a bunch of other parts. And that is pretty much about it.

The body shop bill is about $14K and the insurance will cover it (the accident was 100% other party's fault.) Most of the bill is for the parts and not much for the labor. The dealer body shop was half joking, "Good for you, Alex. Bad for us."

I consider myself really luck-out this time. Yes, it is never a good thing to be rear-ended; but thank you to the Porsche engineers, my 997S and myself will have a full recovery.

And thank you again to all you folks for the advises and kind words.

I will keep it posted.

With best regards,

- Alex.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Alex,

Allow me to flash back to my high school job in a body shop... you're lucky in that the collision was straight on so the bumper was able to evenly dissipate the force of the impact. Also, it appears that no metal body panels were even scratched, so all painting will be on the new bumper [which should be done off the car] so you shouldn't have any paint blending issues.

Depending on how your views of human nature, you may want to check the car out before the new bumper goes on to see that all the new parts ordered were necessary and were installed.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:40 PM
jmla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
Some updates:

I visited my dealer body shop today. They told me the good news -- the bumper and the exhaust took all the hit, and the car basically had no damage itself. They are going to replace the bumper, the whole PSE exhaust system, catalytic converters, and a bunch of other parts. And that is pretty much about it.

The body shop bill is about $14K and the insurance will cover it (the accident was 100% other party's fault.) Most of the bill is for the parts and not much for the labor. The dealer body shop was half joking, "Good for you, Alex. Bad for us."

I consider myself really luck-out this time. Yes, it is never a good thing to be rear-ended; but thank you to the Porsche engineers, my 997S and myself will have a full recovery.

And thank you again to all you folks for the advises and kind words.

I will keep it posted.

With best regards,

- Alex.

It's good to hear that there wasn't any frame damage, have you considered replacing the rear bumper cover with the euro version (no bumperettes)?
Old 05-01-2008, 12:21 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

It's nice to know we can get bumped and have our babies brought back to 100% good as new!!!

:-0
Old 05-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

That's a testament to Porsche engineering!

Imagine the repair bill if the body took the hit!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he removed the bumperetts there would have been a lot more damage.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:05 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

It's good to hear that there wasn't any frame damage, have you considered replacing the rear bumper cover with the euro version (no bumperettes)?
Thanks. I think I would stick with the bumperette bumper.

After this accident, I kind of grow to like the idea of anything that sticks out from the bumper to protect me and the car

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:21 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Greetings,

Some updates:

I just picked up my car from the dealer body shop today. They did a very good job. The car looks just like before, and technically newer (with brand new PSE, catalyst converters, O2 sensors, etc.)

The repair bill came total about $17K, which was covered by insurance (the accident was the other party's fault.) The bill included all new rear & front bumpers, the whole exhaust system, and a bunch other parts.

Paul (whom I knew him before) at the body shop kept telling me how strangely lucky I was -- the bumper and the exhaust took all the hit, and the car itself basically had no damages. They just replaced a bunch of parts and installed new bumpers, and that was pretty much of it.

I brought my car to my Porsche mechanic, whom I knew for years. We crawled up & down to check the car, and he approved the job.

I drove the car home, and it ran just like before.

Thank you folks for all the inputs and advises. It is never a good thing to be rear-ended, but I am grateful that my car and I are okay.

With warm regards,
- Alex.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Alex, nice to see things are going well. These cars are built very well and I think designed so if they take a hit, they can be easily put back together. Remember when out there watch your back.

Jay

Quick Reply: Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...