Sponsored by:

REVO Software Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:34 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default REVO Software Review

As a birthday present to myself I had REVO software loaded in to see if I would like it. I forget the actual settings, but we adjusted it to accommodate the headers, cats, and mufflers.

First impression was that the new throttle mapping was much nicer and smoother than stock. I always had this slight hesitation at say 2k and 3k RPM -- that's gone. It's crisper (quicker) than stock, but that only took a minute to get used to.

What I did not expect was the HP / TQ increase I received. I don't know if it's how the software always works, or if there's some multiplier (which the dealer suggested) with the AWE system. But wow, I just did not expect the boost. No dyno, but I know this car pretty intimately, and I know whether adjustments work or don't from years of tweaking the M3 and then the 997S. I thought of using the dyno, but couldn't justify $250 for curiosity's sake.

Off to Lime Rock Monday -- we'll see what TraqMate says...
Old 09-29-2007, 11:09 PM
camsoccer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the software?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:32 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Ron did you have the Revo chip done at Farnbacherloles? That's were I had mine done along with a dyno to make any further adjustments. Kip did it for me this spring and we got 380HP and about 330 FT/Lb on torque. When I had it done I noticed an immediate boost in power especially when I hit 3200 RPM's. The other thing I like is the increase in torque in lower RPM's. This is something that wasn't as noticeable befoe doing the upgrade. Well worth the modification.

Jay
Old 09-29-2007, 11:32 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Happy Birthday Ron!!!

I hope your butt dyno is right, guess you'll find out at LR.

Let us know what more you think of the "upgrade"..

Regards,
Deanski
Old 09-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
Ron did you have the Revo chip done at Farnbacherloles? That's were I had mine done along with a dyno to make any further adjustments. Kip did it for me this spring and we got 380HP and about 330 FT/Lb on torque. When I had it done I noticed an immediate boost in power especially when I hit 3200 RPM's. The other thing I like is the increase in torque in lower RPM's. This is something that wasn't as noticeable befoe doing the upgrade. Well worth the modification.

Jay
Do you know what the hp was to the wheels?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I called FBL and they don't do Revo any more -- just their own special blend. I considered it but just couldn't make the schedule work with them. I had it done ad Musante in South Windsor, CT's only remaining Revo dealer. Scheduled on Thursday for Friday install -- Much thanks to Chris Musante for fitting me in.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Wow, the car was actually scary fast at Lime Rock with the REVO software. I'm always flat from the apex at the end of the Esses until the braking point for the uphill and with the software I actually had to ease off at the uneven pavement short of the braking point. I also ended up in a drag race with a 997 GT3 for a few laps when he thought he would pull away from me on the main and back straights and lose me, but that wasn't the case. I'd close in on the turns, and then be on his bumper on the straights. His 400 HP was probably an exact match for my 355 + AWE system + Revo software (that's all I've done). Lap times were in the 1:02s consistently once I started getting used to the speed easily a 1:01 car with a little more seat time (only my 3rd DE at LRP in a Porsche).

What a hoot!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:19 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Nice to hear you liked the Revo package Ron. As I've said before I immediately noticed a decided difference from day one when I had the Revo upgrade. Glad you enjoyed. Good luck on future DE events.

Jay
Old 10-03-2007, 09:41 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Dang it Ron...I wish you said it made zero difference and you were going back to stock!

Because I will be going to a new car for the 09 model year when DSG/PDK is coming out I am not doing any mode for the next year...but....when I dream car is available all bets are off!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:56 PM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 424 Likes on 276 Posts

Ron,
I am sure you thought about different options, so did you hear revo was better than giac? What about cost?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:19 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

I considered several packages and had heard many good things about Revo, it was available, and the price was good ($899 and I received a $100 credit for future work -- I'll use that up on my oil / brake fluid change -- so net $799 for the software).

I was looking at some TraqMate files of before and after -- comparing a 1:03 (pre) and 1:02 (post Revo) and what was really interesting is watching as I out-accelerate with the software. Both dots are relative to each other, but on the straights you can clearly see the Revo car pulling away from the stock one. There's absolutely nothing else that would account for it.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Sweet!!!

Wish I got to the track to check out all the new goodies, but business came first

Glad to hear it's working well and worth it.

Deanski
Old 10-04-2007, 08:36 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting review, Ron. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by DJ23

Jay
An amazing gain for just a chip on a NA engine...do you have any other mods and what were the dyno readings before the chip?
thx
Old 10-04-2007, 09:53 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Great review. Any idea how it affects warranty?

Quick Reply: REVO Software Review