Sponsored by:

OT Anyone here using Windows Vista yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 11:17 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
So how long did it take you to meet the 38,000 Cisco employees? If you met 20 a day, 7 days a week, it would take you more than 5 years to meet that many people. Not to mention the thousands of people that come and go each year. You would not be exaggerating a bit, would you?
He's actually John Chambers incognito, and he's using reverse psychology to sell Cisco to all of us.....

Either that or he's full of BS
Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
I dont know jack squat about PCs, that is why I own a Mac. USER-FRIENDLINESS! I dont have to know how every aspect of the computer works. I have Microsoft Office on my Mac and I can do anything anyone else does on a PC. How can anyone sit there and defend PCs when they give everyone in the world frustration? I dont get it, Oh yeah, yes I do, it is like the battered woman syndrome, you just keep coming back. At work, PCs driving me to
You opened yourself up wide with that one.

It's kinda like choosing to drive a TIP rather than a 6 speed in a sports car. If you're looking for ease of operation but willing to sacrafice performance, yet still have the "bling" then the MAC operating system is for you. For those that want more compatability and performance, choose Windows XP Pro.

Sorry, but I could not resist.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

So how long did it take you to meet the 38,000 Cisco employees? If you met 20 a day, 7 days a week, it would take you more than 5 years to meet that many people. Not to mention the thousands of people that come and go each year. You would not be exaggerating a bit, would you?
Why would I need to meet them? The % of employees at Cisco who write code is relatively small. They are the small minority who have a slight clue about how security work. However, we dissect their code and find issues they obviously miss - design issues, not typographical ones. And we instruct them on how to fix their mistakes.

So how's my math now?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:30 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Why would I need to meet them? The % of employees at Cisco who write code is relatively small. They are the small minority who have a slight clue about how security work. However, we dissect their code and find issues they obviously miss - design issues, not typographical ones. And we instruct them on how to fix their mistakes.

So how's my math now?
He is John Chambers!

John, sorry 'gravedgr', thank you for visiting us here on the forum with your security wisdom.

I'll let you into a little secret - 1999Porsche911 is really George Bush, and I'm the Sultan of Oman.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:31 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr

So how's my math now?
So you lied to us? You said "I know more than 99% of the people working at Cisco". Backtracking is exhausting, isn't it?

BTW: You don't even know 99% of the code writers at CSCO, as they are NOT a small percentage of the workforce.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You opened yourself up wide with that one.

It's kinda like choosing to drive a TIP rather than a 6 speed in a sports car. If you're looking for ease of operation but willing to sacrafice performance, yet still have the "bling" then the MAC operating system is for you. For those that want more compatability and performance, choose Windows XP Pro.

Sorry, but I could not resist.
OMG, there is a trend between the tranny of my car and the computer I use. I doubt it, this is my first auto out of about 12 cars, I am very proficient with the manuals. Anyways, back to the topic.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....It's kinda like choosing to drive a TIP rather than a 6 speed in a sports car. If you're looking for ease of operation but willing to sacrafice performance, yet still have the "bling" then the MAC operating system is for you. For those that want more compatability and performance, choose Windows XP Pro.

I think a better analogy is that people who choose to drive the 6-speed would prefer a typewriter over a computer.......
Old 02-13-2007, 03:34 PM
jerryrice
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only people I know that use MAC's are clueless about computers, hardware , operating systems, security, and especially Porsches , ( (hope someone falls for the bait , so this meaningless thread can keep going )
Old 02-13-2007, 03:56 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will try and attempt to predict the future:

Mac, in particular OS X will help make "Linux on the Desktop" a reality. Macs are already running a flavor of BSD (I know not Linux but Unix) based on the Mach BSD kernel.

I've always been a Unix/Linux guy but always had a soft spot for Macs, actually had a Mac back in the early nineties a cute cuddly little Mac SE30.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Yeah, I mean Apple's stock price has only climbed 1,025% since Jan. 1, 2001 when Jobs came back.
I can see the city being disappointed with that, and the growth of the market value to $72 Billion.
Do you really think you can just chuck those idiotic comments out there and expect to get away with it?
I guess you did - speaks volumes.
came back?
what about when he was there b/f and got s*%# canned from his own company?
you think all the growth was due to jobs?
the price of a stock isnt always an indicator of the job a ceo is doing other than pr and what creative accounting it's showing the public.
companies like enron and healthsouth have shown how reliable that can be.
isnt job's currently involved in some type of accounting scandal being investigated?
i've heard of job's doing much goofier stuff than what ballmer did in the vid.

your basic argument is "buy our product b/c it's not nearly as popular so hackers don't f%#& w/ it.
great reason.
we're supposed to all believe you are some type of software security expert w/o knowing your experience?
when did, and how come apple started resorting to using security as their selling point?
it used to be that the software was superior.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:59 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

came back? Yes, 2nd comings are much anticipated
what about when he was there b/f and got s*%# canned from his own company? I'm sure he deserved it, Apple was in the toilet back then
you think all the growth was due to jobs? Now I never said that did I - however, he has proved to be a very effective and charismatic CEO - he stole all the thunder from CES this year, with just one press conf.
the price of a stock isnt always an indicator of the job a ceo is doing other than pr and what creative accounting it's showing the public. That's right, it's all smoke and mirrors, and Apple and Job's haven't done anything positive since 2001
companies like enron and healthsouth have shown how reliable that can be. Are you dillusional - Apple is like Enron? Grow up and take the numbers like a man.
isnt job's currently involved in some type of accounting scandal being investigated? That's right, it's just like Enron as you said.. Damn Apple people must be cheating somehow!
Like dressing in sweat free clothes, behaving like a civilized CEO, not screaming and chanting like a child
your basic argument is "buy our product b/c it's not nearly as popular so hackers don't f%#& w/ it. No - please don't buy Apple products, the Apple community is better without you!
great reason. That's your reasoning, not mine - are you seven years old or something? GROW UP!
we're supposed to all believe you are some type of software security expert w/o knowing your experience? Believe what you like
when did, and how come apple started resorting to using security as their selling point? When they switched to OSX - I think it's point number four in a long list of why Apple products are better than MS
it used to be that the software was superior. It still is
Old 02-13-2007, 05:29 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
came back? Yes, 2nd comings are much anticipated
what about when he was there b/f and got s*%# canned from his own company? I'm sure he deserved it, Apple was in the toilet back then
you think all the growth was due to jobs? Now I never said that did I - however, he has proved to be a very effective and charismatic CEO - he stole all the thunder from CES this year, with just one press conf.
the price of a stock isnt always an indicator of the job a ceo is doing other than pr and what creative accounting it's showing the public. That's right, it's all smoke and mirrors, and Apple and Job's haven't done anything positive since 2001
companies like enron and healthsouth have shown how reliable that can be. Are you dillusional - Apple is like Enron? Grow up and take the numbers like a man.
isnt job's currently involved in some type of accounting scandal being investigated? That's right, it's just like Enron as you said.. Damn Apple people must be cheating somehow!
Like dressing in sweat free clothes, behaving like a civilized CEO, not screaming and chanting like a child
your basic argument is "buy our product b/c it's not nearly as popular so hackers don't f%#& w/ it. No - please don't buy Apple products, the Apple community is better without you!
great reason. That's your reasoning, not mine - are you seven years old or something? GROW UP!
we're supposed to all believe you are some type of software security expert w/o knowing your experience? Believe what you like
when did, and how come apple started resorting to using security as their selling point? When they switched to OSX - I think it's point number four in a long list of why Apple products are better than MS
it used to be that the software was superior. It still is
constructive and very well thought out!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:37 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by icon
constructive and very well thought out!
Thanks, I felt I should set you a higher standard to aim for

Best of luck!
Old 02-13-2007, 05:40 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, this mac vs PC is getting religious here !! Why don't you just pick what you want ?

Do you people peek over the mens urinals and tell others "dude, you should take a leak the RIGHT way, the way I do it." ?? No, right (at least I'm hoping a "no")? You just mind you own business and let others do the same? Live and let live ...

OP, you could go vista ... irrespective of all the hype ("oh, look, vista copied OSX") just pick it up if you don't mind it.

Now look, Xerox was the first with a GUI, Mac OSX was first with a vectorized GUI, but vista is the first one with a 3D gui that actually works great. For me, the OSX is too ... girly/candy-looking - but that's my own feeling. I'm glad there are options so each can choose their own.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:34 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

So you lied to us? You said "I know more than 99% of the people working at Cisco". Backtracking is exhausting, isn't it?

BTW: You don't even know 99% of the code writers at CSCO, as they are NOT a small percentage of the workforce.
I sometimes can't tell if you're dense, or if you just act stupid to cause an argument. I tend to think a lot of the latter, but I could be wrong.

There are a couple of guys who sit down the hall in marketing. I don't know them. However, I'm confident I know more about security than they do. Knowing someone has no bearing on relative levels of knowledge.

The fact is we dissect Cisco code and find security vulnerabilities. We've discovered some of their biggest holes. They have yet to find a vulnerability in anyone else's code. They are a network hardware vendor, they are not a security vendor. We are a security vendor, not a network hardware vendor.

Quick Reply: OT Anyone here using Windows Vista yet?