Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Silver with Aluminum Look or Carbon Fiber??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 08:36 PM
RDKJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT Silver with Aluminum Look or Carbon Fiber??

As I prepare to order my Turbo, I am trying to decide between the Aluminum Look or Carbon Fiber interior package. The exterior color is going to be the same as my 2CS - GT Silver. I absolutely love the color of the car, why change?

I feel the Aluminum Look components would look great with GT Silver, but how would Carbon look?

I believe my interior choice will be Natural Grey.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 PM
david1
Advanced

RDKJ,

I just ordered 997 TT from Brumos in GT Silver Metallic with Black/Terracotta interior and loads of carbon. The TT has some aluminum trim as standard so you may want to check with your salesman/dealer about the quantity and location. I've had a couple C4S and C2S with alumuminum, hence the change to carbon. With all the gray on the interior, have you thought about either of the natural woods? BTW, have you been told when to expect delivery on your ordered TT?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:19 PM
david1
Advanced

RDKJ,

I just ordered 997 TT from Brumos in GT Silver Metallic with Black/Terracotta interior and loads of carbon. The TT has some aluminum trim as standard so you may want to check with your salesman/dealer about the quantity and its locations. I've had a couple recent 996 and 997's with a lot of alumuminum, hence the change to carbon. With all the gray in the interior, have you thought about either of the natural woods available? BTW, have you been told when to expect delivery on your ordered TT?
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

I ordered my 997S with the door handle and door opener in aluminum look (est April delivery if I ever get it since the strike ).

Although I think too much aluminum (like the steering wheel, dash, etc.) could look to flashy and may actually be a distraction due to sun glare/reflection.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:11 PM
RDKJ
Advanced

david1,
The dealership it telling late fall at best on delivery. I am in a smaller market, so the Turbos do not have the same demand as they do on the coasts.

Thanks for the wood suggestion - I'll look into it, though wood reminds me of my Dad's Lincoln.

I wonder how Carbon would look against Natural Grey? Anyone?
Old 02-28-2006, 11:22 PM
irish guitar
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the carbon would look better for two reasons; it'll be sportier looking AND it'll look classier, too. The alum look is just coloured plastic after all. GT silver and natural sounds like a great combo.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDKJ
...I wonder how Carbon would look against Natural Grey? Anyone?
That would be a sharp combo imho. Too bad there are no photos of this, but check the options list on this particular S cabrio-- I am looking at some property in Virginia this weekend and I may actually stop and see this car, I'll post pics early next week if so;
http://crown.porschedealer.com/new_c...ntoryid=205764
Old 03-01-2006, 12:40 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,181 Likes on 599 Posts

i agree with irish guitar. carbon's got a contrast and exotic feel that the Aluminum "look" plastic parts can't match. the only place that the aluminum look really fits would be the seat backs, but you'd be better off just getting them painted gt silver to match the outside. Carbon is more expensive per item, but the aluminum look stuff is just plastic, so its not really worth whatever they charge for it anyways
Old 03-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

My car has a black interior and I ordered it with the the small carbon pkg. (shifter, handbrake & horizontal trim piece on the dash above the glove box) and I really like it. It's not common and it's understated.

Aluma look is painted plastic and, to me, is a waste of money.

Congrats on the Turbo. It looks to be a sweet ride.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:55 PM
david1
Advanced

I'm sure gray leather with carbon will look better than with aluminum. I've seen wood and while it's common in American luxury cars, it does look very nice in a 996 or 997 interior. You can build a Carrera on Porsche's website with any and all trims to see what you might like. Good luck...yes, my dealer was noncommital on delivery date as they haven't been told (as of two weeks ago) by PCNA when they can place orders on TT's.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have stone gray full leather with aluminum-look dash package, door finishers & console. Also have aftermarket polished aluminum pedals. Very attractive combination & I have had a lot of compliments on it. I am thinking of having the PCM faceplate & horn ring finished to match. The aluminum-look is a pearlescent aluminum paint and can be applied by a good body/interior shop. I prefer it to carbon. Like most Porsche options, it is overpriced & not worth the money.

The combination of the natural gray, a darker shade, with the carbon should look really sharp, but go the full route, the parts you don't do in carbon will be plastic. If you get sport seats, the backs are volcano gray plastic, but could be optioned in leather.

I suggest being carefull, so as not to get a mis-matched interior instead of a uniform look. Scrutinize the dealer's order guide at your leisure first & then and make your salesman detail exactly how everything will be finished. Good luck.

Quick Reply: GT Silver with Aluminum Look or Carbon Fiber??