Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I paint the rocker panels (see pic below)?
Yes
53.85%
No
46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Now My Order - Comments Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 09:58 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Now My Order - Comments Welcome

Well, I'm about to place an order on a new made-for-me 997 C4S and I thought I would run my options by you all and see whatcha think. I'm open to comments, suggestions, and even criticisms (about the car, not about me. ).

My Mission:
Ideally, my mission is to stay in the $95K-97K MSRP range. As seen below, so much for these plans.

Although I used to own a 993 C4 Cab that I competed in Top-Side Concours with and drove only on perfect days, this 997 will be a daily driver here in Michigan. So, I will have snow to contend with and plan to get another set of wheels with snow tires.

I also plan to have this car for 5 or so years, so a clear bra and Valentine 1 are probably in order.

So, here we go:

2008 C4S Coupe - 6 speed manual - $89,700 Base

L2 Ruby Red Metallic $690.00
06 Brown Natural Leather $4,875.00
369 Standard Seats $0.00
810 Floor Mats in Interior Color $140.00
342 Heated Seats $500.00
267 Self Dimming Mirrors $385.00
635 Park Assist System $530.00
680 BOSE High End Sound Package $1,390.00
CUV Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo $295.00
XMZ Rear Center Console in Leather $1,260.00
XLF Sport Exhaust System $2,400.00
405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel $390.00
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest $185.00
CDZ Gear Lever Trim in Leather $250.00
XTV Door Finishers in Leather $360.00
XMA Rooflining in Leather $1,180.00
XMP Sun Visors in Leather $560.00
XZD Dome Lamp Cover in Leather $335.00
XNS Steering Column in Leather $420.00
P15 Power Seat Package $1,550.00

To be determined:
Deviating Carpet (Black) $630

Finally, any comments, particularly on the painted rocker panels on a Ruby Red C4S are welcomed and solicited.
Attached Images     

Last edited by InTheAir; 01-29-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

personally i'd buy used and get one that has more options than what you're trying to buy new for less.

if i were to order one to spec i'd make sure to get these items:

-Aerokit
-PCCB
-Full leather
-Full CF
-color backed sport seats
-the sportiest steering wheel avail
-sport exhaust
-powerkit

but if i priced it out like above, i'd be insane not to get a gt3 or turbo so... buy used.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy used (like an 05) and run that until the new 997.5 comes out later in the year. No point buying a new car that will be the old version in about 4 months.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:51 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your have to haves make sense to me, but I actually left off power seats after trying power v. standard. I found that with the exception of the lumbar adjustment, the standard seats will do almost everything the power seats will do, they are a relatively significant weight savings and they are the most expensive option on your list. You might want to spend some time in each. If your car will be regularly driven by more than one driver, the memory function is nice, but I think that scenario is rare. PSE was a must have for me, but I understand why some would not want to pay 2,400 for it.

I was never drawn to the multi function wheel and really haven't tried it so I probably shouldn't knock it, but I think it looks cluttered and has limited usefulness without NAV. I like steering wheel controls in my new Avalanche because I have voice NAV, XM radio, etc. and the cabin is quiet enough that I usually listen to music while driving. The 3.8 makes its own music.

Regarding crests in headrests and stainless illuminated entry guards, a salesman told me to get in the car, sit down and close the door so I would be in the position in which I would spend most of my time while around the car. He then said thru the open window "how do you like the headrests and entry guards look now"? Of course I could see neither, but I ended up ordering the entry guards anyway - just too cool to pass up. I skipped the headrests and for about the same price I added storage compartment lid with model logo because it was actually adding leather and stitching and a very prominent Carrera S in a place where I will see it rather than just stamping some existing leather. Park assist makes sense to me, but I decided not to include it. I did not order self dimming mirrors, but I've almost decided to add them.

Stainless tips will look great with Ruby Red - only 2,060 more bucks and you've got PSE

Although quite expensive, full leather interior eventually became a had to have forme. I'm getting the black/sand beige, which would look amazing with Ruby Red. I think the standard interior is nice but just not nearly enough cowhide for an almost $100k car if you ask me. If you dropped power seats, painted rocker panels and multi-function wheel you'd just about be there .

I know it is not easy - you just have to decide what is most important to you within what you want to spend. FWIW, I think you are building a very nice car.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:06 PM
pred8or
Racer

Yes used is the best deal. Second would be a leftover. Third an ordered car. and lastly waiting for the new one. I am in the same boat as you. Nothing used struck my fancy they are all black, silver, or grey. The leftovers all all those colors , over optioned, and very few if any C4S's. I did not want to wait longer than spring and I imagine you dont want to either. Also the new version discounts will be rare or smaller for a while. I Love your Ruby Red and wheels. To me its the model and colors everything else is how much you get for how much you spend. "My Order" thread is similar to yours and I have added a couple things after discussion . I will be adding self dim mirrors , clear bra, and BOSE on top of my original thoughts but it looks like you have those covered. Good luck I will be following your thread! PS I did consider RUBY but after looking at it I like GR better. Cobalt is my final choice although I keep rethinking back to GR and SY for the non-metallic look.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:09 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Le Chef
I'd buy used (like an 05) and run that until the new 997.5 comes out later in the year. No point buying a new car that will be the old version in about 4 months.
Hi Le Chef -

Has the 997.5 been confirmed for 2009?

I know we've been hearing about it for a year or so already, but has it been confirmed?

Is it anything really substantially (in Porsche Terms?)?
Old 01-11-2008, 11:18 PM
MartyB
Racer

I keep hearing tighter margins for dealers in '09, increased retail pricing due to the weak dollar and minimal discounts because of the initial "newness" of the facelifted car. I don't care to pay $8k or so more dollars for LED lights, slightly tweeked front and rear bits and as yet unproven (at least in 911) DFI engines. 20 extra horses might be worth waiting and paying for, but who knows if that'll happen - if you wait to find out, it will be too late to be driving a brand new custom ordered '08 with a really nice discount this Spring.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:21 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MartyB
Your have to haves make sense to me, but I actually left off power seats after trying power v. standard. I found that with the exception of the lumbar adjustment, the standard seats will do almost everything the power seats will do, they are a relatively significant weight savings and they are the most expensive option on your list. You might want to spend some time in each. If your car will be regularly driven by more than one driver, the memory function is nice, but I think that scenario is rare.
Marty, first, thanks for all of the comments and suggestions. Very helpful.

The powerseats, for me, were due to the fact that my wife will be driving this car and I hate having to reset the seats, and try to find that perfect position that I had it set before. But, that said, I will reconsider the power seats.

PSE was a must have for me, but I understand why some would not want to pay 2,400 for it.
I like the idea of it, but I'm not sure I will like them enough to justify it on a daily driver (to/from work).

I was never drawn to the multi function wheel and really haven't tried it so I probably shouldn't knock it, but I think it looks cluttered and has limited usefulness without NAV. I like steering wheel controls in my new Avalanche because I have voice NAV, XM radio, etc. and the cabin is quiet enough that I usually listen to music while driving. The 3.8 makes its own music.
The steering wheel has been one of my biggest questions. I can't imagine a 100K car without radio controls on the wheel, but I understand your points. They are pretty persuasive.

Regarding crests in headrests and stainless illuminated entry guards, a salesman told me to get in the car, sit down and close the door so I would be in the position in which I would spend most of my time while around the car. He then said thru the open window "how do you like the headrests and entry guards look now"? Of course I could see neither, but I ended up ordering the entry guards anyway - just too cool to pass up. I skipped the headrests and for about the same price I added storage compartment lid with model logo because it was actually adding leather and stitching and a very prominent Carrera S in a place where I will see it rather than just stamping some existing leather.
Hehe

I could give up the headrest crests and, like you, I am still drawn to the sills. I'm a gadget kind of guy, so the sills might stay in.

Do you have any additional info/pics on the compartment ld with model logo. That sounds nice.

Park assist makes sense to me, but I decided not to include it.
That's really one to help my wife not back in to something.

Although quite expensive, full leather interior eventually became a had to have forme. I'm getting the black/sand beige, which would look amazing with Ruby Red. I think the standard interior is nice but just not nearly enough cowhide for an almost $100k car if you ask me. If you dropped power seats, painted rocker panels and multi-function wheel you'd just about be there .
food for thought.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:25 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MartyB
I keep hearing tighter margins for dealers in '09, increased retail pricing due to the weak dollar and minimal discounts because of the initial "newness" of the facelifted car. I don't care to pay $8k or so more dollars for LED lights, slightly tweeked front and rear bits and as yet unproven (at least in 911) DFI engines. 20 extra horses might be worth waiting and paying for, but who knows if that'll happen - if you wait to find out, it will be too late to be driving a brand new custom ordered '08 with a really nice discount this Spring.
Those are my thoughts exactly.

I'd hate to wait so long for the next big thing. I'm pretty content (at least for now) thinking I'll be happy with this car, even after the facelift.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:29 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pred8or
Yes used is the best deal. Second would be a leftover. Third an ordered car. and lastly waiting for the new one. I am in the same boat as you. Nothing used struck my fancy they are all black, silver, or grey. The leftovers all all those colors , over optioned, and very few if any C4S's. I did not want to wait longer than spring and I imagine you dont want to either. Also the new version discounts will be rare or smaller for a while. I Love your Ruby Red and wheels. To me its the model and colors everything else is how much you get for how much you spend. "My Order" thread is similar to yours and I have added a couple things after discussion . I will be adding self dim mirrors , clear bra, and BOSE on top of my original thoughts but it looks like you have those covered. Good luck I will be following your thread! PS I did consider RUBY but after looking at it I like GR better. Cobalt is my final choice although I keep rethinking back to GR and SY for the non-metallic look.
Thanks, Pred!! I agree.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

DO yourself a favor, go over the order and how/what you want and what you may not have been aware of that you can do on the car before you pull the trigger.

I lost out on painted seatbacks, painted wheels, a few highlights of color on metal trim, carbon fiber, painted console, leather rear console cover with crest or model on it, colored gauge faces, etc etc.

It's amazing on what you can do to get it just the way you want. That's if you are going to keep it. Otherwise some items turn off buyers.

So choose wisely, take your time and go over it as often as you have to in order to make absolutly sure that's what you want.

Deanski
Old 01-11-2008, 11:52 PM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I always encourage folks if they order their cars, try to get the PSE from factory. This way the PSE will come with 4yr/50K factory warranty (longer if dealer extended warranty added), which couldn't be had if add later even install by dealer.

I think PSE makes driving the 997s more evenful, and change the car into a totally different animal. It has true Porsche-tuned exhaust note. In my book it is a must have option, especially if it came with factory warranty.

With best regards,
Old 01-12-2008, 12:19 AM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

when I bought the C4S cab the deal would not have happened without the PSE, it is the only factory way to make the car a PORSCHE (NEXT TO x51 or GT...).
Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Boy, you guys are really making me think twice on the PSE.........(I've resorted some of the items above at this point)

Any online sound comparisons that you know of?? I might need to seek out a local example.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:34 AM
MartyB
Racer

Here is a decent example of before and after, but you really need to hear one in person and drive one. If you hear if up close, you'll probably have to have it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4l3EBD1sVA

Quick Reply: Now My Order - Comments Welcome