Sponsored by:

PDE: Why it rocks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:21 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default PDE: Why it rocks...

Let me first give you some background.... We have a new track in Utah, which forced me to break the piggy bank and purchase a 996 GT3 this past July strictly for DE. The next step is to learn how to drive on the track - not just racing cars at traffic lights, or slaloming traffic on the interstate - but driving well! After searching Renn for numerious years, I decided that driving in a 997 at track speeds would be a great introduction. More importantly, I could "make mistakes" in someone else's car and take that knowledge to my own. SO, I attended the introductory two-day PDE on Sep 7&8, and it completely exceeded my expectations.

Where do I begin? Well, let me just say that the whole progression through the course was well thought out. I was able to:
*drive a 997 on a skidpad with 1/2in of water, racing against the clock as we completed numerous craxy 8s around cones.
*drive both a Boxster and Boxster S against the clock on an autocross layout
*drive a Cayman S through cones to learn car control and heel-n-toe
*drive a 997 on the racetrack, shadowing the instructor with two other students (4 car train) for 100s of miles
*drive a 997S with PCCBs on that same racetrack, learning that PCCBs are truly amazing!
*take two "hot laps" at the end of the course with an instructor on the track in a 997S at their comfort level (i.e. much faster that we were doing in the class)
*Almost forgot - I was able to drive a Cayenne S off road. Quite a capable vehicle!

All in all, I learned the following:
*I had no idea how to brake until I took this class. The word HARD has new meaning.
*I now fully appreciate the need to keep the car balanced - at all times!
*I now know that driving 100mph on the track and sitting in the passenger seat at 100mph are two completely different things! During the hotlap with the instructor, I asked him to take one lap at the fastest speed that I had been at when driving. That scared the hell out of me! (Note: scary = adrenaline rush = I want to do it over and over again until I puke!)
*Heel-n-toe makes sense, but is damn hard!
*These instructors really know how to drive, and they are really good educators. (I spent one lunch picking Doc Bundy's brain about the syncros in 911s - In short, he taught me some tricks to make shifting a 911 easier)

In closing, this is the *perfect* introduction to high performance driving. I highly recommend that you take this class BEFORE attempting to DE. The instruction is gradual and palatable over the two days, and completely prepared me for my first DE last Saturday. I also have tremendous respect for the Cayman S and Boxster S, and want one just for autocross events! And yes, I am going to sign up for the "Masters" course next spring...

All in all, it was a first class event. I highly recommend it.

-B
Old 09-26-2006, 05:04 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the post. I will be attending in December and looking forward to it.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

If you ever decide to sell your Speedster, keep me in mind.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This is terrific advice. So many write in here about how they can speed up their cars by changing this and that. The biggest change needs to be done with the driver. Most of us will never come even CLOSE to getting the maximum protential out of our cars. (Our scare-threshold is comparatively low). :-)
Old 09-26-2006, 09:10 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm so glad that you posted about your PDE experience!
PDE is truly a GREAT! well run event and the instructors REALLY know the hows and whys of driving, not to mention the racing credentials that they have.
Doc Bundy is a great instructor!

I'm in Birmingham right now to attend another Masters class Thurs/Fri.

You need to consider doing the Masters!!! Well worth your time.

Driving IS all about "seat time".
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I went last month and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm going back in the Spring for round 2.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2006, 09:56 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This is terrific advice. So many write in here about how they can speed up their cars by changing this and that. The biggest change needs to be done with the driver. Most of us will never come even CLOSE to getting the maximum protential out of our cars. (Our scare-threshold is comparatively low). :-)
80% of Porsche owners never see 50% of it's capabilities...
Sad but true
Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Awesome well laied out post..thanks! I am trying to talk my wife into buying me the PDE as a Christmas gift...I told her that is all I want!
Old 09-27-2006, 03:18 AM
lazlo9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Awesome well laied out post..thanks! I am trying to talk my wife into buying me the PDE as a Christmas gift...I told her that is all I want!
great idea! I will too
Old 09-27-2006, 08:15 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am trying to talk my wife into buying me the PDE as a Christmas gift...I told her that is all I want!
And if she doesn't ?
What are you gonna do....not go?

Bite the bullet, sign-up and go

Old 09-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
And if she doesn't ?
What are you gonna do....not go?

Bite the bullet, sign-up and go

That's what I did
Old 09-27-2006, 03:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Sounds like you had a great experience.
It's definitely on my list of places to go...now if I can just make the time (so to speak).
Old 09-27-2006, 04:14 PM
fjpdds
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 14 Posts

Really nice write up. Talked me into it. I've signed up for Jan. 12-13. I am excited to give it a go!
Old 09-27-2006, 04:30 PM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

I think programs such as PDE are great idea. Its a safe environment, not your car, and you get professional instruction. It provides a great foundation.

That being said, I would also like to point out to help build on that you attend a few autocrosses in your local area. PCA clubs have them all over the place as well as other great organizations such as BMW CCA and SCCA. autocross lets you play with the limits of your own car in a safe controlled manner albeit at lower speeds. I think I'm a much more confident driver on track b/c of autocross.

The thing I cringe at the most and I've seen quite a few instances is when a track DE student gradually progresses and gains confidence on a big track until they drive themselves into a situation where they need to understand emergency car control and they haven't been trained on it. Thats where an autocrosser will be able to safe the car instead of it meaning a lot of damage to the car (hopefully no bodily harm but it happens) and hindered enthusiasm for the sport.

Not saying if you autocross a lot you can control the car 100% in emergency situations b/c happens but you will have more training and experience with it.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
..*I had no idea how to brake until I took this class. The word HARD has new meaning...
Can you please expand on this?

Quick Reply: PDE: Why it rocks...