Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Great Debate: PC vs MAC - been going on for awhile

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,12...1/article.html
Old 02-13-2007, 07:10 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sids911
For me, the OSX is too ... girly/candy-looking - but that's my own feeling.
Wuss = girly looking.

Yeah, something like this.

Old 02-13-2007, 07:22 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
I sometimes can't tell if you're dense, or if you just act stupid to cause an argument. I tend to think a lot of the latter, but I could be wrong.

There are a couple of guys who sit down the hall in marketing. I don't know them. However, I'm confident I know more about security than they do. Knowing someone has no bearing on relative levels of knowledge.

The fact is we dissect Cisco code and find security vulnerabilities. We've discovered some of their biggest holes. They have yet to find a vulnerability in anyone else's code. They are a network hardware vendor, they are not a security vendor. We are a security vendor, not a network hardware vendor.

So, we all can assume that you DO NOT know 99% of Cisco's employees? If "knowing someone has no bearing on relative levels af knowledge", then why did you try to convince us you knew all these people??

So, you claim that Cisco is "not a security vender" in addition to a network vender. Now, you have convinced me that you have absolutley no idea what you are talking about. First the claim you know most of the Cisco employees and now claiming that Cisco does not provide network security products and services.

You seem to be trying hard to be convincing of your knowledge of networking and security by throwing out all these claims, yet your claims keep coming up false. I wonder why?

If, in fact, Cisco is a customer of yours, you should get to know what they do.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So, we all can assume that you DO NOT know 99% of Cisco's employees?
C'mon, surely you understood him when he said that he probably knows more than 99% of them know.

Now you're being absurd, perhaps something more in his eyes.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:50 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 500
I am buying a new notebook and was told by Dell that all the Inspiron's are now coming with Vista(XP is no longer an option) so I'm a bit skeptical since 1) it's Microsoft and 2) so new.
Thoughts are most welcome.
Definitely go with Vista. I've been using it on my Toshiba laptop the past four months or so without any problems. Just make sure from the hardware vendor's support website that they have solid driver support. You do need to have at least 1 GB RAM and good video, but it is sweet. Better security features, better search, Windows Aero is neat too.

Sorry to disappoint all the haters out there and those that have taken this thread to new lows. All the original poster asked was if Vista was any good...
Old 02-13-2007, 08:00 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

It's not really that new. As CNET said It's just a "warmed-over" version of XP.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:56 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

If you 'need' to use aspects of both PCs and Macs, it's a no brainer, buy a Mac.
Our new Mac Pro powerbooks run Mac OS and Windows XP at the same lightning fast speeds - you simply boot up one or the other by holding down the option key.
My wife finds this useful because she uses certain stats programs that are only available for PC (and extraordinarily antiquated I might add).
Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw this sometime back and thought it might be apt for this discussion.

Top 5 sexy mac/apple videos
Old 02-13-2007, 10:40 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Wow, a mac vs Window debate on a Porsche forum... 8 pages tooo!!!! I used both and don't know who to vote for. Both are great... It's like comparing Porsche to Fat-la-lay......Wouldn't jump on to Vista so soon, wait 6 months for most vendor to catch up on their driver support. Get a Mac and do duo boot thru Bootcamp. Same speed on either side For wow factor!!! Get a Mac laptop. Bring it to a meeting and you will get the same debate right on the spot. LOL!!! FYI, the geeks at JPL/NASA is planning to upgrade their to Mac platform. More flexibilties..UNIX,LINUX,OSX and Windows in one.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 PM
MyEmily
Racer

Thx Sid!!!! Finally saw the link to Reon dance w/ the Ipod...
Old 02-13-2007, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by ag-Z06
Definitely go with Vista. I've been using it on my Toshiba laptop the past four months or so without any problems. Just make sure from the hardware vendor's support website that they have solid driver support. You do need to have at least 1 GB RAM and good video, but it is sweet. Better security features, better search, Windows Aero is neat too.

Sorry to disappoint all the haters out there and those that have taken this thread to new lows. All the original poster asked was if Vista was any good...
Thanks for the feedback
Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by ag-Z06
Sorry to disappoint all the haters out there and those that have taken this thread to new lows....
You're still a noob, this is by no means a new low. Stick around, those threads come around every now and then.

The guys here have been very genteel compared to those Z06 vs 911 flame threads. .... Now those have set new standards in the low rider category.

Btw, thanks for answering Mr. Hp's question.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all seriousness 500 - why not ditch the Dell - buy a Mac Book pro, and load up boot-camp and a copy of XP and SP2 (Vista later if you want)?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

You get a screaming fast laptop, and all the OS you could want - you can choose OSX or XP on boot, and obviously load Vista later once it has stabilized.

Interesting example of what you get Vs Dell here:

http://www.systemshootouts.org/shoot...24_lt2800.html

Why buy the Dell platform now and limit your options?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 AM
OCBen
Banned

One thing about Mac zealots is that they're worse than Jehovah's Witnesses.

But none of them would be around today if not for a fateful decision by Billy G that kept the Mac alive.

Some of you may remember that Microsoft was considering dropping altogether development of software for the Mac, namely, MS Office. Microsoft considered the market numbers for the Mac OS too small to make it worthwhile for them, and this tiny market obviously didn't generate the kind of profits they were used to.

This was shortly after 1996 when Jobs came back to Apple as interim CEO. I believe he personally contacted Billy G. and promised him that he intended to build up sales of Macs and worked out an agreement that Microsoft made public in a major press conference announcing that they would continue to support the Mac OS by continuing to develop MS Office for it. The thinking for Microsoft was that it could turn out to be profitable for them in the long run if they hang in there and continue to support the Mac OS.

If Billy G. had truly been a visionary, he would have deliberately stopped developing software for the Mac, ostensibly because of the small market, but strategically for a much bigger reason.

Gil Amelio, then CEO of Apple, was considering proposing the sale of Apple to an interested Arab buyer before the stock plummeted any lower than the record lows it was experiencing. It was to be either split up and sold off, or sold outright to this Arab buyer with deep pockets. No American buyers were interested, as it seemed that Apple was on its way to extinction just like the Commodore computer before it. The cover headline on BusinessWeek read: Death Knell for Apple?

It was Billy G's greed that kept him from making that decision, as he saw a potential revenue stream with MS Office for Mac. If he had dropped support for the Mac, Apple would have likely dropped off the radar screen altogether and into the dustbin of history.

Those who had been using Macs for business would have bought PCs instead to run MS Office and other business applications. And Billy G. would have had them as customers for Windows OS as well as MS Office in the long run after all.

And the discussions in forums like this would have been: Remember when there was this quaint company that built computers and the operating system as well.....

Incidentally, Texas911, that's why your analogy is not valid. Cars are designed to just run. ... Computers are designed to run software. ... If no one builds software for your computer, all your computer does is run up your electric bill.

Last edited by OCBen; 02-14-2007 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Added the BusinessWeek reference.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:03 AM
MyEmily
Racer

OC, I have to disagree w/ you on Billy G saving the Mac. What kept mac alive was the graphic industry. The mac was a niche market puter w/ great Graphic Design capabiliies ie Adobe Pagemaker and other graphic based softwares. Billy G was just lucky and resourceful enough to create Window 3.11 etc...Can go on debating Mac vs Window. This J witness use both and love it. My opinion on Vista is to wait until Second release before switching over. My other suggestion is to get a HP instead of Dell. Support from India is sometime hard to understand.

Quick Reply: OT Anyone here using Windows Vista yet?