Garage Floors

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts
Lightbulb Garage Floors

Been spending the last several weeks preparing for the ultimate garage occupant (still months away, however) and wonder what you folks recommend for garage floors. I'm in Southern California so I'm not going to be dragging snow or slush in there ever. I just replaced all my garage doors, openers, and they're laying in new parking and driveway areas in pavers,--time to address the garage floor. Griott's has the special paint that supposedly never lifts ("if prepared properly") but now has tiles and all sorts of other options to cover that concrete.

Experiences? Successes?

Would like to hear all the stories,--good deals, AND the horror stories!

Dan

2006 Carrera S Cab 12 May 06 Delivery
98 Paint to Sample (Gulf Blue), RA Full leather--Cocoa Brown, V5 Cocoa top,
M6C Cocoa mats, 342 Heated Front Seats, 680 Bose Stereo, 692 Remote CD,
450 Ceramic Brakes PCCB, 482 Tire Pressure Monitoring Sys, 550 Hard Top,
640 Sport Chrono, P01L Adaptive Spt Seats, XLF 2-Stage Spt Exhaust,
407 SportDesign Wheels, 451 Makassar Str Whl Mult Function, 801 Makassar Package,
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar, XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather,
498 Delete Model Designation, CUC Painted Model Desig Rear, Euro Delivery
Old 11-26-2005, 12:31 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sometimes use this concrete "sealer" which is almost impossible to detect. It "shows up" when your paint starts to peel a few months later. It is used more to keep the concrete from cracking when it hardens just after installation. Make sure you don't have this stuff painted on.Ask the contractor if the house is new. Try using the Home Depot generic "citric" "safe" paint stripper on a small area to see if the sealant lifts off. If it does, you know you have it, then you have to strip the whole floor. Unfortunately I'm talking from experience; whole garage floor had to be stripped of new paint and re done: was bad. Also when they say "etch" the concrete with acid they mean it. You are cleaning it, burning off calcium deposits which feel and look like concrete but won't permit paint to stick; "etching" is misleading, more like "cleaning." Good LUCK! (paint seems to require luck).
Old 11-26-2005, 01:37 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, my experience is very different.

I used liquid granite and it works like a charm. The etching is not done with acid it done using "ball bearings" to rough up the floor, then the paint and "granite" flakes are applied, finally covered with a coat of epoxy.

Great for clean ups and looks.

It's not cheap to do correctly, but if done correctly it doesn't look cheap.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:29 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reccomend Sherwin Williams ArmorSeal 1000 Marine/Industrial grade epoxy floor paint. I have used it in two different garage floors and it is INDESTRUCTABLE! Follow the instructions and you will never worry about painting gain. http://www2.sherwin-williams.com/im/...p?nav=Products
Old 11-26-2005, 04:42 PM
jsparky
Track Day

I unfortunately have a one car garage. I just had it insulated and heated for my club coupe. I'm considering tiles as a floor solution. has any one had experience with
this product. i believe cost is between $3.00 and $4.00 a square ft. thanks jack
Old 11-26-2005, 05:41 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

U-Coat-IT is what I put down the second time and it has been bullet proof
Old 11-26-2005, 09:20 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of applying this epoxy. Hope it works better then the Behr stuff.

http://www.supercoat.us/
Old 11-26-2005, 09:54 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

For you guys doing epoxy, whats involved in prep?
Old 11-26-2005, 10:15 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Acid wash to clean and then neutralize the floor.

Etch with machine, to provide good bonding surface

Apply paint and then flakes for effect ( if you do it yourself, wear those studded shoes to walk over it, if necessary)

Apply coat (s) of epoxy

Let cure for about a week (to be safe)

Voila!

For more information do a google search on "liquid granite", that's what I used but I had somebody do it for me.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:18 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JASCLASS
For you guys doing epoxy, whats involved in prep?
I just applied the Sherwin Williams product and I acid etched first, then TSPed, then applied the product. One tip--stir the product often to ensure uniform color. As with just about everything, prep is very important and usually a real PITA too

HTH
Old 11-26-2005, 10:54 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

Six years ago I put a checkerboard floor down using Armstrong Vinyl Floor Tiles (peel & stick) from Home Depot. Not only was it inexpensive and easy to do, it cleaned up with a wet mop and nothing stained it. I've since sold the house, but here's a picture of the application. This is a quick and cheap way to improve your garage's decor.

Old 11-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Many thanks for all the great tips and suggestions. My 3-car garage is as old as the house (circa 1967) so it's got its issues with this and that on it. I prepped the concrete in another 3-car garage several years ago just like the directions said (usually muriatic acid to etch it) and it lifted when hot tires sat on it for any length of time. I can see that the newer stuff seems to be working. Hey,--how do you keep your garages so NEAT??

Thanks again!

Dan

P.S. Appreciated the photos!
Old 11-27-2005, 01:30 PM
fast lane
Racer

check out race deck, I just did my garage about 2 months ago it's awesome. It took me about four hours to cover my floor which is 24' by 24'. I would post pics but my floor is currently covered with a tarp because I have some renovations being done in my house. They have a nice website to look I believe it's racedeck.com
Old 11-27-2005, 02:07 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
Six years ago I put a checkerboard floor down using Armstrong Vinyl Floor Tiles (peel & stick) from Home Depot. Not only was it inexpensive and easy to do, it cleaned up with a wet mop and nothing stained it. I've since sold the house, but here's a picture of the application. This is a quick and cheap way to improve your garage's decor.

What does the application process entail? What do you have to do in terms of prep work for the original surface?
Old 11-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 163 Posts

I just thoroughly cleaned the cement floor with floor detergent (I think Spic & Span?), let it dry, snapped a plumb line for the first line of tiles (to make sure things were "square"), and then started peeling and sticking. Took about two hours, start-to-finish.
I visited the guy who bought my house about a month ago - the tiles are still there. He's replaced a couple of them, but that's it. (He parks some bright red Italian car on it...what a waste!) Remember this is Southern California so, the floor takes minimal environmental punishment.
In my newer (much smaller) digs, I put the same tile treatment on the walls as a decoration. Haven't gotten around to doing the garage floor yet.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Garage Floors