Sponsored by:

Clear side lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:22 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by tim martin
coochas: we might the only cars in the u.s. with ambers...hey, maybe well start "the backlash"! t.
Sounds good Tim.

I like my Amber Alert just the way it is,...no, wait a minute, that's not right!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Sad thing is my car has been knocking on cold mornings, and even I am up to mid grade
Mid grade vodka???
Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Mid grade vodka???
haha had some crappy gas at a love's in oregon get into the gastank, it was trying to cut out and it had been raining hard all night and everything, and about 3 miles down the road the car just began to act up. i called the manager at love's, he denied it vehemently, etc etc, no no way water could've gotten into the tanks - got some isopropyl alcohol to mix with the water to make it burn better, and that took care of it - drove back down to loves' the next day, got a big emberassed greasy hick manager, and got him to pay me back for half my gas bill and the bottle of isopropyl alcohol.
frankly my car could run on just about anything but water. I could probably **** in the tank and it would run, it's just a big ol' battleaxe. I could probably pour cheapass moonshine down the tank and it'd run
Old 02-10-2006, 02:14 PM
Sands
Instructor

I suppose they will come for me soon and I should prepare. I have always wondered what it would be like to be burned at the stake. And what was my crime? All I did was decide to keep my amber side markers.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sands
I suppose they will come for me soon and I should prepare. I have always wondered what it would be like to be burned at the stake. And what was my crime? All I did was decide to keep my amber side markers.
Write me into your will?
Old 02-13-2006, 06:19 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deanski
. . .Dealer also informs me that due to DOT restrictions they really should not install these. DOT requires a yellow reflector on the side markers. However, how many Honda's do you see with side clear lenses?

It's no big deal, just one of those FYI's. . .
I checked the Federal Regulations. According to 49 CFR 571.108 - Standard No. 108 Lamps, reflective devices, and associated equipment, at S5.1.1.3, "Intermediate side marker devices are not required on vehicles less than 30 feet in overall length." The remainder of the regulation, which is quite detailed, states the colors and types for instances where the side markers are required.

This would explain why many cars do not have side marker lights or reflectors at all. The regulation does not state specifically whether, if you do have side marker lamps, they must be in the colors set forth in Table III of the regulation, ie amber or red.

In reviewing opinion letters from the Chief Counsel of the NHTSA, I found an opinion letter dated 4/7/2000 that "the colors amber and red may be produced by either a white bulb and amber or red inner or outer lens, or by an amber or red bulb and a colorless or clear lens."

So it would appear that the NHTSA/DOT does not have any problem with an amber bulb behind a clear side marker lens.

I next checked the Nevada law. NRS 484.563 Colors of certain lamps, lights and reflectors provides the following:
1. Front clearance lamps, identification lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle must display or reflect an amber color.

The issue then is whether "on the side near the front of the vehicle" includes marker lamps and reflectors that are located behind the front wheel well.

Having considered all of the above, probably the safest bet, in any state, would be to buy the clear side markers from an authorized Porsche dealer, and to run the amber bulbs that are supplied with them.

I would be happy to email a copy of the CFR to anyone. Just send me a PM.

Disclaimer: None of the above is intended as specific legal advice. You should consult with your own attorney before relying upon anything stated above. Yada, yada, yada. . .

Last edited by lawjdc; 02-13-2006 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Deanski: Nice post. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

lawjdc: Thanks for the info. It clarifie sthe issue for me. Appreciate the effort.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:39 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

lawjdc, in your case, intermediate means in between the front and the rear markers - this is why 18 wheelers have lights on the side - it's required by law as they are over 30 feet.
This would be the side marker on the front fender next to the door on a euro 911
Old 02-13-2006, 08:46 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by lawjdc
This would explain why many cars do not have side marker lights or reflectors at all.
You drew the wrong conclusion from the cited reg.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
You drew the wrong conclusion from the cited reg.
agreed
Old 02-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Mike R.
Advanced

I checked out New Jersey's governing statute on this issue. It reads, in relevant part:
39:3-50. Color of lights, permits; cancellation or revocation of permits
All lamps and reflectors, which display a light visible from directly in front of a vehicle as authorized by this subtitle, shall exhibit lights substantially white, yellow or amber in color.
(a) The color of light emitted or reflected by exterior lamps or reflectors on a vehicle shall be as follows, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (b), (c) and (d) of this section:
White when the lamp is a headlamp, or spot lamp, or illuminates a license plate or a destination sign; or is located on the outside limit of a side car or other attachment on a motor cycle;
Substantially white or amber when the lamp is a side-cowl or fender lamp, running-board or other courtesy lamp, front parking lamp, back-up lamp, auxiliary driving lamp; or a turn signal on or facing the front;
Substantially red or amber when the lamp is a turn signal or a stop lamp on or facing the rear;
Red when any other lamp or any reflector is on the rear or on either side at or near the rear, except as otherwise provided in paragraph (f) of section 39:3-61 for a combination marker lamp;
Amber when any other lamp or reflector is on the front or on either side other than at or near the rear.

So for NJ drivers, unless the side light on the Porsche can be considered a "side-cowl" or"fender lamper," I would say the bulb should be amber. The cover, however, can be clear.
As lawjdc states, this is not intended as legal advice.
Mike
Old 02-18-2006, 09:28 PM
icruze
Racer

I installed the clear side markers on my 977S yesterday. Pretty easy DIY project. I've attached some photos. The process is as previoully discussed:

Turn the wheel to gain access to the wheel well.
Remove the plasic plug covering the hole that allows access to the side marker assembly.
Insert a screw driver into the hole and pop the marker out.
Pull the entire side marker assembly out and disconnect it from the cable. In order to unplug it you must remove the metal clip (not necessarily all the way).

Plug in the new side marker, push it into place then enjoy.
Attached Images      
Old 02-18-2006, 09:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Good job there, Cruiser, of photo taking and posting pics of the process. Your car looks really sharp with them now.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:08 PM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put mine in today. Looks great.

One thing I noticed was that the clip was hard to find precisely through the fender liner. As the front mount has relatively short prongs, once the rear was loosened a little, it was easy to push the front of the light rearwards and voila, the assembly came right out.

Quick Reply: Clear side lights