Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I paint the rocker panels (see pic below)?
Yes
53.85%
No
46.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Now My Order - Comments Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing I would add would have to be the sports steering wheel (although as I write this not sure if it is standard on the s) I bought it for my basde and it is the best thing I ever did. Feels so much better then the bigger std wheel
Old 01-12-2008, 11:55 PM
tkids
Pro

Here is some more pics with Ruby Red. It is not a question of if you need the C sports, you need them with Ruby Red! IMHO I think it would make that combo look rich! I went with the c sports and seal grey, i think it makes the car! C sport for sure!

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...fpart=all&vc=1

after seeing those pics.......C sports! Notice the painted rocker panels on that c4s!

I went with the standard seats. I only regret it due to not having lumbar adjustment. My back is killing me.

I went with the painted rocker panels. No problems with chipping and I live in harsh winter conditions. I couldn't stand the black plastic.

I would pass on the sports chrono if i had to do it again.

I love the exhaust note on the standard exhaust, would probably like to hear more of it! PSE, mmmmmm if I could do it again, I would try it.

I went without full leather, don't regret it. Don't like the plastic rear center console, might leather that up.

hope my 2 cents helps out. Keep having fun picking out your stuff!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:13 AM
MartyB
Racer

Originally Posted by tkids
I went with the standard seats. I only regret it due to not having lumbar adjustment. My back is killing me.
Are you prone to back pain or do you think the standard seats are causing you to suffer?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:53 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Thanks, Marty.

Here's a Ruby with the Classics, also. Now, if I can just find a RR with C Sport pic, I could remove all guess work.

OK, here is a quicj and dirty Photoshop I did with the Carrera Sport wheels on a Ruby Red C4S. I think they look good. I hope this helps.
Attached Images  

Last edited by gota911; 01-13-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:27 AM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Although the Carrera Sports look nice on ruby red, I think the lighter color Classics and Sport Designs stand out more. The GT silver painted center do give the car a more sinister look, if you like that sort of thing. Full leather is also a must for me. Yes, it's expensive, and no, there's nothing wrong with the standard interior, but the full stitched leather dramatically changes the look and feel of the cabin. I didn't opt for it on my previous 996, and I regretted it from day one.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:19 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing about the 19" Carrera Classic wheels is that... it is so so (did I say 'so' twice? I did ) easy to clean. Especially if we don't have PCCB, the brake dust will dirty the wheels almost daily.

With the Carrera Classic wheels, I just need to use a micro-fibre cloth (the yellow one, good price at Costco) to gently whip the wheels; and in less than 4 minutes all four wheels are 90% clean! (not bad for in between car wash cleaning.)

With best regards,
- Alex, 07 997S, 00 986S, 87 951.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tim, Charlie, Alex -

Thanks for that, especially the PS job. It helps to visualize it.

The C Sports are clearly ~the~ wheel to have for the dark greys, bright colors (GR, SY, etc.), and perhaps even the blacks. I think it looks good with the Ruby Red....but it seems that you really need to have the dark interior (grey, black). I wonder if my beige interior will compliment that so-called sinister exterior look (I think that's a good description).

That said, the C Classics are nice because they are incredibly easy to clean and a throw back to some of the simplicity of the 993 and MY02 wheels.

I will be in the market for two sets of wheels--summer and winter. I'm thinking that if I order the C Classics, if they aren't my favorite, they could become my winter wheels and I could get the C Sports for summer. Otherwise, I could keep the C Classics for the summer and get something like Lobsters for winter use.

I do feel like I've narrowed down many of my choices (and updated this thread along the way) and everyones advice has been a tremendous help in the process. Thanks!!
Old 01-13-2008, 01:02 PM
tkids
Pro

Originally Posted by MartyB
Are you prone to back pain or do you think the standard seats are causing you to suffer?
I am only in my lower 40s. not prone! My Volvo gives me no problems or other cars. When I picked up the car in 06 for Euro delivery and would spend 10hours a day in the seat is where I started thinking lumbar support should of come with any seat in this car!

Maybe chronic back pain is in my future!???
Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
khaosai
AutoX

Hi,

i really like the colour choices.

As far as the interior goes i would suggest getting the steering wheel column done in leather. The only time you can get off with not doing it is when the interior colour is black, but thats just my opinion.

Another small subtle touch is the belt outlet B pillars in aluminium look.

The car comes with lots of aluminium look pieces so i have added to that by changing the trim on the steering wheel and the PCM to aluminium. I dont like the volcano grey standard colour they have on those parts. Same goes for the seat backs if you go for the adaptive seat choice.

I like the painted rockers but might be an idea to leave the front alone for cheap and easy replacement.

Always a good idea to ask for advice, but the dollar signs can mount up !.

Enjoy the car.

Rgds.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:42 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Well, you guys have succeeded. I am officially out of my initial price range. Oh well, it's only a little right?

I've decided, subject to a self-imposed cooling off period (like buying a handgun), to go with the PSE and full leather interior with Natural Brown on the Ruby Red C4S. The so called final options appear to be the following (but might be tweaked just a bit):

L2 Ruby Red Metallic $690.00
06 Brown Natural Leather $4,875.00
369 Standard Seats $0.00
342 Heated Seats $500.00
509 Fire Extinguisher $140.00
810 Floor Mats in Interior Color $140.00
267 Self Dimming Mirrors $385.00
680 BOSE High End Sound Package $1,390.00
CUV Storage Compartment Lid with Model Logo $295.00
DAA Interior Package A Pillar in Leather $740.00

XLF Sport Exhaust System $2,400.00
405 19" Carrera Classic Wheel $390.00
446 Wheel Caps with Colored Crest $185.00

I'm going to consider whether the A-Pillar Leather package is worth it--I'm really looking for the leather on the left and right exposed sides of the dash. We'll see if it makes the final cut.

I've also decided to go with the C Classic wheels. I think this is the safer bet and considering I need another set for winter, I will have a chance to get whatever I want once I have the car in front of me. The C Classics will be great, at least for winter use, to permit easy cleaning. I like that.

The electric seats are out. I hope I don't regret that, but the reality is that my wife won't be driving it ~that~ much, it's lighter, and cheaper. The seats in general might be swapped at a later date also, depending on how much tracking I decide to do.

I think the full leather in Natural Brown will really look great with the Ruby Red, so I'm excited about that.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Hauser_III
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to my salesperson and the ordering guru at my dealership, if you get full interior leather, that automatically comes with the A-pillars in leather, so you don't have to pay for the A-Pillar Leather Package. That's contrary to what some people have posted here. And it's also contrary to the car configurator on the Porsche site, which allows you to put both the full leather interior package and the A-pillar package on at the same time, without showing that they conflict with each other. Moreover, the Porsche site description of the full interior leather package says nothing about it including the A-pillars. My ordering guy said that's to allow for the pillars to be in a deviating color. I'm skeptical, but he's been ordering these things for years, and they know I want the pillars in leather, and if the car doesn't have leather on the A-pillars when it comes in, then there's going to be some explaining to do.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, Hauser.

The part of the "A-pillars" that I'm most concerned with is actually the flat, vertical side of the dashboard that is only seen when the door is open. That's the area that appears black in the configurator with the full leather interior option selected and appears covered when the A-pillar package is selected.

I too would love not to have to buy it and still have a nice complete look. Some of these selections, I have to admit, seem crazy--why isn't it done as part of a $5000 leather upgrade?

Jeff
Old 01-14-2008, 05:35 PM
dD/dt
Racer

I think the ruby red and natural brown will look stunning. That combo is actually #1 on my list for the upcoming 997.5 order. (Previous has been meteor grey/cocoa, dark olive/cocoa, cobalt/sand, white/cocoa, white/natural brown.)

Looking over the list, I guess I haven't made up my mind yet. Whatever, if you get this combo, post a lot of pics. Better yet, what part of Michigan are you in?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:00 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dD/dt
Whatever, if you get this combo, post a lot of pics. Better yet, what part of Michigan are you in?
Ahhh, I'm not in Michigan.

Old 01-14-2008, 10:24 PM
MartyB
Racer

I'm liking your revisions - not surprising, considering that aside from colors and wheels your option sheet sounds a LOT like mine. Ditch the A pillar and add the stainless illuminated entry guards for about the same price and we are really close.

Quick Reply: Now My Order - Comments Welcome