Sponsored by:

Garage Floors

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 10:09 PM
icruze
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deven,

How slick does the tile get when it is wet? Also what did you do to clean the concrete before you intalled the title?
Old 02-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

The tile is actually not very slippery. There was a post a while back giving step by step intsructions on how to install the tile.

I used a power washer to prep the concrete. The joints were then filed with a special concrete filer (there was a learning curve on how to mix this concrete as it hardened to fast). Then came the glue after deciding on the pattern (I was going to do 2* 2, or diagonal, but decided on the checkerboard). Putting the glue down also was easy but a small learning curve). Laying the tile is very easy and quick (buy knee pads as it is hard on the knees).

The most important steps we did not do right away (was a mistake). Zep and other products have multiple sealers and polishers (I think we used step, 2-3-4) and that is what gives the tile the rich glossy look but it takes 6-7 coats for the look(remember the school floors). Cleaning is with soap and water and periodically can re-polish with a mop.

I have not done the step yet but I was planning on putting a 3 inch rubber 'boarder' (the stuff that gets put on the wlll next to the floor, but backward, as the rubber has ridges) with a slight overhang which will help not chip the edge of the tile (already has happened, but very easy to replace). Similarly I will put the same rubber edge at the junction of the floor and driveway. And use the reverse side (correct side) polished to run up the wall 3 inches to finalize the project (I have been lazy, but soon).

We rented the 50 lb roller which was useful. We also rented a occillating floor polisher, but that was not need. The best tool to buy is a tile cutter which was about 50 bucks (similar to the paper cutters in art class), but well worth it if many cuts are required. The tile cost 0.60 per tile and we have about 650 sq feet for a 3 car garage. The glue, concrete and tools added maybe $150.

Our 'next' garage we will be more efficient in prep/laying and finishing. I thought about using some other colors (lightblue, beige, etc) and doing different patterns. The tile sits very tight and no gaps are present. Over 20 feet and we were rarely off by 1-2 mm row by row or column by column.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:18 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Why don't you do what my friend did and marble tile your garage floor. Sure it ain't cheap, but it looks real nice This guys garage is the finest I have ever seen and it's right here in NJ.
My, that friend of yours with that Ferrari there, he sure has a lot of storage space for tools with all those tool drawers. You don't suppose there's a corrolation between owning a Ferrari and having to do repair work, do you?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:25 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
I tried the Armstrong Vinyl tile route as mentioned here and before. It was a fun project and it looks good.

After just washing it:
Looks real nice. But, frankly, I never cared for the checkerboard/chessboard look. I know it's supposed to be for the winner's checkered flag. But that's what it reminds me more of. I think I would be too tempted to make giant checkers or chess pieces and start up a game. And don't tell me the thought hasn't crossed your mind! ...
Old 02-16-2006, 02:30 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

it's too busy, makes my eyes dart all over - not my thing
but that's a personal opinion
BTW who's the kid abandoned in the stroller?
Old 02-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

The floor looks great. It's very sporty. When you are polishing your car, do the different reflections in the paint present any problems?
Old 02-16-2006, 12:02 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
That is one sweet garage--kinda surprised he doesn't have a lift of some sort in it tho
Ohh he's got a lift alright, and a DYNO as well. It's on the other side of his garage!!!!! Trust me this guy is well set up. Plus his garage has a full bath with shower
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by boolala
Not my style but, I have to admit, I have never seen a skylight in a garage before.

By the way marble is not that expensive. About $15 a sq foot. What's the big deal?
It depends what marble you are talking about? It does vary just like anything else.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

I know, sometimes I wounder if I just should have done the chip epoxy, and that can always be a project for the future if I get bored of the checkerboard pattern (with minimal lost cost, apart from my time).

We were joking about getting big chess/checker pieces and playing, but never did.

The kid is my daugher who was getting in the 'way' (wet), when I was washing the floor so I secured her in the stroller, lol.

I had briefly toyed with the idea of actual stone tile (not marble as it is too soft, but either granite or travertine) but then stopped to realize that this is just the 'garage' though it would look awsome (especially with the 24 inch tile layed diagonal).
Old 02-17-2006, 12:27 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Ohh he's got a lift alright, and a DYNO as well. It's on the other side of his garage!!!!! Trust me this guy is well set up. Plus his garage has a full bath with shower
hook us up with ALL the garage pics?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:47 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

nevermind found his website -
WOW
Old 02-18-2006, 11:50 AM
fskof
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 110 Posts

Leader- Where did you get that Porsche logo that you have hanging on your garage wall? I have been looking everywhere for one and can only find the little ones.

Great looking cars you got there!!!!!
Old 02-18-2006, 11:53 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmmm, guess he's what you'd call a gearhead, huh?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:01 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Spent my evening painting the garage last night.

I went to Lowes today and looked at the Armstrong Vinyl flooring and wasn't particularly impressed. Something about it didn't look right to me. I'm going to clean and prep the floor tonight and decide if I'm going to pull the trigger on some Racedeck or Kiwi Tiles or go with another solution...
Old 02-18-2006, 04:51 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

racedeck
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Garage Floors