K40 passed first laser test

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 10:08 AM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K40 passed first laser test

Wanted to post after my first laser encounter and after 1,100 miles I finally have an opportunity. Had the K40 Calibre w/ bluetooth installed at dealer front/rear radar in conjunction with Lidatek laser difuser front/rear. I have posted previously comparing the various detector options and how satisfied I am so far with the total stealth of the install and the early radar capabilities (most notably the lack of false alerts). Having had 2 laser tickets in past 4 yrs both while using my trusted Passport 8500, I knew a rader detector without a laser difuser was a waste of money, at least around CT and NY roads I frequent. Was visiting a friends aprox 70 miles away (my longest trip yet) and had to travel rt84 from CT border to Taconic Pkwy and then 30 miles North up the Parkway. A notoriously well patrolled route for anyone that knows the area roads. I saw total of 6 NY state troopers round trip, 4 of them already had pulled over cars on the Taconic and it was on my way home in fading light conditions that my laser difuser saved me. Since this was my longest trip I was using the opportunity to stretch her legs a bit and was frequently cruising in the 80-90mph range(in extremely light trafffic) on the rt84. Coming down a long gradual hill doing aprox 80-85mph, the laser alarms went off. This includes a loud audible alert as well as a red flashing light. The nice thing about the flashing light is it's completely seperate from the two small LEDs mounting on either side of the Tach. The light is mounted inside the dome light above the mirror. It's in no way a distraction when it's operating normally as it's a dull green glow. But it flashes red on a laser hit so u know immediately the it's not a radar signal and hitting the brakes is first reaction. For the next 5 seconds it confuses the laser gun's signal allowing you to slow down and then even though the warning light is still solid red it allows the trooper to get a clean speed reading. I estimate he tagged me a aprox 1/4 mile away and he was in the woods with no lights on facing oncoming traffic leaning out of his window with the gun. It was close to dark and there was no way I would been able to see him first. As I said it was light traffic so one of the best ways to detect presence of a speed trap, break lights from other cars, was not applicable in this situation. Anyways, wanted to post a real world example of the system in use and there is no doubt I was saved getting a speeding ticket in this example. ps I am enjoying the power and handling of this car more every time I drive it and I cannot wait till I get thru the break-in period.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A 70 mile trip....you gotta get out more.
Long runs are better durring the break-in period than little bitty short runs

I've had my new car for 20 days now and have logged 800+ miles.
I'll go out and do a 100+ drive to nowhere before breakfast.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good report - with a couple of laser hits on my traffic record now, I know my V-1 alone can't get it done. In an act of sheer desperation, I actually drive the speed limit on occasion. My car hates me for that.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Steven_H
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 39 Posts

Who did the install?
Old 01-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Great post. Glad to hear it works.

I have the K40 with their own laser difuser. Laser hasn't went off yet, but radar detector has saved me more than a few times.

But, you do need to get out more. My longest RT is 1,200 miles over 4 days. The car loved it!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 PM
awilks
Addict
Rennlist Member

Steven H...the car was purchased from New Country in Greenwich but I think they have someone else local do the install. I thought it might a local installer (Cars) in Greenwich that does a lot of high-end work, but I actually stopped by to ask them about window tinting and it wasn't them. Eric at Cars is a good guy to work with and I reccomend them for anyone in area as they do sell K40's. They are on Post Rd just North of exit 5. I will ask the dealer who they use. The nice thing about the Lidatek laser units is they are very small and with no front plate u have to look hard to actually see the front one under bumper cut into the black material just below the painted bumper. The rear is same small size mounted into rear plate cut-out in top middle. For anyone that has seen the older large K40 laser units attached to front or rear license plates which are very noticable, the Lidatek's are big improvement esthetically. My commute to NYC keeps me from the car during the week, and our 8mo daughter manages to keep me happily entertained for large part of the weekends so for now my trips are too short!
Old 01-21-2007, 12:53 PM
bonesmd
Intermediate

I am interested in your K40 install,particularly placement of the LEDs.How do they look?Would you do anything different? Could you post a picture?THANKS
Old 01-21-2007, 02:46 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go. (Top pic shows K40 laser diffuser below license plate and bottom pic shows dash mounted LEDs):

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=11
Old 01-21-2007, 03:02 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tedder Bear
Great post. Glad to hear it works.

I have the K40 with their own laser difuser. Laser hasn't went off yet, but radar detector has saved me more than a few times.

Same, I'm more than pleased with the K40 too, excellent!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have the k40 and two times it has saved me on RT. 84 in CT. Tough road that you have to keep your eyes out for.

Jay
Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Einstein
Instructor

that almost sounds like a radar jammer. is it ilegal in some states?

also I looked at their website and its $899.00 for the system? does that include install?

also, would it be easy for thief to steal the sensors?
Old 01-22-2007, 02:48 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an optional laser diffuser which is illegal in a few states such as Illinois. However the basic system is a radar and laser detector (which is illegal in 1 or 2 states only). The sensors are hidden under the front and back bumpers and I've never seen them. You would have to get under the car to see them.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Rich.
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

great write up! We use Performance specialties in Stamford CT. They have been very good to us and like wise to them. I highly recommend anything those guys recommend!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:27 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Thanks for the write up...I just ordered it!
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Great wrire-up there Andy!!

Great things these K-40's!! I'm not too sure I have the laser LED, but do have the two blue LED's for front/rear.

Yep, 84 is one great place for troopers to hide. Rt8 is another. I really think between spring and summer, they know the Lime Rock schedule and then find a nice place to hide for someone to go whipping by them with the laser gun on.

Be very careful...Last attempt of being snagged... On the Merrit, they sometimes get into highway orange maintenance trucks or pick-ups with the laser gun and as soon as you go by, there's a half dozen troopers to flag you down to pull over to the side of the road. If not, they have several chase cars. VERY SNEEKY if you ask me!!

I'm up past 7000 miles... you need more time in that thing!!!!

Hope to see you at PCA Tech Tactics at FBL!!!

Regards,
Deanski

Quick Reply: K40 passed first laser test