Clear side lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:50 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
You're not allowed to on the Club Coupes. They have to remain as factory equipped.

;-)

Dan
It's waaaayyy too late! I had mine changed on the Club Coupe (#13) before taking delivery. Now I'll be looking over my shoulder for the Porsche Police as well as the local mounties!!! Yikes!!
Old 02-08-2006, 06:16 PM
rechang
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine at sunsetimports.com. I think it was about $11 each plus shipping.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:07 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

To answer your initial question - yes, EVERYONE has changed to the clear side markers, and you will hear endless grief here if you do not change them!
Old 02-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Deanski,

Here are the Porsche factory part#'s for the clear turn signals.

997-631-034-01 side marker lamp clear right side
997-631-033-01 side marker lamp clear left side

I paid $17 per side at my dealer Ray Catena.
Thanks big guy!

Dealer also informs me that due to DOT restrictions they really should not install these. DOT requires a yellow reflector on the side markers. However, how many Honda's do you see with side clear lenses?

It's no big deal, just one of those FYI's.

I'll have it done once the car arrives.

Regards,
Deanski
Old 02-08-2006, 09:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by jcnesq
To answer your initial question - yes, EVERYONE has changed to the clear side markers, and you will hear endless grief here if you do not change them!
True statement. And this is not just for p-cars. On the Audiworld forum where I used to post, EVERYONE there has "clear corners" on their cars.
I would like to add the escape clause for Speed Yellow cars on which the stock US amber lenses look better (in my humble opinion).
Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Follow the procedure in the manual. Do not try to pull the unit out by force. I repeat, do not try to pull the unit out. You'll damage it. Ask me how I know.

There is an access port inside the wheelwell through which you need to insert a long small flat blade screwdriver to depress the spring clip that holds the unit in place. Make sure you turn your wheel in first for easy access with the screwdriver. Once you depress the spring clip the unit comes free easily.
I started out using Ben's former described method, but after 5 minutes of blindly prodding and poking the little "access port" with said screwdriver (an analogy my wife sometimes refers to ... ), in frustration, I resorted to his latter method..... with unexpected successful results.

sometimes good luck has it's merit over good management.....
Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

I'll compromise so the Porsche Police don't beat me with their nightsticks. How about I'll change them to clear, but keep the originals in the trunk!
Old 02-08-2006, 11:49 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Any dealer will have them. They are available individually, right and left. Price is about $17.00 each, so $34.00 for the pair. Dealer might give you a discount.... better yet, ask your sales person to have them put on the car prior to delivery. Maybe he will make that one of your "delivery day freebies".... then again, maybe not.
haha, if you're that cheap, $34....
Old 02-09-2006, 12:00 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I started out using Ben's former described method, but after 5 minutes of blindly prodding and poking the little "access port" with said screwdriver (an analogy my wife sometimes refers to ... ), in frustration, I resorted to his latter method..... with unexpected successful results.

sometimes good luck has it's merit over good management.....
Okay, now I'm confused. LOL

You started out using my former method, which was the brute force method. Then you had success with my latter method - reading the manual, using the screwdriver after turning the wheel, and presto, right???
Old 02-09-2006, 01:44 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Quick question: did you change the bulb as well to keep everything clear or did you keep the yellow bulb in the clear side marker (reason I ask is because I changed the bulb to clear but then is that 'legal', and if not what are the chaces of getting in trouble?).
Old 02-09-2006, 02:12 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
Quick question: did you change the bulb as well to keep everything clear or did you keep the yellow bulb in the clear side marker (reason I ask is because I changed the bulb to clear but then is that 'legal', and if not what are the chaces of getting in trouble?).
The clears come with an amber bulb. I just did a switcheroo without changing bulbs. Besides, I like the amber bulbs in the clears. And yes, I believe it's illegal to have clear bulbs with clear markers. Why give the cops a reason to pull you over and maybe write you up for something altogether different and possibly more expensive?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

no cop will pull you over for speeding and write you up for a hardly noticeable bulb.
Few options here
ricer blue bulb
red bulb (might be sorta' neat)
amber
clear
etc....
Old 02-09-2006, 10:11 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
Okay, now I'm confused. LOL

You started out using my former method, which was the brute force method. Then you had success with my latter method - reading the manual, using the screwdriver after turning the wheel, and presto, right???
Ummm, I was referring to the order in which you had the methods listed in your post, not your actual process.

Message to self:
posting after the NYR beat pants off the Ottawa Sens and I've had a couple of scotches to ease the pain..... may lead to in some, myself included! LOL
Old 02-09-2006, 10:24 AM
brownie
Advanced

Note that most 2006 BMWs have clear side markers as delivered. They are getting through the system at port obviously with DOT blessing. If they can do it why can't Porsche?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:42 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deanski
. . . Dealer also informs me that due to DOT restrictions they really should not install these. DOT requires a yellow reflector on the side markers. However, how many Honda's do you see with side clear lenses?
Perhaps your dealer is mistaken. My BMW X5 came with clear sidemarkers with amber bulbs. Many cars do not even have side markers, much less ones with amber lenses. Some sidemarkers flash with the turn signals, some don't. I seriously doubt if the local gens d'armes care what color your sidemarkers are. Maybe some bureaucrat cares at DOT hq in Washington, but not the locals. Besides, the new P-cars are so dazzling anyway, especially the Club Coupes with the Azurro California paint, the last thing they will notice is the sidemarkers!

Quick Reply: Clear side lights