Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I paint the rocker panels (see pic below)?
Yes
53.85%
No
46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Now My Order - Comments Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 AM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Yes you can get a used or leftover car. Sometimes you even get lucky and find exactly what you want. I did. BUT if you order it's a one of a kind personalized car, you're going to drive it a long time, so go for it.
2. PSE. I turn it on every time I get in the car.
3. Forget the multifunction wheel. You might consider the thicker wheel instead depending on the size of your hands. I really like mine.
4. I'd skip the painted rockers, they'll just be grief to you when they get torn up on your roads and I'd be concerned about clear plastic bra material down there where you are going to have lots of ice melt...
5. Get the clear bra.
6. If you're spending the money for electric seats at least try the sports adaptive. They are worth the money.
7. What about BOSE? I don't think I saw that on your list. I'm not a big music fan but my 996 radio was crap and this one is MUCH better. I'd at least compare the two while driving.
8. Short shift kit.
9. Full leather. What you see when driving the car is inside and the full leather makes a tremendous difference in the car's interior appearance.
10. Heated seats. Especially where you live you'd be nuts not to have them.
11. Something else for your wife to drive. (You're not really going to let her drive this car are you?)

Your color is terrific.

I'm looking forward to seeing your final decisions!

Tony
Old 01-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The general consensus is that Porsche will introduce the revised 997 at the end of the 1st quarter of this year with the US getting 09 models late summer. Consensus says the cars will have DFI, another 10hp, LED rear lights, some minor restyling, new PCM system with iPod connectivity and Bluetooth. There is still some uncertainty about when Porsche will introduce PDK/DSG gearboxes. It may be at the same time or later.

So you have a choice: "carpe diem" and buy today, or carp in a few months about why you wished you'd waited for the new model. Your money, your call.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:45 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

2. PSE. I turn it on every time I get in the car.

--you guys have really pushed me to near completion on the PSE. I had some of Robin Sun's exhausts on my 993, so your recommendations are resonanting with me. (pun intended)

3. Forget the multifunction wheel. You might consider the thicker wheel instead depending on the size of your hands. I really like mine.

--yup, I've moved it nearly off the list. It's not worth the money for volume control only (I'm not getting the NAV, so few buttons will be helpful.)

4. I'd skip the painted rockers, they'll just be grief to you when they get torn up on your roads and I'd be concerned about clear plastic bra material down there where you are going to have lots of ice melt...

--I ~think~ I like the look, but I really am concerned with their longevity in a DD. Good comments.

5. Get the clear bra.
6. If you're spending the money for electric seats at least try the sports adaptive. They are worth the money.

--I'll check out the sport adaptive. My concern with sport seats is whether they are over the top when carrying a passenger--whether in a business role or husband/wife night out. I might stay this decision for a bit and perhaps upgrade down the road if/when I decide to track the car (something I couldn't do with my 993 C4 Cab.)

7. What about BOSE? I don't think I saw that on your list. I'm not a big music fan but my 996 radio was crap and this one is MUCH better. I'd at least compare the two while driving.

-- Bose is definitely there. It appears to be the best solution--from factory or aftermarket.

8. Short shift kit.

-- I'll be driving a lot in cold weather. I'm concerned with smooth shifts with the SS. I've driven a manual with the standard throw and it seemed pretty good. I'll have to give this one more thought.

9. Full leather. What you see when driving the car is inside and the full leather makes a tremendous difference in the car's interior appearance.

-- I hear ya. Now, is it worth $3,365 to me....

10. Heated seats. Especially where you live you'd be nuts not to have them.

--Definitely on the list.
11. Something else for your wife to drive. (You're not really going to let her drive this car are you?)

--She never drove my 993, but I ~am~ trying to grow as a person and overcome some OCD. We're going to continue under the assumption she will be driving the car....at least for now.

Your color is terrific.

I'm looking forward to seeing your final decisions!

--Thanks.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:02 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Load it up to your liking.

I have the multifunction steering wheel and would not pay extra for it.

PSE is a no brainer from my perspective-you won't regret for one minute driving daily with the extra growl. Maybe consider passing on the factory option and get aftermarket. I don't think I would ever feel the need to turn it off.

Consider colored gage faces and seatbelts as items that will personalize your car. I am one of the rare people that seems to like the improved throttle mapping with the SC option. The perceived improvement in responsiveness make the car feel that much more Porsche-like.

I have and would get again PCCB. I'm also a sucker for carbon fiber parts and would get the steering wheel and shift lever. The power seats are a must for me-witrh memory position for my wife.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Hey M -

The weather's good and the roads clear.....let's go for a drive.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:38 AM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by axhoaxho
I always encourage folks if they order their cars, try to get the PSE from factory. This way the PSE will come with 4yr/50K factory warranty (longer if dealer extended warranty added), which couldn't be had if add later even install by dealer.

I think PSE makes driving the 997s more evenful, and change the car into a totally different animal. It has true Porsche-tuned exhaust note. In my book it is a must have option, especially if it came with factory warranty.

With best regards,
Ditto on the PSE since they come w/ really distinctive offset polished chrome tips.

If you don't do Sport Chrono then you'll get a switch (w/ exhaust tip icon) in the place of 'Sport Mode' which will just activate the PSE (quiet/loud) mode.

Check into the non-illuminated stainless entry sills. I've got those on my 'S'; just as nice looking but w/o illumination. Less $$$ too.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:02 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

If you are now seriously considering Full Leather, I would recommend you take a hard look at the Natural Brown Leather option. The color is darker than Sand Beige, but not brown as the name implies. It is the color of peanut butter and is very rich looking, and IMO, would look AWESOME with the Ruby Red paint.

If you do go with Full Leather, there are a couple of additional options that really complete the Full Leather look.

1st pic - XTV - Door Finishers in Leather - with the Full Leather option, most of the door panel will be leather. This option completes the leather look.
2nd pic - XMZ - Rear Center Console Leather (notice in this pic, the car does not have option CDZ - Gear Lever Trim Leather, see next item)
3rd pic - CDZ - Gear Lever Trim Leather (the small piece between the lower console and the shifter boot)
4th pic - CUV - Storage Cmpt Lid W/Model Logo (I believe this is an example of Natural Brown leather) I know you have already said you were getting this option but I wanted to show you a close up of the Natural Brown leather.
Attached Images     
Old 01-12-2008, 12:10 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Tim, you are dangerous.

I agree that Natural Brown would look stellar with Ruby Red. I'm going to give the full leather (with extras) a hard look.

There is no argument that it adds a lot of class to a 100K car....but am I willing to pay for it.

Thanks for the pictures--they REALLY help!
Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My Vote :
Get a 2007 C4S :

19" Carrera Sport Wheels
Wheel Caps with Coloured Crest
Heated Seats
Self Dimming Mirrors
BOSE High End Sound Package
FULL and Supple Leather - For me.. makes it classier and looks great.. wish I had the stitched full leather
P-Sport Exhaust System - Mandatory
Power Seat Package - makes a difference..
Short Shifter - Love the feel

I also have the coloured dials and Belts .. but I have all black and the red makes it pop out

Last edited by mzn50; 02-07-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:36 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Hey M -

The weather's good and the roads clear.....let's go for a drive.
I wish! Unfortunately I have put my car in storage and taken off insurance for the winter. I do suggest we try to have a Michigan get together sometime in the spring. I'm in Troy, where are you at?
Old 01-12-2008, 12:39 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Dang John, your C4S was a fine looking machine.

Gerald
Thanks G! All that custom setup and the powerkit, too. Atlas Grey paint is now a $2450 option.

For some reason that I can't comprehend now, when I got married I wanted to start new habits. I passed on a custom ordered GT3 at MSRP, too.

Stupidity beyond words.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:40 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

I'm in Clarkston...work in Troy.

There are also a number of 993 owners around here that would probably love to get together for a drive (perhaps around the thumb?).
Old 01-12-2008, 12:50 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Great, I still love the 993 look. A friend of mine has a TT and would also probably join us.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:58 PM
8haggis
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 26 Posts

If you guys get a drive together, let me know.

I also feel PSE is a must. Have it, love it. I think you should hear the sound in person to make the final call on it. Let me know if you are having trouble finding one.

The suggestion of the black floor is a very good one. I had a 86 Carrera with red exterior and tan interior. Very nice look, but after several years, the floor could not be kept clean-looking.

Do you plan to purchase in-state? Suburban puts battery keepers on all the 997s, free of charge. Very handy for those long parks in the garage.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:10 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Default What about option T

Looking back through old posts I might be inclined to look for the left over or slightly used Targa 4S if available.

Quick Reply: Now My Order - Comments Welcome