Sponsored by:

New Tires ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:26 PM
woodranch
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New Tires ?

Have any of you had any problems when purchasing new tires that the shop scratches your wheels when removing them.Is the best way of preventing this is to stand over them while they remove the tires? I know to go to a good tire shop but they still don't treat the job like its there own car.I would love some tips from you on how you handle this situation when buying new tires.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:36 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

only use the your dealer - i know you pay a little more - but they wont scratch hem..i made the mistake of taking my old boxster to discount tire..they scratched a rim and for got to replace all the wheel bolts...idiots
Old 03-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

First off, you have to chose a shop that is used to dealing with expensive rims. It's not like slapping rubber on a steel wheel. Today, more and more ships are used to this because exotic wheels are more comon than ever. There are several wheel mounting rigs out thee that never have to touch the front of the wheel,--and can do this perfectly. You could even put a little silver duct tape temporarily on the front of the rims in critical places to make sure that nothing can happen,--and if placed right, will never impede their mounting process. For example, some wheels really stick out because of offsets toward the front,--and if the thing falls and hits the floor of the shop while being dismounted or remounted you wind up with scratches. A little tape will go a long way to protect them. You then peel it off once they're on the car.

Dan
Old 03-01-2006, 05:01 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone ever succeeded in sending Tire Rack tires to a dealership and having them install them?
Old 03-01-2006, 05:38 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just talking to me dealer in Rockville today about doing just that same thing for the Cayenne!
Old 03-01-2006, 07:28 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronmart
Has anyone ever succeeded in sending Tire Rack tires to a dealership and having them install them?
I bought a single tire last month from Tire Rack and had a local shop install it. They were not happy I didn't purchace from them and charged me $40 instead of $25 to mount it.

These small shops use the lowest paid employee to do this work. They once managed to strip the threads on the rotors of my Benz and were unable to repair it. They denied any responsibility. My dealer repaired it under warrantee. Some jerk must have just overtorqued the bolts. These places don't even have a proper torque wrench, don't know how or don't want to use one.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:32 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

woodranch - I used to have a discount shop that gave me great deals. Then one day I found out that they replaced a tire on a rim that was badly out of round (I had hit a pothole and thought I just lost a tire). Since then I do all of my wheel/tire business with Wheel Enhancement in Culver City. Not only are their prices as good as anyplace else, but they are pros and super careful with installations (I have ceramic brakes too, and don't want to take any chance of dinging them up).

And BTW, I would not trust every dealer to be pros on tire changes - I think it can vary significantly from dealer to dealer and at some you may be worse off than a normal reliable tire shop.

Quick Reply: New Tires ?