Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you let the valet guys drive your car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:23 AM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
What about inner-city boutique hotels? I'm a huge fan of this genre and have assembled a tidy list of places that I love to stay at in SF, 90210, San Diego, etc.

In many of these places the parking options are slim to none. Valet park or don't park. Or worse, park in some dumpy public lot/garage where the inner-cityness of the area exposes the car to who-knows-what.

This is the thing that bugs me the most - I love to motor in the Porsche and prefer to stay in the heart of the cities I visit. Parking is often a point of stress.
Park outside somewhere and take a cab from there to the inner city hotel.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:12 PM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends - I ask if they've driven a stick (many haven't). If no, I ask them to get someone who has. If yes, they can park it. These are cars and mine are insured.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:26 PM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My previous 993 yes... My RUF Turbo R... hell no!
Old 08-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Won't let them touch either my Audi or the Porsche. When in Philly, the only parking garages I use are self parks. Too many bad experiences with valets in the past.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
geof
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

In general no.

I remember once I entered a garage and the valet asked for the key. I asked him if I could park it, he hesitated, and basically implied we could work something out. I gave him an extra $10 (yippee) and he let me park it in some reserved spot. What is funny is that the way he took me to this spot was to grab a key for a Merc SUV that was waiting to be parked, hopped into it, and quickly drove on (tires chirping a bit) to show me where to park. I couldn't keep up with him! (Not that I was trying.) This experience left me as unsettled about valets as stories of kids spitting in pizza leaves me unsettled about Pizza Hut.

The exception is that there is one garage near where I work that always seems to have some very nice cars parked up at the entrance- A Ferrari or two, Aston Martin, and a showcase of late-model German sedans. (For those of you in DC, I think it is the PMI, I believe on M street and around 15th or 16th street.) I've left my car there three times, and every time they just park it on the upper level "on display". I do tip generously and put on the act a bit about being worried to leave it there. I've also valeted once at the Willard hotel.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:51 PM
Fishdoc
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no
Old 08-31-2008, 03:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pred8or
Never been to a place that had a valet! You guys must be high class!
It's called congestion.

Many restaurants in Southern California only have valet parking available. But I don't mind parking a block away just to avoid valet parking. In Hollywood it's difficult to find self parking anywhere, so I usually leave the the 997 home if I need to be up there.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:39 PM
mal28
Rennlist Member

my friend's son worked as a Valet while in college, somebody pulled in in a 911 turbo, when we asked him who parked it, he replied "we all did!"

I do not take the 997 to places at which I feel uncomfortable parking , that is why I have the Lexus or my beater, a 1997 Saab
Old 09-01-2008, 11:54 PM
jackolo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately being where I am, we don't have much need for valet parking except for some high end hotels. Even then, its only for the truly lazy or rich. Parking is so freaken abundant in Edmonton and relatively cheap compared to other major Canadian metropolitan areas.

I only valet my vehicle when at the airport. Its worth it to me to not have to walk the distance to the "Park and Fly" areas. Also being winter here for 8 months a year, its nice to not be outside for too long and also not have to be parking with all the... "others". j/k
Old 09-02-2008, 01:02 AM
Tone
Racer

Only done it a couple times.....but after this one....never again:
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

OUCH!!
Old 09-02-2008, 11:46 AM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will if it is at a club that I frequent, and if I'm aquanted with the valet. But other then that NO ~~
Old 09-02-2008, 12:20 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 261 Posts

I went to a restaurant in NYC last week where it offered valet parking. I declined and parked my '99 pathfinder/city beater with a trailer hitch on the street. I came out after my meal to find out that the valet parking lot was full and the guys were parking cars on the street.

It just so happens that the valet parked me in giving me no room to get me out of my street spot and would not admit that they were valet cars even with valet card on the dash. I got out with them watching.

I would never hand my keys over to people who don't care about cars they don't own.
Old 09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a chance.

Back in 1991 my parents took us out to dinner to celebrate the purchase of their first new car in 15 years... a Lexus LS400... the valet neglected to remove the keys from his back pocket and put a huge gash in the seat. He wouldn't admit to ruining the leather on a hours old car and my Dad nearly put his fist through the managers face.

Luckily, Lexus was even more customer focused then than they are today... when they heard about our misfortune, the dealer repaired the seat free of charge (btw - my parents are now on their 4th LS and have also added an RX).

I also watched two separate accidents caused by valet drivers when I was in school.

I don't valet my beater and I'm sure as hell not using the valet on the P car.
Old 09-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74

I would never hand my keys over to people who don't care about cars they don't own.
That about says it all.

Quick Reply: Do you let the valet guys drive your car?