Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this June or July the "hands free" cellphone law takes affect in CA, not that it will make a lot of difference IMHO.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:49 PM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think you'd be better off if you are not in contact with a car in front of you. When struck from the rear, your car is pushed forward, and that forward movement is a source of energy dissipation that would otherwise be absorbed as damage to the car's rear.

If you are in in contact with the car infront, and are then hit from the rear, there is more conbined mass to be pushed, and therefore, you and the car in front will move less distance, forcing the colliding car to decelerate more rapidly and the additional energy of that more rapid deceleration is therefore absorbed as damage to your car.

To put it another way, if you were hit from behind, just before collision, would you rather have your car's front touching the wall of a building or have clear room infront of it?

The only advantage I can see of pulling forward if someone is screeching behind you is it buys a few more feet for their car to be that much slower before impact - of if you are lucky, possibly achieve a full stop before impact.
Old 04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
dD/dt
Racer

Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
I believe this June or July the "hands free" cellphone law takes affect in CA, not that it will make a lot of difference IMHO.
Unfortunately, you're right, it doesn't really help.

The problem with cell phones and driving has everything to do with situational awareness, and much less to do with holding a handset. If a driver converses with someone in the car, the passenger is aware of what is happening around the car. The conversation can ebb and flow as the traffic situation allows. On a cell phone, the other person has no idea of what's happening in the car, and this causes a much greater distraction to the driver.

The chances of being involved in an accident while using a cell phone are about 4x higher than when not using a phone. Not much different than drving drunk.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Rolls in the end of July 08. Unfortunately, the penalty is something like $20 for the first, and $50 for the second offense. In short, they aren't taking it very seriously. (No points assessed, either). it's just another tax. Also, the police can't pull you over for just the phone infraction. They can get you for the phone if you are already pulled over for something else.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Your color didn't help highlight you to that inattentive driver. One reason I got such a loud color was to be seen.
Well you could have saved yourself over $4000.00 by switching to Speed Yellow on your order - the loudest of the free colors.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I saw your car on the side of the road! On my way home last night, on 101N, at about 7:30-7:45 I noticed an arctic silver carrera being placed on a flat bed on the southbound side of the freeway. I also noticed that the rear end looked messed up. Sorry to hear about the damage, man. I was rear-ended on the 101 a few years ago in my Boxster S...exact same scenario you just described. I wish you the best of luck. Are you having it repaired by Carlsen's auto body repair?
Yes, I believe it was my car... And sorry to hear about your Boxster S too!

Yes, I am going to have Mathews-Carlsen (Carlsen's, I believe) body shop to repair my car. I sort of know Paul over there, and he always took good care of my cars.

I dropped by to the body shop earlier today. They just lifted the car and started to checkout the damage.

According to Paul, my engine stalled and threw a '... Visit Workshop" red message on the dash was because -- the impact smashed all the exhaust pipes (my car came with PSE from factory) and probably messed up the O2 sensors (there are four O2 sensors, Paul said). So, the computer probably shut down the engine for precaution.

My seatbelt also locked and wouldn't extend now. Paul mentioned something that there was a little explosive device (sort of like the airbags) in the seat belt, that when the car sensed a big enough impact, the mechanisim would explose and tighten the seatbelt to protect us.

Paul also said that the engine seemed not damaged, but they will take off all the bumper and exhaust parts to doublecheck. They are going to replace pretty much the whole exhaust system.

That is the update so far, I will keep it posted.

And thanks again to everyone's kind words and advises, I truly appreciate it.

With best regards,
- Alex.

Here is a pic of the car on the lift:
Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm glad OCben posted my thread. Yes your car can be put back together. And it will be fine. A few things to check with regards to engine however are the pulleys on the front of the engine. Two of mine where slightly damaged from the impact that you can see. The air box was pushed back into them. Make sure your spoiler is fine and working properly. Most importantly it doesn't appear that your quarter panels were damaged, and that's important. Your rear light covers may be bent, hard to say. Maybe a new rear exhaust. But most importantly you are fine and healthy. You can put these cars back together again, but you must find a great body shop. Lastly did you sustain any damage to the front of the car? Hang in there. I know how you feel, but look at the pics of my car and you will see that yes we can begin a new. I have some new pics finally coming next week of my newly installed wheels. Your love for your car won't die, it will only grow stronger.

Good luck , Jay
Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

One last thing. Ever since my accident I always drive with my lights on so I can be seen. With these cars being so low many drivers who aren't paying attention don't see them until the last minute.

Jay
Old 04-24-2008, 10:57 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your hit looks a bit better than mine was. Did your rear quarter panels pull in just in front of the wheels? Make sure they look very close at the headers. Mine were bent. Also, the only way for the body shop to inspect the rear rails is to drop the motor. If you are lucky Posche will be back ordered on exhaust parts and you can get an aftermarket. That happened with me. 8 weeks for the exhaust manifolds so the insurance approved Fabspeed :-). My bill was $27K.

In Washington all liability goes to the car that started the wreck. The insurance companies fight it out.

Last edited by roberga; 04-24-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:11 PM
andre5
Instructor

Originally Posted by bella1
As an insurance agent I would suggest you be sure to seek reimbursement for Diminution in Value The cost to repair your car is obvious. The car who hit you will pay for your damage. Your insurer will pay for the damage to the car you hit and any damage to your front bumper less your collision deductible.

After this, the car's value is diminished due to this accident. How much will be the subject of negotiation. Your dealer might be able to assist here. For example, if you were to trade your car without damage, what would you get? Then, how much less would you get with the damage. This difference is what the other insurer will owe and pay.

Good Luck!
Unfortunately in CA, there is no Diminution in Value. However, everything is negotiable.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here is what happened too mine. It look very much like yours from the surface. Another thing to take a close look at is the carrier. Can not imagine your shop will not do a great job. Porsche does a great job of protecting the motor. My hit was from a car going 35-45 and they never hit the brakes just lifted. Make sure your neck hurts and get back massages 3 time a week for a few months.

The bumperetts do a great job. As you can see, my impact compressed the shocks all the way and the force transfered to the rails which folded. Yes it did hurt.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

So sorry about the accident. Having had a similar thing happen to me, I know how bad it feels. Two comments:

Why is it that people feel compelled to offer advice on how to avoid accidents like this? Some of these are simply unavoidable regardless how careful you are. I fail to see how this kind of advice is helpful to the OP.

I agree with the other comment about dimunition of value. I don't know if it is something that can be pursued in your state, but if it is definitely do it. I've got some first hand experience with that myself, so if you want any info, please PM me.

Mike
Old 04-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts
Default Sorry about your accident. I've spent years commutting on...

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I was on 101 South. The car in front of me stopped due to traffic, and then I stopped behind him. I was at complete stop, a second or two later, I looked up my rear view mirror and saw a Honda Accord appraching behind my car quickly.

The driver was apparantly not paying attention to the road. He didn't slow down until very close to my car. At the last seconds, he realized the freeway traffic was stopped, and he hit the brake hard. I heard his screeching tires (no ABS I believe) and BAMP! He reared-end my 997S.

The impact pushed my 997S forward to touch the car in front of me. My 997S automatically tightened its seatbelt and flashed the emergency blinker, the engine stopped but the airbag was not deployed.

I tried to start my engine again. However, the engine only ran seconds and then stalled. A something like "...Visit Workshop' red warning message displayed on the dash. It seemed my car was not drive-able.

CHP came, tow truck came, and my car was now in the bodyshop. It was late in the evening and I am going to call the bodyshop tomorrow morning.

From the picture, can we tell how bad the damage was? The engine couldn't run and the 'visit workshop' message do worry me a bit...

With best regards,
- Alex.

Before:

After:

His bumper pushed in, abobve my exhaust and under the bumper pad:

The Honda that rear-ended my car:
101 and 280 and more recently 580 and 680 and I hate it when traffic comes to an abrupt stop. I'm watchful -- never use cell phone in car -- but I'm about the only one sans a cell phone and I cringe as I watch cars/vehicles behind me as they duck and swerve and dodge while braking to give themselves more room.

Used to be a saying Hondas (and other cars) always have collision damage in the front while Porsches with their better brakes (and dare I say more attentive drivers) seem to get hit in the rear.

In case no one has posted on this, the engine would not restart because in a severe enough collision the fuel pump is shut off to avoid in a real bad collision when a fuel line can be broken to prevent the electric fuel pump from continuing to run and perhaps feeding a gas fire. The dealer can reset the pump for you, or there may even be a switch located in trunk area that you can reset.

The owners manual I think covers this, but I don't have one handy to consult, being away (thousands of miles away! I'm on business in UK and my car's parked under a cover in northern CA) from my Porsche and its owners manual.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:00 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Seatbelt locking - yes, there is a two wires connector plugged into the base of the seatbelt assembly. I saw that when I replaced my seatbelt recently and I thought it's for the "seatbelt chime"
Old 04-25-2008, 01:08 PM
NorthVan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by keninirvine
I may be stepping on some toes here, but I think the police should confiscate a driver's cell phone (if with him at the time) and look at the call record to see if it was in use when the accident occurred. If in use, I think these people should be charged with driving without due care and attention. To me, many cell phone users are a menace to other drivers because they are too distracted from the task of driving.
TOOKI! Works well.

Quick Reply: Someone rear-ended my 997S on freeway today...