Sponsored by:

997 Purchase advise please

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 03:17 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 Purchase advise please

I have made the decision this year to upgrade my '02 996 Cab. I still like the car, but I am looking for updated styling and more acceleration. After considering C4S and 996 TT I have decided upon 997S Cab.
This is a fairweather ride for me and I always keep a DD (currently 330xi). I wonder if I can draw on the experience of those that have gone before me to spec out the car exactly as I would like it. Cost is really not the concern, I am mainly interested in ordering the car exactly the way I want it that will keep me happy for many years to come. I would upgrade the suspension as likely the only mod.

1) X51 Power Kit: Those that have it, is it all that you had hoped? To those that do not, did you consider it? If yes, do you regret not ordering it? Note: with or w/o X51 I consider PSE as mandatory vs. fake base quads!

2) Bi-colour option: I have never seen this "in the flesh." Does anyone have this and if so are you happy with it?

3) Other than the above, I intend to spec out as follows:
Ext colour: Atlas Grey or Midnight Blue
Int colour: Bi-colour Blk/Stone Grey or full leather Blk
Carrera S wheel (yes I really like the lobster forks!)
No sport chrono, as I have no use for stopwatch - Is this a mistake??
Short throw shifter
Heated seats
Seat belts in silver
Aluminum foot rest
Leather sport wheel (I think this is the thicker option)
Crest in headrest
Centre console in leather
Metal door sill model insignia
Bose audio

Any and all feedback welcomed
Thanks to all.
Paul.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:37 PM
bravocharlie
Instructor

You may want to read this thread. It might help.

C4S-X51 vs. 997TT
Old 02-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Paul

I have a friend who got his 997 cab about the same time I got my car. He observes that with the 19 inch wheels, the ride as too hard for his liking, compared to his 996 coupe. He is dropping tires pressures to try and make it better, but without success. If you get the Sports Chrono, you have the ability to switch the suspension settings. I have the Chrono, and feel that the ride in normal mode is fine, and that sport mode is too hard for the normal street. But it is there if I want it. This feature alone is worth the price, I believe.

The "S' wheels are a PIA to clean, relative to the Speedlines on the 993, as the lobster forks provide a lot of spoke areas to collect brake dust. I plan on trying Wheel Wax and a better wheel brush to see if it helps things.

the short shifter is a dream - I highly recommend it.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Speed
Pro

I also upgraded from an '02 996 cab to an '05 997S cab and am glad I did. I got the Sport Chrono in part because I thought it would help re-sale when the time comes, but, on the merits, I'm glad I did. I like the firmer ride and as well as the better throttle response when I need to get around traffic.

In terms of recommended options (and this is just my personal opinion) I'd spend more money on options that are practical and useful rather than just cosmetic: definitely get the self-dimming mirrors. Very useful at night and probably represents the highest ration of benefit vs. price of any Porsche option. You might also consider the multi-function steering wheel. Lets you control CD/radio and telephone without taking your hands off the wheel. Finally, a lot of people really like the adaptive sport seats, as do I, and I think they are something that will also help re-sale in the future.

As for colour combinations, I would suggest Artic Silver with sea blue interior and metropole blue top. Everyone gets silver/black while the sea blue is distinctive without being garish. Do a search and you should be able to find pics of my car which I posted last June.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

wouldn't spend the extra money on silver seatbelts, or if I did I'd get like, red - add a 'racing' touch...
sport chrono - 99% of people on here hate it but it does sharpen the throttle response.
So drive on in regular and sport mode and make your own decision
X51 is expensive, blah blah TT I assume you have eyes and can read that thread, haha
re the door sills - one popular mod on here is the lighted door sills, and it wouldn't be a whole lot more
Old 02-20-2006, 04:27 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Thank you for the link BC; very interesting read. It seems it is the X51 is what pushes the 997 up into the TT price arena, and I am interested in the impressions of those that have it; ie. if it is all that they had hoped or expected? How much would they miss it if it was not there? I am not dead set on specing X51, but I want to be sure that if I order w/o it I will not regret.
I think 997 TT Cab is too far away, but then again I am not really rushed.
I really like the 996 TT, but there are simply no good Canadian tubo cabs available, and I really do not want to deal with the dealer/service hassle of buying an imported US car. This may change once 997 TTs begin to arrive and people trade in their low milage TT cabs (may be wishful thinking)??

Pete, thank you for your comments. I must admit to being somewhat confused about sports chrono. Personally I do not find the "clock" attractive in any way. I appreciate your comments, but I understood that PASM is standard in the S, so the ride can still be set to either normal or sport setting even w/o the sports chrono option. Is this correct? Although I must admit that every dealer lot S car that I have looked at does have the s/c option.
Either way, this is one area I am looking forward to upgrading as I find my stock 996 suspension a bit soft for this type of car.
Again, thank you for the wheel advice, but I really like the lobster forks. Am I crazy
Paul.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Vancouver, thanks you for your advice. I saw the silver belts on a lot car and really liked them.
I prefer the "sport wheel" w/o the functions vs. the triangle one with buttons.
Agree that self-dimming mirrors would be a good addition. Thank you for the suggestion. This is the type of feedback I am looking for.
Paul.

Last edited by gofor28off; 02-20-2006 at 04:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:51 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Without the Sport Chrono option you still get the "Shock" button to firm-up the PASM suspension.

Lobster forks are just fine as well aer the lightest wheels

Consider these options:
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB (amazing and your wheels will stay cleaner)
CPT Storage Lid Bin W/Porsche Crst (Nicely stiched and will go well leather console)
267 Self Dimming Mirrors (work seamlessly, very good)

Bi-color interior is very nice and gives you a black dash that minimizes reflections
Old 02-20-2006, 05:00 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Thanks MJ, will add the leather storage bin lid to my list. Agree will complement the leather console.
Great pic of the bi-colour. I am hopeful someone could post one of the blk/grey option.
I am not sold on PCCB. I understand they reduce brake dust accumulation but I have read of some dissatisfied ownship experiences with these. I find Porsche "S" iron brakes to be more than adequate.
Paul.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:01 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Speed
I also upgraded from an '02 996 cab to an '05 997S cab and am glad I did. I got the Sport Chrono in part because I thought it would help re-sale when the time comes, but, on the merits, I'm glad I did. I like the firmer ride and as well as the better throttle response when I need to get around traffic.

In terms of recommended options (and this is just my personal opinion) I'd spend more money on options that are practical and useful rather than just cosmetic: definitely get the self-dimming mirrors. Very useful at night and probably represents the highest ration of benefit vs. price of any Porsche option. You might also consider the multi-function steering wheel. Lets you control CD/radio and telephone without taking your hands off the wheel. Finally, a lot of people really like the adaptive sport seats, as do I, and I think they are something that will also help re-sale in the future.

As for colour combinations, I would suggest Artic Silver with sea blue interior and metropole blue top. Everyone gets silver/black while the sea blue is distinctive without being garish. Do a search and you should be able to find pics of my car which I posted last June.
The topic already has been discussed, but the adaptive sport seats dont fit some poeples anatomy....forme the shoulder area is too narrow and restrictive...it would be great for the race track, but not for on the road commuting and cruising...
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

oh, and sport steering wheel in leather IS NOT the thicker one, unless it says THICKER - be aware
Old 02-20-2006, 05:07 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the chrono - cool toy to play with and the added throttle response is extremely noticable...consider sport exhaust and nav as they are much more expensive to add later

love my seal grey
Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 PM
gofor28off
Racer

consider sport exhaust and nav
Rob, thanks for comments. Agree PSE is a must if not ordered as part of X51, as the fake quads on base "S" exhaust is unacceptable on a car of this caliber.
I do not care for Nav or built in phone. I wish some of the buttons on the console could be deleted for a cleaner look, but I will admit it is certainly better aesthetically than the "scabbed on" 996 console with cheap plastic CD holder!

Last edited by gofor28off; 02-20-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Paul,

Been lucking here for way too long and it has driven me to the following option configuration. There are apparently several gotta haves in the 997 and I'll highlight those (*) in my options list.

Good luck.

Dan

997 S Cabriolet 6-speed
98 Non-Metallic Paint to Sample (custom blue)
06 Natural Leather Brown
CUC Painted Model Desig Rear Lid
M6H Brown Floor Mats
P01L Adaptive Sports Sts Lthr Int
V9 Black Top
XCZ Sport Shifter *
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar
XLF Sport Exhaust System *
XRR 19" Carrera Sport wheels
XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather
267 Self Dimming Mirrors *
342 Heated Front Seats
446 Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
450 Ceramic Composite Brakes-PCCB
451 Makassar Str Whl Multifctn
482 TPMS *
498 Delete Model Designation
550 Hard Top
640 Sport Chrono Package Plus *
672 Extended Nav Module
680 Bose High End Sound Package
692 Remote CD Changer
801 Makassar Package
TD5 Tourist Delivery (12 May 06)
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Paul - I would also suggest teh supple leather seats. Cost is only $395, but adds an upscale look & feel to the seats. I have it on my 996 and really like it.

Quick Reply: 997 Purchase advise please