Sponsored by:

Back end hopping on launch

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 10:40 AM
FastInATL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back end hopping on launch

I have an '05 Carrera S, with PASM and Sport Chrono. Every time I try and do a fast launch, like leaving a light, my back end hops up and down before finally hooking up. It is really violent and pretty quick and continues almost until I'm ready to shift into second.

I don't do many launches with this car because I just don't get the thrill out of that like I did when I was a kid, but still there are times when I'm showing someone the car or just want to get moving and there's no way it's supposed to be like this. My 996 didn't do this. It seems to happen regardless of if I'm in Sport mode or not. I've also just changed from the Michelins to the Contis and it still does it.

Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:54 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds sorta dumb to me to abuse your car like that

It is a "Sports Car" after all, not a muscle car
Old 01-03-2006, 11:46 AM
FastInATL
Intermediate

I agree, but there is nothign wrong with doing a fast launch every now and again. I mean I understand I'm wearing the car out faster than if I granny drive it, but it shouldn't be hopping like that regardless. 99% of the time I drive my car pretty gently, but quickly, but every once in a while I like to take off.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
MMD
Banned

Gotta ask teh obvious. Are you sure the rubber's warm/hot when you launch? Also, tire mfgr may be a factor? Some rubber is stickier (less hoppy) than others?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
FastInATL
Intermediate

It is certainly worse when it's cold, but even when I had the Michelins pretty warm, like after auto-x, they seemed to do it far more than I would have thought was normal. But it is a good point, they condition of the tires does have an effect for sure.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:20 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastInATL
It is certainly worse when it's cold, but even when I had the Michelins pretty warm, like after auto-x, they seemed to do it far more than I would have thought was normal. But it is a good point, they condition of the tires does have an effect for sure.

happens in 911 ( and other cars) you get too much wheel spin then grip and then spin so the suspensions starts hopping...i know its annoying but i had it in boxster,996 and 997s... my Gt3 with LSD wouldnt do it. dont launch so hard its not getting you away any faster
Old 01-03-2006, 01:03 PM
MMD
Banned

Oh BTW, just wondering if this hopping also called "tramping?"
Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
Oh BTW, just wondering if this hopping also called "tramping?"
yes
Old 01-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Question

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm still a first-time waiter and - as a German - maybe not all that familiar with some of the vocabulary. Are you telling me - in essence - that I cannot pull away quickly at a green light from 0-65 mph without experiencing "tramping"? Or does "quick launch" refer to already spinning your wheels before taking off? I was certainly hoping for quicker green light pull-aways than with my current 350Z.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:39 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
Excuse my ignorance, but I'm still a first-time waiter and - as a German - maybe not all that familiar with some of the vocabulary. Are you telling me - in essence - that I cannot pull away quickly at a green light from 0-65 mph without experiencing "tramping"? Or does "quick launch" refer to already spinning your wheels before taking off? I was certainly hoping for quicker green light pull-aways than with my current 350Z.
if you rev it up and drop the clutch the spinning wheels will hop and you dont go anywhere very fast. if you want a fast launch you do not spin the wheels you balance the revs, clutch and traction and the grip is excellent. if you roll away and floor it you will have no problems
Old 01-03-2006, 03:31 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Yah cold tires, roads that are a bit damp will do it. This I think is partly to blame by having huge *** rear tires and a lot of negative camber and the engine weight sitting on them.
The car has to much grip and doesn't have enough power to make those tires spin freely so it does the hop.
My car does it and 996 TT do it, Simply let off the throttle a bit and let the car get grip and then get back on the thottle. Good way to wear out your rear tires.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Lightbulb

Thanks, NOBLEGT3! That makes sense now.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:37 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

As nobleGT3 said, you're not getting away quicker but rather slower; The law of Dimishing Returns. Throttle it back a bit, this will increase traction and reduce hoping, just watch your clutch when launching...
Old 01-03-2006, 07:51 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

PSM on or off?
Old 01-03-2006, 08:09 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by FastInATL
Every time I try and do a fast launch, like leaving a light, my back end hops
I remember one of the magazine reviews commenting that to get their fastest 0-60 times the Carrera experienced axle hop. Seems like you have to beat most cars to get the numbers we read about in the road tests.

Alan

Quick Reply: Back end hopping on launch