Sponsored by:

tiptronic hatred

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:35 AM
robert1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy tiptronic hatred

i just bought a NEW 06' 997S convert. Oh she is awsome black on black Gemballa GT body kit, evoms intake. oand many other add on's. anyway, you would have thought i learned my lesson with tips having owned my 996 tip for the past 5 years. but NO, i was convinced by the sales person at my local dealer that porsche had made leap and bound improvments over my 996. boy what a sucker i was. i have am trying to love this car but cant get over the lazy shifting. i talked to german auto and evoms about flashing my ECU, they say it will help some, but not in the shifting program. does anyone feel the same way? and what can i do to help the situation. believe me ,im at the point of disgust with this shifteing prob....sorry to vent but i am frusterated...any feed back would be helpful..by the way i am going to the dealer on monday to see if i can put a turbo conv. on order.....NO tip there
Old 08-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Nicolaasdb
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain...have an 996 tip...and it was getting used to...sooo sloooow until you kick it on its tail...since I had never had a tip P before I got used to it...but reccently bought my wife an bmw X5 and that "tip" works like a dream with 3 programs to choose from (normal, sport and 6 gears manual)
My next or other P will be a stick!!!

Good lesson learned: never listen to those stupid sales "idiots" they just wantto make their commission......
Old 08-13-2006, 01:27 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Does that car have the Sport Chrono option? That would help a little I would think...

6-speeds for me.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:34 AM
nyca
Drifting

Received 922 Likes on 517 Posts

the dsg is coming soon.
Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 AM
ChipAZ
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my hip replaced not long ago. When deciding on what transmission to get I feared that if I got the stick and had problems. I might have to get out of the car. So I got the tiptronic. I completely understand the way you feel. But I have got to say that the Tip is one of the best automatics I have driven. It is a lot faster than my former Mercedes 7 speed. You had to wait forever to get into 3rd. I'm still trying to figure out the shift points, while breaking it in. But I'm happy. I will miss the 6 speed or the 5 speed on my first Porsche.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:15 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

Tips suck... Sorry..

I drive a tip in my X5 4.8is. Yes, it's better than plain auto and I am constantly using the gear change lever for more of a manual drive.. But nothing makes me crazier than being in too high a gear entering a turn and being bogged down through the turn, which is what the BMW's do if your not in manual.
Then for some reason, they downshift right as you are about to "track out"

I thought about flashing my BMW ecu with Dinan but realized it's my utility vehicle and it's leased. I'll just drive it stock.

B
Old 08-13-2006, 09:05 AM
cr2000
Advanced

I don't understand why on earth anyone would order an automatic porsche. My wife wanted me to consider a tip, so that she could drive it. I opted to buy her, her own chick-car (MB 280SLK automatic of course), just so I could get the porsche in a stick and not listen to her complain she can't drive it.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I personally am glad Porsche offers a Automatic transmission (TipTronic). I am a full left leg amputee as of 3 years ago and can no longer push in a clutch.

Although, I would much rather have the F1 tranny in this car!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Originally Posted by robert1
i just bought a NEW 06' 997S convert. Oh she is awsome black on black Gemballa GT body kit, evoms intake. oand many other add on's. anyway, you would have thought i learned my lesson with tips having owned my 996 tip for the past 5 years. but NO, i was convinced by the sales person at my local dealer that porsche had made leap and bound improvments over my 996. boy what a sucker i was. i have am trying to love this car but cant get over the lazy shifting. i talked to german auto and evoms about flashing my ECU, they say it will help some, but not in the shifting program. does anyone feel the same way? and what can i do to help the situation. believe me ,im at the point of disgust with this shifteing prob....sorry to vent but i am frusterated...any feed back would be helpful..by the way i am going to the dealer on monday to see if i can put a turbo conv. on order.....NO tip there
Dont see how anyone in their right mind would buy a car(especially an expensive car like a 997)without a thorough test drive to see if it was suitable for their needs.Sounds like a troll to me.
I personally like the tiptronic although it is not without its faults(hate the shifter buttons for a start-paddles would have been much better)Where I live there are probably 100 speed cameras and they flash if you are even 5mph over the limit.The roads are very crowded too-long traffic jams daily,so tiptronic is ideally suited to this part of the world.I had an smg gearbox on a BMW M3 I previously owned,and while the gearchanges were quicker the auto mode was dreadful and if you were ever reverse parking up a slight incline it was incredibly frustrating.If you dont like tip dont buy it,its as simple as that.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

no sympathy here either - sorry - you should have test driven it
Old 08-13-2006, 10:34 AM
royalpar1
Instructor

Thumbs up Tips are a great Middle Ground

I have a fully loaded 997 Cab with Tip, while there are days i would love to have a manual, usually while driving in bumper to bumper trafic I am glad I dont. Also we have 2 cars, my wifes is a MDX so when i am going to a show or something and need the truck, my wife can drive the tip. I dont race, or autocross so it is not something i feel i must have. The tip is a great compromise, i have my sports car cab, and at the same time i have a great family car.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:45 AM
robert1
AutoX

well, i agree i did put to much faith in my sales person and like i said, i already own it. so now i am trying to cope with my mistake. my question was, does anyone know of a company who might be working on a software fix. I heard maybe EVOMS might. ????? and also, i asked if anyone had noticed a improvement when flashing the ECU? im not against tiptronic, but just hate the lazy shift. it needs to be crisper.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:47 AM
robert1
AutoX

royal par1 my wife agrees with you
Old 08-13-2006, 11:00 AM
svinaik
Advanced

Robert1,

you sound like a kid to whom world has done all wrong. Please, if you hate Tip so much, then best solution to your problem is to trade this in and buy the manual. So much hatred for Tip can not be cured by any flashing of ECU or any other fixes.

I do like the Tip and love it everytime I go out in the traffic & public roads.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:08 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the tiptronice are adaptive transmissions, they adapt to the drivers driving style, if you drive it lazy it will shift lazy if you drive it agressively it will shift agressively, Take the car to the dealer and complainf of a hesitation and shifting delay, they will clear your tranismission adaptaion.
WHen you get the car back drive it very hard for at least 10 miles the transimission will be much crisper after that

Quick Reply: tiptronic hatred