Sponsored by:

tiptronic hatred

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Well I have a X51 tip. And the factory guy at Zuffenhausen said he'd only seen one other configured that way.
I wonder if the "factory guy" saw my Club Coupe, then, because it's a tip. Not sure if there could have been many or even any built ahead of me, since mine was Club Coupe no. 2 of 50--completed production 10/4 and I took delivery 10/29/05.

I've said it before--sports chrono is a must have with the tip; push the sport button, and the tip works beautifully, and will even bump the rev limiter in manual mode, stays in lower gears longer in auto mode, and is far more responsive.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Paul S.
I wonder if the "factory guy" saw my Club Coupe, then, because it's a tip. Not sure if there could have been many or even any built ahead of me, since mine was Club Coupe no. 2 of 50--completed production 10/4 and I took delivery 10/29/05.

I've said it before--sports chrono is a must have with the tip; push the sport button, and the tip works beautifully, and will even bump the rev limiter in manual mode, stays in lower gears longer in auto mode, and is far more responsive.
Well I think what that guy was trying to say was, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU? but in a "you're the customer, I'm just giving you the car and you have bad taste then you're stupid anyway" way.

I thought of the chronometer esp since I was headed to the Ring. But that blob on the dash just didn't do it for me. I just lived with a passenger and a stopwatch.
As for Tip vs 6sp fun, the tip is a poor man's SMG or F1. 5 gears but when you are trail braking with your left foot and feathering the throttle in with your right, a switch gear box is the better way to do it.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:31 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I have a Tip on my C2S because I lost my left leg a few years ago and I do not have the muscle in my stump or am I able to push a clutch pedal with my prosthetic leg. I suggest that if yo get a Tip to get the Sport Chrono option. When you press the sport button the tip hold gears longer in Auto mode but it manual mode it shifts a little more crisper.

Now I have to agree that it would be nicer to have a 6 speed Tip and padle shifters instead of rocker buttons and it will be nice when Porsche has there new F1 style fast tranny out in a few years.

However for now this is the only way I can drive a Porsche and for the street and everyday driving a Tip is not as bad as most of you on here make it out to be. BTW, at a recent AutoX the Porsche Club instructors found the 6 speed to not really be any faster than the Tip.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:56 AM
boolala
Race Car

Come on guys I'd hate to see this thread die an untimely death.

If you've only expressed your tiptronic hatred a single time here's your chance for an encore.

Your 15 minutes are not up yet!

(But I fear that if I continue this, mine soon will be!)
Old 08-20-2006, 11:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

boolala, basically it's...to each his own...in the Tip desecion. Personally as I've explained before I had no choice.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Queram
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manual mode seems so slow. Drive in automatic mode with sports button activated and use manual inputs. that seems to be the fastest and most adaptive setup.

In any case shame on Porsche.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:40 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Wife: Porsche = Tip, Manual = No Porsche
Old 08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
Old 08-21-2006, 05:02 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by THPorsche
It's a win-win, TH. <g>
Old 08-21-2006, 11:45 PM
DTMELM
Track Day

Default Wife = Tip

Yup...Same boat. Kept men don't complain if they get to drive...

D.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:23 AM
boolala
Race Car

Ok, so were the hell is my "wife" anyway so I can "justify" my purchase of the tip?
Old 08-22-2006, 12:43 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

Hey, to all you Tip haters. I have a tiptronic. Love it to death and love being a passenger at times when my wife is driving. No it will never give you the consumate feel of the manual but with practice and experience can give you a heck of a ride. And to those who further deride the thought. I took this away from my PDE course in Birmigham, Ala. First and foremost Hurley Haywood the quintisential Porsche driver if there ever was one, drives a Tip and loves it. And second I would love to see all those whom proclaim to be the best at heal and toe fly around the autocross course at Barber Motor Speedway without hitting any cones and best the times of those driven in the Tiptronic which they have you use by the way.
I can't believe that fellow Porsche drivers, who know what it has taken to acquire the dream of owning a 911 belittle other Porsche drivers who happen to drive a Tiptronic. It's a shame and it's disappointing.

Jay
Old 08-22-2006, 01:01 AM
boolala
Race Car

Well I think that those who "deride" us for owning a tip are in the distinct minority. I think that most peole here are simply expressing a preference for the manual.

Otherwise I agree with you.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:59 AM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Its funny but Ive never seen a thread by a tiptronic owner being smug and criticising the manual gearbox and implying that manual owners lack something or are the 'poor relations'.......
Old 08-22-2006, 06:43 AM
rountreed
Burning Brakes

Have a manual and can say that many times I wish I had a tip. The main reason is the spouse factor; it would be nice to go out sometimes and have a beer and be able to let my wife drive home. Result of not having a tip (negative) I tend to drive the Volvo when we go out or if we take the Porsche I just do not drink (note in Germany .05 and you can kiss your drivers license goodbye, which is about 1 good German beer). The positive is the 6 speed is allot of fun when driving.

Quick Reply: tiptronic hatred