Sponsored by:

OT Anyone here using Windows Vista yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 07:20 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clown Pedro
I didn't know what bootcamp was so i searched it up and seems like its just an install of windows on your HD that you choose to load up. I fail to see how this is anything special as your still just running those programs on a copy of windows. As for parallels i prefer to run programs a little faster than a slug's pace. The reason i prefer windows isn't just because of the software i have also had some bad experience with macs.

I also have to say the one mouse button drives me crazy, especially when mac people try to justify it.
You can enjoy the significant benefits (including security) of running Mac OSX as your daily OS, but still run a full version of Windows for those apps not ported to Mac.

It allows you to run both OS's with one platform - very popular with researchers in Bio-tech, and NASA for example.

As for the mouse, you can choose one or two button, both work just fine.

http://www.apple.com/mightymouse

Again, it's all about not limiting your choices because of the platform you choose.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Go with what you are more comfortable using, but don't get sucked into believeing that a MAC is more secure on the web than a properly setup Window's system.
Macs are only exposed to 0.04% of security vulnerabilities currently, and are not effected by any of the top 100 exploits which cause 99% of the issues on Windows systems.

If you take that to mean that Windows is as secure as OSX, then best of luck to you!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:44 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
You can enjoy the significant benefits (including security) of running Mac OSX as your daily OS, but still run a full version of Windows for those apps not ported to Mac.
It allows you to run both OS's with one platform - very popular with researchers in Bio-tech, and NASA for example.
Again, it's all about not limiting your choices because of the platform you choose.
would this not open you up to all the viruses you speak of?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:51 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by icon
would this not open you up to all the viruses you speak of?
Yeh, bummer that!

But you can always flick over to OSX and keep on working, the Windows exploits do not touch the OSX partition.

If you use parallels, you can install multiple iterations of your Windows OS, and just wipe the one that's become infected.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:21 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeh, bummer that!

But you can always flick over to OSX and keep on working, the Windows exploits do not touch the OSX partition.

If you use parallels, you can install multiple iterations of your Windows OS, and just wipe the one that's become infected.
You obviously are not familiar with XP as with 3 clicks of the mouse, you can put your software and registry back to a previous date anytime you want. So in fact, even if you are infected, it doesn't matter. You also don't have to sign on as an administrator and most viruses can't do a thing to your computer, even it you let them in.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:34 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You obviously are not familiar with XP as with 3 clicks of the mouse, you can put your software and registry back to a previous date anytime you want. So in fact, even if you are infected, it doesn't matter. You also don't have to sign on as an administrator and most viruses can't do a thing to your computer, even it you let them in.
I have XP on my work laptop. (Dell)

I've seen XP boot on power-up with malware on board, and completely trash the hard drive.

No recovery possible.

Three clicks means **** at that point.

And that's with my IT department doing the service packs, patches, updates, firewalls etc.

Of course, they're probably just not up to your standard - but that's been my experience.

Blue screen O'death
Old 02-14-2007, 10:03 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
You're still a noob, this is by no means a new low. Stick around, those threads come around every now and then.
I've actually been around awhile, just not a post *****. Also, though I've been around Porsches for the last 33 years or so (I'm only 36) and the last one I owned was a 951 about 9 years ago, I am still a Porsche nut. Hey, the Carolinas Region PCA folks know me as I've instructed for their DE's the past year or so, despite my driving a Z06 (sold in October).

Btw, thanks for answering Mr. Hp's question.
Ain't no thang!

I'll be a Porsche owner within the next 6 months or so. Have a new baby in the house, so had to put cars on hold for a little while... I'll be sure to post pics of the car when I finally get her - really want a 997S!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:27 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

the “bailout” money was a good guesture call on Microsofts part, mainly because (in 1997) without Apple, MS would have been considered a monopoly, and would have been forced to split the company. Bill was smarter than you give him credit for.
Nope, you're wrong there.

The legal case against Microsoft led by Janet Reno was not because MS was becoming a monopoly, which, by the way, is not in and of itself illegal by any means.

The case against Microsoft was quite simple, really. The gov't alleged that since MS was the developer of the Operating System used by nearly 95% of the world's computers, and that since this OS was not an open system but closed to outside software developers [true], Microsoft had an unfair advantage in developing software that runs on its operating system since they alone were privy to the workings of the OS and could work on new software for new releases of its OS ahead of the official release and ahead of the competition [true], thus giving them an unfair advantage.

The gov't wanted to split MS into two main divisions. The OS Division (Windows etc.). And the Software Applications Division (MS Office, etc.) which would not be allowed to know ahead of the competition when a new release of the OS was available until everybody else knew.

That was the legal case against Microsoft. Providing MS Office for the Mac did nothing to mitigate that, and never factored into Billy G's decision.

I used to be an advocate for Apple, believe it or not. In B-School we studied the decline of businesses and why businesses failed. Our professor challenged us to come up with a business plan for saving Apple if we were brought in as the CEO in charge of turning them around.

My thesis centered on the core competency of Apple, which was its ability to design innovative hardware and architecture. I recommended that they dump their Mac OS and focus instead on building an innovative platform to run Windows OS. The Mac OS was an anchor and a dead weight that was holding the company back, since very few developers were willing to write software for Mac OS and selection was limited (a problem still to this day). And once they were no longer encumbered by their OS, they could now compete on the basis of hardware design and performance, which was after all their core competency.

The era of the old paradigm - the computer and the OS manufacturer being one and the same - died when the Commodore and the Atari computers died. The new paradigm was the way of the PC - machine and OS separate - and Apple needed to fall in step with this new era if they wanted to survive.

I recommended that they focus on sleek designs so as not to compete with the plain boxes of Gateway and Dell computers, who would eat them alive if they did. They would be a niche player, catering to those who wanted high end innovative products and were willing to pay a premium for them.

That was over ten years ago. And now it seems like Apple has finally realized what they do best. Witness the i-pod and other innovative products that have proved successful for them.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:46 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Interesting what Bill and the execs had to say at the time:

http://news.com.com/MS+to+invest+150..._3-202143.html

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said today that the software giant will invest $150 million in Apple and will develop and ship future versions of its Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, and development tools for the Macintosh.

Gates, who appeared via satellite link, and Apple director Steve Jobs made the announcement here today at the Macworld Expo trade show.

Both Apple and Microsoft executives denied that the Microsoft investment represents a path to converging the companies' operating systems. However, they said they had agreed to work out a settlement to a long-standing dispute over whether Microsoft's Windows operating system infringes on any of Apple's patents.
Wikipedia appears to back that up:

Apple v. Microsoft, Intel, and San Francisco Canyon Company

In 1995 Apple added Microsoft and Intel to an existing lawsuit against the San Francisco Canyon Company, alledging that Microsoft and Intel knowingly used the software company to aid them in stealing several thousand lines of Apple's QuickTime code in an effort to improve the performance of Video for Windows.

After a threat to withdraw support for Office for Mac, this lawsuit was ultimately settled in 1997, along with all lingering issues from the "Look & Feel" lawsuit. Apple agreed to make Internet Explorer the default browser over Netscape, and Microsoft agreed to continue developing Office and other software for the Mac for the next 5 years, and purchase $150 million of non-voting Apple stock.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notable...d_feel.22_suit

So we were both off a little - it was at least in part a settlement for the look and feel case.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:43 AM

Talking

Nope, you're wrong there.

The legal case against Microsoft led by Janet Reno .
Janet Reno, I remember her, Chelsea Clinton's Father....

Last edited by 500; 02-15-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 AM
OCBen
Banned

So we were both off a little - it was at least in part a settlement for the look and feel case.
Nope, I was not off at all. You're confusing the legal cases, of which there were many.

You had brought up the monopoly legal case, remember?

And that case was the case of United States v. Microsoft, which I was specifically addressing to show you that Gates was not motivated by fear of legal action based on monopology charges to continue to support Mac OS.

The "look and feel" lawsuits were baseless, as Apple had in turn copied the GUI interface of Xerox. I hope you realize that.

The agreement was based on packaging IE along with MS Office that made it a deal, as your quote there shows. MS was bent on making IE the one and only viable browser.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:11 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

Nope, I was not off at all. You're confusing the legal cases, of which there were many.

You had brought up the monopoly legal case, remember?

And that case was the case of United States v. Microsoft, which I was specifically addressing to show you that Gates was not motivated by fear of legal action based on monopology charges to continue to support Mac OS.

The "look and feel" lawsuits were baseless, as Apple had in turn copied the GUI interface of Xerox. I hope you realize that.

The agreement was based on packaging IE along with MS Office that made it a deal, as your quote there shows. MS was bent on making IE the one and only viable browser.
Ben, as ever you fly in the face of the evidence - Both the PC press at the time, and wikipedia disagree with you.

That's why I posted the links and quotes.

I didn't add the pieces about the look and feel case, they had that in there already.

But if you want to rewrite history, go ahead.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 AM
OCBen
Banned

Ben, as ever you fly in the face of the evidence - Both the PC press at the time, and wikipedia disagree with you...But if you want to rewrite history, go ahead.

Now you're being completely and utterly absurd.

Anyway, we've pretty much

..... check please!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:40 AM
cdodkin
Drifting

No Ben - please let me get the check - It's the least I can do for all the stress I've put you through

Old 02-15-2007, 01:44 AM
OCBen
Banned

No Ben - please let me get the check - It's the least I can do for all the stress I've put you through

LOL

I said I'll get the check, and that's that!

Yeah, you wanna do something about it, huh, huh?

C'mon, put 'em up....put 'em up.

Quick Reply: OT Anyone here using Windows Vista yet?