Sponsored by:

Rejex

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 06:03 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I always get a kick out of seeing the products that the "professional detailers" use. None of the consumer products available, but mystery products for the trade in plain jane containers.

Wax on Wax off
Old 10-21-2005, 06:34 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah I know. And they're usually gallon size plain jane containers too. ... One time I asked one of these so-called professional detailers what they were using in that big jug they were carrying around that got the tires to look so black and so good. He told me it was by AutoGlym and only sold in those jugs.

Well, turns out they sell it in smaller consumer packaged sizes (I think it's an 8 oz or more) at a local detailer supply store. And boy, does it ever do an excellent job on tires. It's actually called "AutoGlym Tyre Dressing" and is made in England. After 20 yrs of detailing as a hobby, I have finally found the very best tire dressing. Doesn't get slimy, sticky or anything but black as black and very clean too, with no residue to speak of. Offers good UV protection too.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

I am constantly amused by the people that brand themselves experts, especially those that frequent hobby boards on what a great service they do for brand name products, especially car care products. This segment of the auto industry is a multi-billion dollar one, extremely competitive and it relies on word-of-mouth endorsements such as those in this thread to be successful.

While I don't put myself in the same league as these legends of car care, I do stand by what I say. I am sharing my experiences of what has been successful for me in auto surface care so that others can consider them and if they choose use them in their car care regime.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:56 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, everyone is different, and everyone lives in different conditions with their cars. Basically I think I will be putting RejeX only on my daily car's bumpers and mirrors at first. And right over the wax job I do. I don't care if it only lasts 3 months or less because I maintain my finish regularly. I can just reapply.

Like i said, some people swear by Souveran Carnauba. It IS good. Especially in artificial light...but it does NOTHING to protect. It swirled on me WITH clean microfiber! nd it didn't nearly reflect in sun like other products I use. Other people feel the opposite.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:08 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Orient Express
I am constantly amused by the people that brand themselves experts, especially those that frequent hobby boards on what a great service they do for brand name products, especially car care products....While I don't put myself in the same league as these legends of car care, I do stand by what I say.
Yep, I'm not one to call myself an expert either, nor a Guru of any kind. I can only vouch for what I've tried and what works for me. I also rely on my background in material science to help me discern what can potentially work and what can potentially harm, without having to take the risk. I can vouch for what Meguiar's says about using detergents to wash your car. They are not alone, by far, in this either. Rubber molding can dry out prematurely and start to crack over time if one uses detergents for car washing. If you still stand by this use, that's your prerogative. But I would never recommend it to anyone. In fact, I would dissuade anyone from doing that.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

So, let me clarify again!

The question was what about a recommendation on what to use to strip a car's finish of wax, etc. in preparation to apply Rejex, not what sort of soap is best for routine washing.

For an annual or semi-annual surface preparation for a fresh coat of Rejex, a detergent such as a dish washing soap which is more aggressive than automotive soap is appropriate because you want it to remove all of the surface coatings. A conventional automotive soap is by design not going to remove wax or other surface coatings.

For routine washing (which is not what we are discussing), then a conventional automotive soap is a proper choice.

So yes, I do stand by what I stated.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:51 AM
OCBen
Banned

Geez, why are you so hard headed? It is NEVER, EVER good to use detergents on your car, if you care at all about preserving it. ...PERIOD... That was the whole point! ... If you want to occasionally strip the wax, then you use a specially designed wax stripper for cars, usually referred to as a paintwork cleanser, which apparently you have never heard of since you think it is "repackaged and diluted detergent with the same makeup as dishwashing detergent", which makes me wonder, if you're ignorant about this product, what makes you think you know what you're talking about in the first place? Anybody who appeals to the "general consensus" as their authority for recommending dish soap is basically saying "I don't know why but this is what I see people use." The chemists at Meguiar's apparently couldn't convince you. I doubt anybody will.

I gave the guy two highly recommended products for paintwork preparation, one of which I myself can personally vouch for, the other being from another high quality manufacturer.

If you're interested in learning more about routine washing you might want to check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/232170-preventing-fine-micro-scratches-and-keeping-your-new-car-looking-new.html
Old 10-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

For what its worth, i use Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner. After that, and my polishing, wax... etc... my S2 finish feels like silk. Yes, it REALLY does. When you wash it after that, it's always really slippery and slick too.

Paint that is properly prepared should be like a slick glass surface. No resistence or texture when you gently run your hand over it.

If I need to strip wax etc...then I would ONLY use something that touches that part of the car. Why wash the ENTIRE car with something designed to strip a product? I also tape off my car when I detail. Just makes sense.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Not bad for 15 year old, original paint. Obviously something is working!

Old 10-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Tony:

Your car looks great. One good thing about this tread is that it has brought out a wide variety of opinions,

and a pompous twit as well.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

As the resident Concours Guru....
By god, I finally agree with you. Anyone who struts into this forum calling himself a Concours Guru while his own car wears the old fashioned, scratch-generating vinyl bra has got to be a pompous twit.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:59 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen
Anyone who struts into this forum calling himself a Concours Guru while his own car wears the old fashioned, scratch-generating vinyl bra has got to be a pompous twit.

Give the nasty sarcasm a rest; it makes all your commentaries ignorable.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Yeah, you're right. ... No need to be nasty. ... My apologies.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:01 PM
baboou
Instructor

Tony:

Your car looks great. One good thing about this tread is that it has brought out a wide variety of opinions,

and a pompous twit as well.
LMAO.This thread absolutely cracks me up. Stephenkng asked a simple question about using Rejex on his new pp7. Some who have used the product gave it a big thumbs up and as I recall at least one user didnot like it. Then we have the others, at least one drama queen and one self proclaimed expert. But oddly enough neither has used the product but are still wont to state to use it only on wheels and maybe the bumper. One goes on to say that the product is all hype or words to that effect.

Users of Rejex on the other hand proclaim the obvious. Yes it does make bugs easier to get off, yes it gives a pretty good shine, and yes it lasts a long time. One user, a veteran concours competitor, indicates that he's tried a number of products and thinks Rejex is the best. But wait, this is not good enough for the self proclaimed expert. No, a concours judge told him that it's cleanliness, not shine that matters so basically your product still sucks. Well, I'm here to tell you that having judged several concours in my time, gloss does matter and any judge that told you otherwise has not told you the entire story or you haven't told the entire story. Moreover, Orient Express, you're wearing the wrong bra - I mean sheesh, have we stooped so low as to critisize someone's lingerie

And finally we come to washing or preping you car before polishing or wasing. Again the naysayers, oh nooooo, dishwashing detergent will destroy your finish and probably melt your car . Funny, Autotopia Car Car states in their "Getting the Perfect Shine" article that it's perfectly alright to use Dawn Dishwshing liquid to strip the old polish/wax or if your car is dirty. So I guess my car will not melt.

Lastly, for Stephenkng, I've used Rejex, Zaino and NXT among a number of other products over the years. All three give a great shine, are easy to use and last a long time. Rejex does do a better job in terms of getting bugs and brake dust off easier than the others.

For the rest of you naysayeers, I would suggest you first try a product before turning thumbs down on it. And for those that need to drag out their various degrees to add substance to their indefensible argument, I would suggest pulling the stick out ofyour............and get a life.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:43 PM
MMD
Banned

Just imagine all us guys in the same garage, enjoying a beer, standing around each other's cars. We're talking, speculating, wondering, BS'ing, trying to figure stuff out. So what if you think somebody said something stupid? Maybe what he said sounds stupid because you didn't hear what he really said. You just tell him so and he probably agrees and you all have a good laugh? If another guy disagrees you can probably tell him a few details that you left out, or clairify what you meant. This name calling and "sarcasm" just wouldn't be part of it, right? Everybody eventually has something to add to someone else's benefit. That's why it's called enjoyable. It's a frickin' hobby, we're not arguing about effecting a prognosis, or trying to develop a strategy to get out of the red.

Quick Reply: Rejex