Sponsored by:

tiptronic hatred

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 07:51 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
An interesting thread about Tip Vs Manual on a 997 TT. Apparently the tip was designed to be faster.

http://www.rennteam.com/showflat.php...=all&vc=1&nt=6
Maybe that was the intent, but it's surely not, with the exception to the turbo of course. The cars exhibit different redlines and they don't shift at the optimum apex of the car's torque curve. I've owned both, and clearly there's no argument here. I will agree, and so will several publications, they are getting better, but they haven't closed the gap on such manufactureres as that red italian car. I'll post some graphs if I can remember where I saw them regarding the torque curve and Tip vs Std.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:37 PM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Well, apparently some of these listers are smoking crack, or something as bad. Why don't you pick up the phone and run that line (60/40 tip/std) by the dealer and see what they tell you. I don't think you'll post their response. In the meantime, I'll get the facts from the Porsche factory. Would you like to wager????????? I don't gamble, but I'll make an exception in your case.
someone's ego is feeling neglected. here's a Rolex and a new baba for you while I try and find some kind of award or trophy that we can give you. That way you'll feel important again.
Old 08-26-2006, 08:49 PM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

Trying to sell my 997 6speed first. Been really tough though since everyone seems to be looking for a Tip (seeing as how they outsell the manual 2 to 1).
Old 08-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe that was the intent, but it's surely not, with the exception to the turbo of course. The cars exhibit different redlines and they don't shift at the optimum apex of the car's torque curve. I've owned both, and clearly there's no argument here. I will agree, and so will several publications, they are getting better, but they haven't closed the gap on such manufactureres as that red italian car. I'll post some graphs if I can remember where I saw them regarding the torque curve and Tip vs Std.
Silver I was referring to the 997TT tip. Even Porsche publishes performance times which show the tip is slower. No argument there. However, this thread has gone beyond the realm of discussion to the distasteful ridicule. Not going to participate in this thread anymore.
Old 08-27-2006, 12:23 AM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Silver I was referring to the 997TT tip. Even Porsche publishes performance times which show the tip is slower. No argument there. However, this thread has gone beyond the realm of discussion to the distasteful ridicule. Not going to participate in this thread anymore.
Yeah, unfortunately that happens sometimes when people show complete lack of respect for others and make personal attacks for no reason.
Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Bill Coleman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I was playing NFSPU yesterday with a game controller and suddenly realized - all the kids growing up these days playing driving games shift gears by pressing buttons. When they drive a real car why should they expect it to be any different?
Old 08-27-2006, 02:35 PM
boolala
Race Car

"Real men", though, only play video games that have a simulated clutch on the game controller.

The rest are just posers.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Queram
Instructor

You must be kidding. Where did you get that erroneous information? The standard trani outsells the tip by almost 10 to one.
Here in Turkey we have one distributor gallery and grey market. The distributor sold only 2 manual Carreras. The grey market is always Tiptronic. We have terrible traffic here. that is why I chose Tip, it was the only way for me to drive a Carrera. It is a daily driver and I drive alot in terrible, unbearable traffic. I am confident that there are more markets like ours so USA market numbers do not reflect the statistics neither is ours. If someone can find documentation from Porsche we know how many of each they manufactured.

The reason why I complained in almost every thread is the fact that this car needed a kick *** sequential not a tiptronic transmission. Even DSG in my opinion is while can be very fast, it has a very unnatural feeling.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Queram, I agree also as a Tip owner that the Tip is nice and can be fun but yes Porsche needs to step it up and offer a transmission like What BMW, Ferrari and Audi have...a true sequential....Hey Porsche are you listening to your customers?!?!?!?! Hope so!

Someone here mentioned they went to the PDE in Birmingham and got some lessons on the Tip. I would love to hear what the driving instructors had to say on proper driving a Tipronic.

thanks, Mike
Old 08-28-2006, 02:09 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Queram
The reason why I complained in almost every thread is the fact that this car needed a kick *** sequential not a tiptronic transmission. Even DSG in my opinion is while can be very fast, it has a very unnatural feeling.
I couldn't be more in agreement with this.

When I bought my tip I thought it was a sequential gearbox.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered, a year later, that it was a slushbox!
Old 08-28-2006, 04:55 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
I couldn't be more in agreement with this.

When I bought my tip I thought it was a sequential gearbox.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered, a year later, that it was a slushbox!
Originally Posted by boolala
I'm not the one who started this thread. I'm happy with my tip.

I'm just amused by people who buy them not knowing exactly what they are getting into and then complain when it fails to meet their expectations.

Next time when you buy a 90 K car get a clue beforehand exactly what you are purchasing.
boo? what is going on?
Old 08-28-2006, 05:18 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by icon
boo? what is going on?

In a word: Sarcasm.....
Old 08-28-2006, 11:11 PM
TorqueMonkey
Track Day

It all comes down to knowing how to drive each one correctly. Same engine in both cars. I prefer the manual but have driven the Tip extensively and if you learn to throttle it correctly, you can get an identical performance out of the car.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueMonkey
It all comes down to knowing how to drive each one correctly. Same engine in both cars. I prefer the manual but have driven the Tip extensively and if you learn to throttle it correctly, you can get an identical performance out of the car.
I hate to perpetuate this debate, but that's simply not true. With the Tip's added weight and one less gear ratio (and the remaining five not optimal), there is no way to match the performance of a manual, even when driven moderately on the street.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:44 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 922 Likes on 517 Posts

I wonder what the option cost of the DSG is going to be when they offer it? are they going to keep the Tip, and slot the DSG as a $5000 option? or replace the Tip with the DSG?

Quick Reply: tiptronic hatred