Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Does Your Username Signify?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So where is the confirmation from the man himself??!! 500bhp in 1985... took some pocket money there i'll bet. well done all this has been quite an intreaguing thread. Ben, congrats on the approach and line of questioning.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
We should ask the moderators to force him to append an 'hp' to the end of his name
Well actually he said there are two areas where he has reached 500 units.

And that would have to be HP and FT-LBS, as in torque. But I'm sure if he had to pick one it would be HP.

EDIT:
Originally Posted by dianic
So where is the confirmation from the man himself??!!
Doesn't matter what he says now. We really don't care at this point.

We already decided what it's gonna mean, whether he likes it or not.

Last edited by OCBen; 01-31-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by John NY-Naples
I'm sufficiently intrigued to want to throw out a guess for the meaning of 500 -- getting 500 hp out of an enginge through mods?
DING DING DING...we have a winner!!!
In 1985 I was very fortunate to have my gray market triple black 930 turbo's engine completely modified by Kremmer to achieve the magic 500hp #...and do I ever miss that car; when the tach redlined (close to 8000rpm) the engine was so smooth people used to say it felt like it could go all the way around again. Not being a trust fund baby and have worked very, very hard I was quite proud to have already owned/being able to purchase such awesome cars in my early 20's, I actually owned four 930's, an 84,85,87 and 88...the 85 Kremmer car was just something special. Like an idiot, I sold it and bought a new Ferrari in 87 and within a few months went right back to my beloved 930's but the Kremmer car was long gone by then. The other two units were for the NA engines in my 28' Cigarette, which I had extensively upgraded to 500 hp a piece also in 1985...let me tell you 1000hp in a rather light weight (interior was completely gutted in order to save weight) 28' Cigarette is a real rush! My friends started calling me 500 and for many years it just stuck...my other nickname was speedy. As I mentioned 500 (hp) is so much easier to obtain these days especially for a Porsche, just walk into the local dealer plop down your $ and off you go. Now the 16 over and 31 under in 2006 was referring to my 06 E55; that car stock, had 469 hp and 516 lb ft of trq...what a torque monster. I'm a bit embarrassed to say but have been very blessed to have owned over 14 new Porsche's and many other fine cars over the years. I'm 46 now and am quite happy with my 07 997S but friends keep bugging me to get another triple black turbo. Thanks to Ben for wanting to play as it was quite fun. I tried not to make the clues too easy and figured someone would relate it to power and or a Porsche. Congrats again to John.

John, Ben will provide you with your prize (his personal 997) ...

just kidding.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 500
DING DING DING...we have a winner!!!
In 1985 I was very fortunate to have my gray market triple black 930 turbo's engine completely modified by Kremmer to achieve the magic 500hp #...and do I ever miss that car; when the tach redlined (close to 8000rpm) the engine was so smooth people used to say it felt like it could go all the way around again. Not being a trust fund baby and have worked very, very hard I was quite proud to have already owned/being able to purchase such awesome cars in my early 20's, I actually owned four 930's, an 84,85,87 and 88...the 85 Kremmer car was just something special. Like an idiot, I sold it and bought a new Ferrari in 87 and within a few months went right back to my beloved 930's but the Kremmer car was long gone by then. The other two units were for the NA engines in my 28' Cigarette, which I had extensively upgraded to 500 hp a piece also in 1985...let me tell you 1000hp in a rather light weight (interior was completely gutted in order to save weight) 28' Cigarette is a real rush! My friends started calling me 500 and for many years it just stuck...my other nickname was speedy. As I mentioned 500 (hp) is so much easier to obtain these days especially for a Porsche, just walk into the local dealer plop down your $ and off you go. Now the 16 over and 31 under in 2006 was referring to my 06 E55; that car stock, had 469 hp and 516 lb ft of trq...what a torque monster. I'm a bit embarrassed to say but have been very blessed to have owned over 14 new Porsche's and many other fine cars over the years. I'm 46 now and am quite happy with my 07 997S but friends keep bugging me to get another triple black turbo. Thanks to Ben for wanting to play as it was quite fun. I tried not to make the clues too easy and figured someone would relate it to power and or a Porsche. Congrats again to John.

John, Ben will provide you with your prize (his personal 997) ...

just kidding.

I was expecting this to be a disappointing answer, but it was actually satisfying.

I can't believe it was so damn obvious and yet nobody got if for so long. Good job John and Ben (your questioning was logical).
Old 01-31-2007, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by 9974G
I was expecting this to be a disappointing answer, but it was actually satisfying.

I can't believe it was so damn obvious and yet nobody got if for so long. Good job John and Ben (your questioning was logical).
Your comment saying it would take 500 posts was an excellent and amusing thought...
Old 01-31-2007, 08:05 PM
oalvarez
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 9974G
Okay, I think I've got it: It's the number of posts before the mystery is solved. We're at 388 with this post...so only 112 to go!

9974G, can you make your Avatar jiggle around for us?

Old 01-31-2007, 08:39 PM
John NY-Naples
Racer

"John, Ben will provide you with your prize (his personal 997)"

As much as I would love to take Ben's 997 off of his hands, I did the easy part. Ben had the harder task of asking the right questions. It's a bit like soccer, which I've been playing since the '70s -- the guy who scores the goal gets the credit, but the guy who gets the assist is the one who deserves the credit. This was a lot of fun.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:57 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yeah, it was a lot of fun, Mr. HP! ... I'm glad you didn't just blurt it out and give it away after all that hard work in setting it up for John to score the winning goal!

Silly me, I start out looking for the most arcane meaning, when one of my very first questions should have been the obvious one: "Does it have anything to do with cars!" ... D'Oh!

Would have been over in 5 posts or less! ...
Old 01-31-2007, 09:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 500
The other two units were for the NA engines in my 28' Cigarette, which I had extensively upgraded to 500 hp a piece also in 1985...let me tell you 1000hp in a rather light weight (interior was completely gutted in order to save weight) 28' Cigarette is a real rush!
Never heard of a 28' Cigarette. ... Sounds like it might be a 28 ft speedboat with dual engines.

Wow, what a hobby to certainly be proud of!

Guess you know by now who's gonna get hit up for advice on how best to get some bolt-on horsepower. ... And I'll be the first one standing in line.

Btw, great story of how you got that nickname. ... Certainly one of the most interesting and well deserving usernames by far! ... Way to go!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:34 PM
cleanme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahahaha oh man, that was golden! I can't believe we missed it!
Old 01-31-2007, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by OCBen
Never heard of a 28' Cigarette. ... Sounds like it might be a 28 ft speedboat with dual engines.

Wow, what a hobby to certainly be proud of!

Guess you know by now who's gonna get hit up for advice on how best to get some bolt-on horsepower. ... And I'll be the first one standing in line.

Btw, great story of how you got that nickname. ... Certainly one of the most interesting and well deserving usernames by far! ... Way to go!
Thank you Ben.

A Cigarette is an offshore type power/racing boat. They stopped making the 28 some years ago (mine was an SS), it was a very sweet boat that handled what ever the ocean (or I) threw at it. Doing 80+mph on the water is amazing not to mention when the seas got rough it wasn't really boating but a form of flying. I was quite fortunate enough to learn how to operate my boat by a friend who used to race them.

Here'a link to Cigarette: https://www.cigaretteracing.com/index.cfm?

The older Porsche turbo's were quite easy to modify, a euro exhaust, stiffer waste gate spring to get the boost up to 1.0 bar, remove the cats, some SC cams, larger intercooler and bigger fuel injectors really increased the power up from the "stock" 288 to close to 400, but getting to that magic 500 is where it took some real talent ie; Kremmer (who recently died btw) especially if one wanted longevity like me. I used to have to add the black bottle 104+ racing octane booster with each tank to keep any detonation at bay and the exhaust would get a nice burnt orange tint on the inside from the booster; the boat ran on av gas or cam2 only. I am not exaggerating in the least when I would race very fast street bikes and beat them from 40 mph+ all day long. I always preferred the 4 speed cars as second gear was good for 90-100mph (depending on the state of tune/gearing) so you could stay in the power band or sweet spot (around 3500 rpms) quite easily. What a car, what a company, what a life! The 80's were a magical time for me and to make things even more interesting I was dating the location director for Miami Vice.

Now I'm a boring guy driving a stock S as an everday car and had to give up the offshore stuff do to too many compressed discs from the rough days in the ocean.

I enjoy my time on the forum quite a bit and thank everyone here.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
OCBen
Banned

As an interesting side note, I noticed last night that this thread, by coincidence, happened to be listed on the forum thread listing next to the one about Satellite Radio, and I just happened to notice that both threads have nearly the same number of replies but the satellite radio thread has about 3 times as many views! ... And both threads started a year ago about a week apart.

That serves to illustrate how wide an audience this open forum has through the internet's world wide web. There are many eyes peering in - more than we realize. The actual posters here make up a very small minority. The overwhelming majority are here looking for information they can use. They couldn't care less about our usernames. But satellite radio? You'd think only a minority of 997 owners would be interested in that. ... How big is this audience?

Anyway, if anybody else would like to play "Guess My Username" jump right in.

Last edited by OCBen; 02-01-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:05 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben . . . is that you . . . new avatar and all? No fanfare, just a revival of an old thread? Anyway, welcome back.

BTW, my username is quite uncreative - first name, last initial.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:06 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Welcome back Ben
Old 03-17-2008, 05:13 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

InTheAir....meaning in the air flying (read: pilot)

(I'm not exactly a "new" member, but new to this particular forum...)

Jeff

Quick Reply: What Does Your Username Signify?