Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tiptronic hatred

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:10 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I had a tip and I have to say, if you drive in LA like traffic and talk on the phone, you're better of with it. If you have a std, you must be engaged with the car completely to drive it, period. The tip is nice when the traffice is stop and go on the freeway. Since I drive mine on the weekends only, I wouldn't dream of anything but a std.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:34 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I agree padles would be better than the toggle buttons. However for a everyday driver like our car is the Tip is not too bad. Yes it would be nice if it was crisper and if it did not try to drive around in 5th gear at 40mph. Try switching on your sport mode and I have noticed it hold gears longer and does not try to shift to the highest gear so fast.
I have read that Porsche has a new style of Tip coming out in 2009 that will be more like what BMW and or Ferrari have. That will be around the time we are ready for a new Porsche too.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:48 PM
robert1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
the tiptronice are adaptive transmissions, they adapt to the drivers driving style, if you drive it lazy it will shift lazy if you drive it agressively it will shift agressively, Take the car to the dealer and complainf of a hesitation and shifting delay, they will clear your tranismission adaptaion.
WHen you get the car back drive it very hard for at least 10 miles the transimission will be much crisper after that

thanks for the info. i will do that on monday, hopefully that will help.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:32 PM

How about using the manual mode or buttons to shift?
Old 08-13-2006, 03:33 PM
fpb
Track Day

Cut your losses now and trade it in-you'll be happier in the long run.

EVERYONE drives in traffic so that is no excuse for getting a tip-they are for the handicapped.
Old 08-13-2006, 03:36 PM
bnewport
Racer

Manual mode works well at HPDE. Tip won't be slowing you down unless you're a very good driver.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:17 PM
Marsellus Wallace
Instructor

Originally Posted by fpb

EVERYONE drives in traffic so that is no excuse for getting a tip-they are for the handicapped.
You are talking out of your ****,there are many reasons and circumstances why people buy tips
Old 08-13-2006, 05:51 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me thinketh fpb is mentally handicapped!
Old 08-13-2006, 06:01 PM
svinaik
Advanced

Originally Posted by fpb

FBP.. you have only proven your mental incapabilities by your statement about "handicapped". It's people like you who bring nothing but stupidity & lack of proper manners to otherwise healthy discussion.

Go shift your mental gears...
Old 08-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well I have a X51 tip. And the factory guy at Zuffenhausen said he'd only seen one other configured that way. After 8 laps around the ring, it wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Sure the gears are a bit tall and the shifts are slower than the F1 or SMG gearboxes by far. And when you have the multifunction steering wheel, it looks like a mess on the wheel.
I'm quite sure I'd go 15secs faster at the ring with a stick, due to the acceleration and better gear selection. But being able to work the brake with your left foot and throttle with the other foot, sometimes I know I'm going into corners a bit deeper with trail braking and on throttle a bit earlier. It is an individual thing and many times in traffic and when I needed an extra hand for drinks etc, the tip is great.
I suggest you drive it in manual mode or as the others have suggested, trade it in when your turbo cab comes. I'm surprised you did not test drive the car before buying it.
FPB, that was a very crass and insensitive statement.

Last edited by Eggplant Cab; 08-13-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I agree with the original poster. We got a Tiptronic to appease the other half, and now that she's tired of the 997's stiff ride it's become my daily driver. Compared to other modern automatics, the shifts are slow, the gearing is poor, 2nd gear starts are annoying, and the interface is cumbersome. Not to mention the two times the car has been to the dealer for unscheduled work were Tiptronic related (one complete failure, and a park/key interlock switch replacement).

Some people on this board love their Tiptronics, and they're tired of hearing me complain about it. Unfortunately I will continue to do so for another year or two, when it will be replaced by a GT3.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:14 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by fpb

thanks...*******!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:05 AM
raffi
Pro

tiptronics are great, 2 out of my 4 911's were tip. and they definitely improve with each model.
Robert post a picture of your car, I havent seen the gemballa kit on a car besides the promo pictures.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 AM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fpb

Here we "troll" again ...oh geez another Mensa member...
Old 08-14-2006, 05:01 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by fpb

Porsche has to offer a tip in order to comply with the Americans with Disabilties Act

Quick Reply: tiptronic hatred