Sponsored by:

tiptronic hatred

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
I wonder what the option cost of the DSG is going to be when they offer it? are they going to keep the Tip, and slot the DSG as a $5000 option? or replace the Tip with the DSG?
I'm sure PDK/DSG will replace the Tiptronic, and it will be more expensive. $5k seems about right. It will appeal to both manual and automatic drivers; as shown by BMW, Ferrari, and Maserati, such a transmission can easily command a premium.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:06 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 961 Likes on 536 Posts

I wonder if it makes sense for them to keep the Tip for the cabriolets, I imagine most cabs are sold as Tips. and just offer the DSG for the coupes.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 AM
Queram
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
boo? what is going on?

boalala and I have this thing going on in every thread about Tiptronic. He basically can not accept the fact about tiptronic and the fact that Porsche is late in the game. ( I wonder if he is one of the engineers that worked with Porsche or the company that built this slushbox)

He has this sarcasm going on from the beginning of this thread but I would perefer him not to rply to my message since it gives the expression that ı was the one who did not know what I was buying.

I knew exactly that I was buying sir. As I said before it is the only way to drive a Carrera for me at the moment so I accepted the fact. This however is no reason for me not to step up and say my opinion about this transmission so other members would know.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:11 AM
Queram
Instructor

Paddle shifters would be improvement, any additional gears above 5 is improvement, lever control is improvement and other potentil benefits. however it still would not be a sequential manual but would be many times better than the current setup.

If the transmission will be DSG and if it will be based on the Audi VW system than I think they will drop tiptronic. Otherwise they would keep it in the line.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:20 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
I wonder if it makes sense for them to keep the Tip for the cabriolets, I imagine most cabs are sold as Tips.
No. DSG/PDK makes the conventional torque-converter automatic obsolete in every way; it is more efficient, providing both better performance and better fuel economy along with infinitely quicker shifts. Audi's DSG is as smooth as a conventional torque-converter automatic...no reason for Porsche to hold on to a low-tech 5-speed automatic when the standard is 6-speeds, with 7- and now 8-speeds available (new Lexus LS) and DSG/PDK in its arsenal.

Besides, DSG/PDK will allow Porsche to widen its customer base for the more expensive 'automatic' option.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:38 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a side note, I read somewhere that DSG was actually developed by Borg Warner and licensed to VW. I wonder if Porsche will balk at paying the licensing fee? Then again, they own a goodly chunk of VW anyway - I wonder if they in essence already have rights to the technology.

I've also read that Audi it trying to differentiate it's DSG by calling is S-tronic. The German language website (audi.de) has a reference to S-tronic, but I haven't seen that name used in the U.S. yet.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:23 AM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

Porsche has already stated that the DSG was not good enough to use in its cars and that is why they don't use it.

"DSG" is a brand name and Porsche will likely reintroduce the new box under PDK. This system is being worked on by Ricardo (helped design Porsche's GT racing trannies and the DCT for the Veyron, among others) last I heard and will appear first either in the GT1 supercar or maybe the GT2.

Porsche has also been quoted as saying they will shift to the sequential manual when they can no longer improve the Tiptronic.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:24 AM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I hate to perpetuate this debate, but that's simply not true. With the Tip's added weight and one less gear ratio (and the remaining five not optimal), there is no way to match the performance of a manual, even when driven moderately on the street.
You obviously have not driven both (on street, road and track) and your comment is just based on assumption and numbers on paper. It all comes down to the driver.

Drive both in all three environments and then come back and post.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Queram
Instructor

Originally Posted by TorqueMonkey

Porsche has also been quoted as saying they will shift to the sequential manual when they can no longer improve the Tiptronic.
If they quoted something like this I say what a bull**** comment that smells pure marketing effort to cover their ***.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:05 PM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

Originally Posted by Queram
If they quoted something like this I say what a bull**** comment that smells pure marketing effort to cover their ***.
I think so too. This was a fairly recent quote in response to being pelted with questions about the sequential manual release date.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the comments I've read, there's still plenty of room for improvement...
Old 08-29-2006, 02:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

You obviously have not driven both (on street, road and track) and your comment is just based on assumption and numbers on paper. It all comes down to the driver.

Drive both in all three environments and then come back and post.
Um, yeah, I have. I don't make assumptions without stating them as such. In fact I just signed up for another track event with my 997 Tiptronic this morning.

There's no way you can argue that any measure of performance with a five speed automatic is somehow equal to a six speed manual in a non-Turbo 997, especially a non-S such as I have my experience with. It's not a torquey motor, and the shorter gearing of the six speed manual greatly improves performance and driveablility in all situations.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:11 PM
fpb
Track Day

Sorry mdrums. I sincerely apologize.

Quick Reply: tiptronic hatred